“Lovely stay”

Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past three years and it never disappoints! The rooms are lovely as are the staff on reception and at the bar. Only downside, which I have experienced on every stay, is the breakfast. The food is lovely, but the staff are slow serving and I am yet to eat there and recieve the breakfast that I actually ordered! Although the staff are apologetic when the order is wrong, it does get fustrating when it happens so frequently with a simple order of sauage, egg and beans. However, this being said, I would still recommend this hotel as it is simply stunning and I will continue to stay here; just go somewhere else for my breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xRachelBx

Reviewed 14 December 2011

A well located hotel in lovely grounds. The customer service was excellent throughout from the friendly welcome to the dining room service. The food at dinner and breakfast was excellent (although a little expensive). A very relaxing and quiet hotel - I had a large bedroom with a lovely view of the golf course and trees beyond. If I had to find a constructive comment it would be that 3 of the bedroom light bulbs were not working - but this is a minor point. Definitely I would recommend this hotel whether for business or leisure.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank evans64
Reviewed 12 December 2011

First things first. Top quality hotel, beautiful spa/pool, fantastic well cooked, fresh food, spotless spacious rooms, modern bathrooms. The staff from enquiry to reception to porters to breakfast waiters to check-out were without exception brilliantly helpful and courteous. All you could wish for... But why, why, why have all that quality and air of real class then charge a fee to pay by credit card??!

I don't enjoy paying for the privelege of paying by my method of choice. When my independent corner shop and pretty much every shop on the high street (not to mention all other hotels I can bring to mind) shoulders whatever costs that incurs, its disappointing that a company this size cannot.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband and I chose this hotel for our wedding in September 2011 and many of our family and friends chose to make reservations to stay at the hotel. They weren't disappointed and I think everyone commented the following day on how fantastic their stay was, the room, the food, the staff - just brilliant. Right from our initial enquiry we knew we wanted to spend our day there and Tracey Wilkinson, Events Manager was just brilliant. Her enthusiasm and friendliness was just what we were looking for; her team too, Leanne, the bar staff, the waiters/waitresses and Gary the Chef need to be commended for their part in making our day and our stay special! Very friendly and very clean and value for money! And the views.. just lovely. I want to do it all again!

Room Tip: The suite is something else! So much room and well worth the extra £
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed at the Portal for a long weekend. This was the fifth time we have stayed there and it was as good as usual-which is why we keep going back. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel gives the impression of efficiency and smooth running.
The spa/saunas/swimming pool are very good and relaxing although Sunday mornings can be busy so we took the suggestion of reception and drove to Delamere Forest Park. Fantastic walks through the forest on paths and tracks which are better than some parts of the Sandstone Trail which can get a bit wet after it has been raining or heavy dews. If you are feeling adventurous you can also go on the zip wires and rope bridges etc at the "Go Ape" activity centre.
Hotel restaurant up to previous high standard, the £20 for 3 courses menu is good value.
As well as eating at the hotel one night we always go the The Red Fox Indian restaurant which is only a couple of miles away. Highly recommend this restaurant as well-you do need to book especially for a Saturday.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterfieldErik
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Myself and my husband stayed at the Portal for 2 midweek nights in November 2011. We had a lovely relaxing stay. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.
I cannot comment on the golfing, it ruins a good walk in my opinion, but it seemed very popular.
The room and restaurant were a little on the chilly side, although the room did have a heater. I did feel like I was sat in a draft in the restaurant though.

ROOM
Our classic room was lovely, with a massive super king bed. There was a mini fridge so you can have fresh milk (brought very quickly when requested) and a selection of teas and coffee. The bathroom was very spacious, with a separate bath and shower. There is also a speaker so you can hear the TV when in the bath! (It's easy enough to unplug this if you'd rather not).

SPA
The 18m pool is lovely. 1.2m depth throughout. There are plenty of lockers and loungers and it never felt over crowded. There are 2 snail "experience" showers, and ice room, aromatherapy steam room, steam room (mentholy!), rock sauna and infra red sauna. All of these were clean and very relaxing.
We each had a spa treatment. They seem to have a couple of specific treatments on offer each month. We both very much enjoyed our massages, friendly therapists and lovely environment.

DINNER
We stayed dinner, bed and breakfast. This gave us a £25pp allowance for food only. You can choose off the a la carte menu or there is a smaller selection of dishes where 3 courses are included in your price. The food was excellent. Our 1st night was much quieter than the 2nd, and service reflected this. Marco the waiter was very good, but he was running to and from the bar for drinks orders, as well as trying to seat and serve customers.

BREAKFAST
If breakfast isn't included, it is ridiculously overpriced. There is a self serve cereals, fruit, pastries etc. You can also order a cooked breakfast, normal or veggie. The 1st breakfast came without veggie sausages but these were delivered shortly afterwards by an apologetic waiter. On our 2nd morning we were informed that there were no beans (although they had a delivery shortly after) and my veggie breakfast came with no veggie sausage. When I asked the waitress we were informed there weren't any and that was that! I also had to ask twice for my toast and had finished my breakfast by the time it came.

Overall we found it perfect for a relaxing short break and I would return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Normally stay at this hotel when visiting my sister with my two daughters. The room was very spacious and clean. Staff very helpful. The breakfast is excellent as they cook it to your order instead of going up buffet style where sometimes the food can be cold. Grand views around.

Have also tried the spa with a couple of treatments which was relaxing. The lunch provided was good, usually I'm really hungry and these spa places never seem provide me with enough food. You get a free drink with your treatments.

The girls enjoyed the swimming pool which kept them occupied for a while.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Dear SuzyMotherwell,

It was lovely to read your nice review, in particular as you are a regular visitor.

We are very proud of our high standards at breakfast and indeed the cooked to order hot breakfast. We do believe it highlights the quality of the produce we use (free range eggs, freedom food guaranteed and the best breakfast sausages I have come across in hotels in my career!).

Great to see that the entire family enjoyed the facilities, there is so much to do for everyone in and around the hotel and the treatments are envied by most.

Thanks again for your time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Portal in the near future.

With Warm Regards.

S Cauwels-Wigan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!