“Our stay 15th-18th July 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Peckforton Castle

Peckforton Castle
nottingham
“Our stay 15th-18th July 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

I have just spent 30 mins+ on this website reading the reviews and woud just like to say there are some very picky people in this world! My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights (Room 602) 101 steps (after a breathless count) the room was a Classic bedroom and we had a lovely view of Beeston Castle from our window (we are actually from Beeston in Nottingham so it was quite novel). We couldnt fault anything, the staff, the food, the peace and quiet was everything we could have hoped for. We took a good look around (wish we had had a guided tour but managed to find our way around easily). On the day we had to checkout I had arranged a surprise Falconry experience for my husband (early Anniversary/Birthday) and must commend Mitch for his passion/experience of the birds (which I may add are on view everyday near the Castle entrance) - his face was a picture when I finally told him he would be flying these immaculate birds - yes even the big bald eagle. Mitch you are a credit to Peckforton Castle. For those of you thinking about a trip to the Castle do not be put off by the negative comments you read because if you do you will be missing out on something special. We cant wait to return for another stay.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nottsgal42
Michael A, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. So glad you and your Husband had such a good time staying with us. Mitch is indeed a credit to the team and he will be thrilled to receive your comments. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

As you drive up to the castle it takes your breath away whilst not being centuries old it is how you would imagine a castle to be and you won't be disappointed . Staff were helpful and polite our room was the Broxton room in one of the turrets up a spiral stair case need to be fit !!!!!! Beautiful room bathroom to die for view from windows beautiful . We ha d a meal staff were amazing, food was good but not excellent . We would highly recommend to friends, castle is large we did get lost a few times but staff around to help. There was a wedding when we went so a lot of doors banging below our room but they are fire doors so needs must. Had a spooky encounter in the night was woken by something or one looking in window but when we went to look no one was there? Also something grabbed my husbands hand in the night and tried to pull him out of bed !!!!!! All good fun !!!!!

Room Tip: Do not pick a room in turrets unless fit lots of spiral stairs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had a most enjoyable stay even with things that go bump in the night..... See you again soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Peckforton is a hidden world not obvious from the outside. A impressive gatehouse is the only hint of what's hidden in the woods. A long drive up the hill, then a massive gateway into the centre of Peckforton. This is the main visual feature and is very impressive. Drop your bags, then park your car in the woods outside. I have stopped here 5 times now, so I hope this is a honest review. Many different bedrooms are available, it has always been a surprise on each visit. Hidden rooms at the top of small spiral staircases in the tower, impressive Exec. Rooms, good standard rooms, then the massive suite on our last visit in July. (Thanks P.C. Made our anniversary very special). Many weddings take place here, but up to now we have had no trouble from the events taking place. The weddings take place in the right hand side of the castle. In the other parts of the castle are the 1851 restaurant, and brasserie. Both are fine for dinner and breakfast in the 1851 is great but can get busy. Brasserie in the old kitchens is interesting. What I really Miss is the Wine Cellar since it was closed to the public, this is a fantastic room and should be re-opened. You are not charged for parking, wifi, newspaper etc. like other hotels.
If you are not at a wedding event, things might be a little quiet. Outside you are quite restricted on where you can wonder around, 99% of the woodland is out of bounds. Beeston castle is nearby if you fancy a 3 to 4 hour walk. ( no obvious walking route from Peckforton, but you can take a long way around route ).

Staff always pleasant, cannot complain about anything except the wine cellar being closed.
I like to get a room deal on a Sunday or mid week. Friday/Saturday can be expensive in the summer, weddings I suppose. So quiet at night, you might not be able to sleep!
See you again soon.
Nick & May.

Room Tip: Exec. rooms are worth the extra money, but you are never sure what you will get as they are all diff...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Nick B
Dear Nick & May,

Thank you for your kind and honest review. I'm glad you have found your visits to be comfortable and enjoyable all round. We have now started to open the wine cellar to the public, 4 days a week, 6-11pm. Hopefully when you re-visit it will be available to use. We look forward to welcoming you back to Peckforton Castle in the not too distant future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I arrived early at the castle as I was booked in for the' landrover experience', the staff there were very welcoming and made me tea while they briefed me on the health and safety issues and the car (lwb defender).we jumped in the car and went driving off into the woods and ended up going through water 3 foot deep and driving over all kinds of rough terrain, the experience lasted over an hour and I would definately recommend it.I then checked into the castle which is an absolutely beautiful place, again the staff were very helpful, my room wasnt ready so went exploring the castle whilst I waited for my partner and friends who were coming to the next days wedding to arrive,I went to check the banqueting room and was amazed that it was all perfectly laid out ready for the wedding (one less thing to worry about), a staff member came to inform me that my room was ready (304) which was lovely and clean and my case was already in there. The first night we went for a drink in the wine cellar which is a lovely little circular bar.The next morning we all met for breakfast,which was lovely, you could have anything from fruit, full english, cereal, except the girls, who had room service because they had hairdressers, make up girls etc coming.After the wedding the staff had opened a bar outside and were waiting with pims and bottles of ice cold beer which was very welcoming when your suited and booted and its 30+ degrees, we later went in for the sit down meal and hog roast which was delicious, the evening reception started with a band then disco, which were both brilliant, the dancefloor was packed all night, then after we went to the wine cellar, then we sat on the lawns chatting till 2-30am, all in all a perfect occasion, the staff at this venue are amazing, nothing was to much trouble for them.They helped to make gemma and vians wedding the perfect day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind and detailed review. So glad we could assist in making Gemma & Vian's day so special. We hope to see you all again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stunning location, beautiful castle in tranquil setting. Would have been nice to be shown to room. Room far exceeded expectations, as usually you are located outside of the main building in these type of hotels. Breakfast was excellent, staff were accommodating and helpful.Had thoroughly enjoyable time would stay again and recommend to friends. Had the hotels best guaranteed rate so hard to fault.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MagnaFox
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for you review, I'm glad you enjoyed visiting us.
Northampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

You have to admit the venue is very beautiful but it is completely tarnished by the rude and arrogant attitude of it's staff and management. I was staying at Peckforton as a guest of a wedding party I helped organise. Having set the scene perfectly, I was dismayed that a member of staff kept showing in sales leads into the room we had booked. When I asked him if he wouldn't mind not doing that as some of our parties personal items were in there, he just said he was the owner and wouldn't take long. He did this 3 times. If the owner of Peckforton wants to treat the Castle as his own home, fine, don't call it a hotel. Otherwise, it might be an idea to actually show some common courtesy and respect to your current guests, not just your future sales leads. I won't be recommending Peckforton as a wedding venue for any of my clients again as this rude and arrogant attitude doesn't show the attention to the finer detail nor respect my clients deserve.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Josephine S
MatthewNaylor, Director of Sales at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, whilst we fully engage the open forum of Trip Advisor, this is the perfect example of why and how it is open to abuse from individuals wishing to try and tarnish our good reputation, a reputation that we work tirelessly to maintain and improve. I believe this is linked to a previous review made by someone who took it upon themselves to not pay their invoice, they have now paid in full but are obviously not happy about this and see posting reviews as a way of getting back at us. Please be assured we take our guests opinions very seriously and both myself and our hotel manager are available to discuss any positive or negative feedback at anytime. We have been awarded a certificate of excellence from Trip Advisor so hopefully this review will be ignored by the majority.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel is a good base to visit Chester (a great City).
The hotel is very well maintained and of a high standard. The rooms vary in size and finish a lot ours was of a good size with all amenities i.e tea and coffee and an iron and board it was also very clean however it only had one small opening window that had to be left open to let in what little air there was.This resulted on returning after a day of touring finding the room with about 10 large flies in it.
The staff are extremely helpful and pleasant.
As the hotel is rather remote i.e 15 miles from the City centre one finds that you are rather captive as regards to dining.
The first night I had dinner in the Brasserie and ordered the fish and chips at £13.95 p.p.They arrived dry and overcooked (I think in old fat).House wine was £19.95 a bottle.
The second night had dinner in restaurant 1851 and had the 2 course Table d'hote menu at
£20 p.p. This meal was a lot better but expensive for the location,I can have a 2 course Table d'hote with a glass of wine at the Dorchester in London for £23.
The third night went back to the Brasserie for the fish and chips as I was assured that they would be good and they were delicious.
On conclusion I would reccomend this fine hotel and the facilities on offer the only thing that I would ask them to concider is the price charged for food and drink.I live in London and am used to high prices but don't think that London prices are justified at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PeterC157
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Swan Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#2 of 4 in Tarporley
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!