2,147 results
All reviewsice roomgolf tripgolfing breakrelaxation roomcream teagreat golfpro shopplay golflovely hotelround of golfset menubar pricescheshire countrysiderestaurant stafffrom start to finishbirthday treatcouldn't fault
Reviewed 7 October 2011

When choosing a venue for a golf trip it is always necessary to balance the value of the overall package offered by places like this with the extortionate bar prices. Being charged £4.20 for a pint of orange and lemonade left a bit of a sour taste, but the basic £179 for two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast with three rounds of golf was excellent value. The hotel is fine, with good leisure facilities, and the golf courses are better than some reviewers have suggested. The views are surprisingly splendid, but most holes have plenty to admire within themselves. Both courses start tamely and get tougher, which is at should be. There are ponds on five or six holes on the main course, but only twice is it essential to go over them, at the very attractive 130-yard 14th and the testing par four 15th. Beer lovers are likely to be disappointed by what's on offer in the bar, but it's not difficult to get to the pubs in Tarporley.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear TimW24,

Thank you for your review on our golf courses following your recent stay. Both courses are indeed challenging in their own way and have some fantastic hidden gems. With the fabulous autumn weather lately (we could have mistaken early October for Summer!) the place was indeed a golfer's paradise and at very competitive prices indeed!
The courses are in good condition and we are known as 'the courses which never close' so keep on the look out for some fantastic winter golf opportunities.
We have taken on board the comments with regard to drinks pricing so keep an eye out for our special offers in the future.

With Warm Regards.

Sacha Cauwels-Wigan

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed here as part of a hen do. Lovely big rooms. Beautiful gardens. Seperate bath and shower. Food ok not 4 star though. Main restaurant not very atmospheric. Bar prices extortionate. Treatments and spa were fantastic.
Any questions email me x

Reviewed 25 September 2011

We attended a wedding at this hotel. The wedding was wonderful. The service and food were of an excellent quality. Surroundings were nice. Gardens beautiful. Rooms were very spacious and clean. Only downside was the price of the drinks in the hotel but there again hotels are always on the expensive side. This one a bit more expensive than most. Would recommend to other travellers though.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I've just returned from my best friend's Hen Do at MacDonald Portal Hotel and overall our stay was lovely. We paid for a package that included 1 treatment in the spa (I had a back/neck/shoulder massage), use of the pool and other spa facilities, a 3 course dinner, 1 night stay and a full English breakfast.
The receptionist made us feel welcome and was very efficient.
The hotel itself is modern, clean and has a relaxing atmosphere. I shared a twin room and had a delightful night's sleep. The room provided us with everything we needed and I can't fault it in any way.
The staff were lovely and helpful. Jonathan, I think he is the manager, couldn't do enough for us. He was very friendly and it was clear that he genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay.
I've not had any spa treatments before this visit, but my massage was great. The spa area is calming and again, we were provided with everything we needed and taken care of.
The pool is clean, same goes for the saunas, steam rooms, ice room, changing rooms and showers. The one criticism I have is that while we were in the pool there were swimming lessons taking place. This did slightly spoil the relaxing aspect, but not massively. I didn't expect swimming lessons to take place in a hotel like this one.
Our 3 course meal was enjoyed by everyone and between us every dish was tried on the package menu. The waiters were efficient and we received great service. I wasn't very impressed with the sticky toffee pudding, which wasn't remotely sticky, but the other girls enjoyed the other options.
There was plenty of choice at breakfast. I stuck to fruit salad, toast and a muffin. The other girl were made up with their full English. we were given fresh tea, coffee and iced water. Again, the waiters couldn't do enough for us.
Overall, we all enjoyed our visit. Jonathan clearly leads by example and in every area of the hotel we experienced we were given great customer care. I will definitely return in the future.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Lovely surroundings. Modern clean hotel. But first room we were shown was on ground floor, dark and smelled musty. Then we were moved to 3rd floor which was much better. Large, spacious room but terrible flat pillows.
The bar was overrun by groups of noisy blokes which was made worse by the sound of a tv continually playing the sports channel.
If you are not a golfer, try another hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple