2,161 results
All reviews ice room golf trip golfing break relaxation room cream tea great golf pro shop lovely hotel play golf round of golf set menu bar prices cheshire countryside restaurant staff from start to finish birthday treat couldn't fault
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We attended a wedding at this hotel. The wedding was wonderful. The service and food were of an excellent quality. Surroundings were nice. Gardens beautiful. Rooms were very spacious and clean. Only downside was the price of the drinks in the hotel but there again hotels are always on the expensive side. This one a bit more expensive than most. Would recommend to other travellers though.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I've just returned from my best friend's Hen Do at MacDonald Portal Hotel and overall our stay was lovely. We paid for a package that included 1 treatment in the spa (I had a back/neck/shoulder massage), use of the pool and other spa facilities, a 3 course dinner, 1 night stay and a full English breakfast.
The receptionist made us feel welcome and was very efficient.
The hotel itself is modern, clean and has a relaxing atmosphere. I shared a twin room and had a delightful night's sleep. The room provided us with everything we needed and I can't fault it in any way.
The staff were lovely and helpful. Jonathan, I think he is the manager, couldn't do enough for us. He was very friendly and it was clear that he genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay.
I've not had any spa treatments before this visit, but my massage was great. The spa area is calming and again, we were provided with everything we needed and taken care of.
The pool is clean, same goes for the saunas, steam rooms, ice room, changing rooms and showers. The one criticism I have is that while we were in the pool there were swimming lessons taking place. This did slightly spoil the relaxing aspect, but not massively. I didn't expect swimming lessons to take place in a hotel like this one.
Our 3 course meal was enjoyed by everyone and between us every dish was tried on the package menu. The waiters were efficient and we received great service. I wasn't very impressed with the sticky toffee pudding, which wasn't remotely sticky, but the other girls enjoyed the other options.
There was plenty of choice at breakfast. I stuck to fruit salad, toast and a muffin. The other girl were made up with their full English. we were given fresh tea, coffee and iced water. Again, the waiters couldn't do enough for us.
Overall, we all enjoyed our visit. Jonathan clearly leads by example and in every area of the hotel we experienced we were given great customer care. I will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Lovely surroundings. Modern clean hotel. But first room we were shown was on ground floor, dark and smelled musty. Then we were moved to 3rd floor which was much better. Large, spacious room but terrible flat pillows.
The bar was overrun by groups of noisy blokes which was made worse by the sound of a tv continually playing the sports channel.
If you are not a golfer, try another hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a night and were very disappointed. We had booked the trip away to take time out from work and to relax in what we thought would be a nice hotel with luxurious facilities. However, this was unfortunately not the case. We were kept waiting to check in, with no staff in sight and although the female front of house manager was professional on her eventual arrival, she was far from genuine. This was a concurrant theme throughout as other than the lady on the spa reception, none of the staff had any redeming qualities and lacked anything even resembaling warmth or personability. The building itself was very plain and dated not something you'd expect from a 4* hotel. There was also a strong smell if sewage at several points inside the building. The pool area was not dissimilar to a local leisure centre and the lack of jacuzzi was very disappointing, especially as from 3-6 is 'childrens time' so any guests arriving and wondering down to the pool for a relax are met with circumstances less than condusive to this. The restaurant was totally without atmosphere with downlighting on full and a very strange table layout/room shape that was nothing short of a members lounge in a golf club-which was what the hotel is essentially. The bar and restaurant were full of middle aged male golfers, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for a young couple who were looking to spend a pleasant evening away. Instead of enjoying a drink in the bar after our meal, we were forced to return to our room. This blow would have been softened had the room itself been a bit special-which it wasn't. I have stayed in hotels for a fraction of the price with rooms of the same standard. All in all a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I am really surprised to have read some of the other comments on here regarding Macdonald Portal Hotel as my experience was throughly enjoyable. Myself and my friend paid for the 'Girls Night In' spa package.
The hotel is modern, clean and well staffed. We stayed in a twin room which provided us with everything we may have required during our stay. Staff are friendly and helpful.
If i was pushed to make a negative comment the only one that would come to mind is that the bar was understaffed. We had to go to reception in order to get served. But, this by no means had an effect on the rest of our stay.
Facilities are excellent and I will certainly be going back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends