“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Booked this as a suprise package for husbands birthday, and even paid for the upgrade to the superior room- included in the package was:Bed & Breakfast, dinner & Spa treatment. The lady I booked through was very polite, and provided great customer service.
However, first issue arose when trying to call to book the spa treatment- they had limited availability, and the woman I spoke to was rather dismissive- leaving much to be desired of the customer service. Second issue was trying to call the hotel to make dinner reservations. The phone just rang out- several times! And this was at around 12/1pm in the afternoon! Eventually I got through and the lady at the reception who made the reservation. As for the room- it did not look like an upgraded room in what is supposed to be a 5 five star hotel. It was a VERY standard room, not particularly attractive, and not very spacious either. Not worth the money! Then during dinner, the main course still hadn't arrived 2 hours after the starter had been served, regardless of raising it with the waiters! Several other diners who had arrived after had been seated and served with all their courses. A complaint was made to reception who compensated by making a £50 refund on the card. The only reason I give this 3 stars instead of 2 was due to the quality of the spa treatment. Would I visit again? No! Would I recommend? Definately not!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear KullyP,

I was disappointed to read your disappointing review. It is crucial for us to receive feedback such as yours as it highlights challenges we need to overcome to ensure that we receive the fantastic reviews every time.

We have recently experienced a number of challenges with our switchboard and are in the process of upgrading the system to ensure we can answer all calls at all times. Besides it having been a nuisance for yourself that you could not get through, it is business crucial for us that you can. Thank you for taking the time to bring it to our attention. We can only improve if challenges are highlighted.

I hope that the reviews of other guests do show you that your experience is not typical and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the 4 star Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my sister and a friend at the start of July, after a 3 hour drive we had a nice quick check in, and before we knew it we were seated in the resturant having dinner! Considering we were only just sitting at 9pm on a Sunday, we weren't rushed or made to feel like we were in the way.

I had a couple of treatments in the spa, they were really relaxing, we also spent a lot of time by the pool, and even made time for the gym, both I highly recommend!

We were on a dbb rate and the dinner menu is varied enough that we managed to find something to eat each evening without issues.

My one small critisim is the breakfast buffet, when we got to breakfast on the Tuesday (about 9am) there was no orange juice, no cold meats and someone had left a banana peel on the top of the clean plates. When we asked about the juice and meats, we were told there was no more, with an hour left of service I find this ridculous.

Really enjoyed our stay, and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012
Bec0509

Thanks for your feedback overall fantastic and delighted you had such a great time. We hope to welcome you back and please rest assured there will be plenty of OJ this time!

With Warm Regards.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We chose this hotel because we had pre-planned to visit Panama Hatty's for our anniversary, which was brilliant. We got the room at a discounted rate, so my review is based on the price we paid. The room was incredible, clean and with good facilities - it even had a speaker in the bathroom, which I thought was great! The service from the staff was exceptional, very friendly and professional. Would go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear JamieJ,

Thanks for your great feedback following your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Portal in the future.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed as a group of 12 for the weekend playing golf and using the facilities in the hotel. The hotel is fantastic, typical for a Macdonald's hotel. Rooms are great, pretty spacious very good quality.

The bar area is very good, drinks we thought were reasonable for a hotel but thought the food was touch on the expensive side but was very nice after 18 holes of golf. The restaurant was very very good, both our evening meal and breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice.

The golf course is really good too, we played friday and sat on the 18 and sunday on the smaller poorer quality 9. The 18 though was excellent, some really good holes and in perfect condition, as good a course as we've played all year. Didn't think much of the 9 holer but it was only for a knock about before we left for home.

The hotel is a 2/3 minute drive into Tarporley which has a few decent pubs and only a 20mins(ish) taxi ride to Chester.

Overall we had a really good weekend and would definitely return again and the staff were excellent too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marshy77
Dear Marshy77,

Great to see you had such a fabulous time at Portal for your golf weekend and indeed the compliments have been passed onto the Chef and the team.
We are passionate about our food and service and delighted you enjoyed the way we intended you to!

Hopefully we will get some sort of a summer soon and you may be able to return for a sneeky few holes later in the year.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Norwich
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is my choice of business hotel when visiting our Chester operations (around 25 mins by car to centre). It happens to offer a spacious and modern gym and golf which helps swing the balance in its favour with me.

Bedrooms are clean are clean and spacious. I had some dificulties getting the w-fi working and receiving a mobile signal but that's probably down to me and the networks.

Breakfasts are nicely presented with plenty of choices whether cooked or Continental.

I've only tried bar meals in my recent stays but they offer sufficeint choice albeit eating sitting in a sofa at a table is probably not good for the digestion.

Minor constructive observations; the a/c in public area's can be a bit chilly and I waited at an unattended bar for around five minutes early one evening with other guests to be served. One staff member turned up, rooted under the bar for something and left without saying a word. On another occassion I had finished my hot breakfast before coffee arrived.

My colleagues don't use this hotel as they say the service is poor. Apart from the isolated issues above I've not experienced anything that would make me want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

we went for a relaxing spa break to celebrate my sisters birthday with a friend and it couldn't be more relaxing we booked treatments and then decided we wanted another one which was booked just as smoothly as when i booked over the phone, we were on a dinner bed & breakfast and the choices on the market menu were lovely. we did arrive late on our first night and didn't sit in the restaurant till 9pm but the staff were lovely and didn't want to rush us. We didn't leave the hotel the spa was wonderful and all the staff were very nice and couldn't do enough. Thank you for making my sisters birthday so relaxing. We will back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
North East England
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Decent rooms, really nice staff and a lovely setting.

The pool and spa area are really excellent and my room was decent.

Unfortunately our restaurant experience was a real let down. Great staff, but seriously overworked, and the portions were probably the smallest I have ever experienced. I like to enjoy a good meal and leave the table feeling reasonably full and feeling I've had decent value for money, neither of which I did at this hotel. I can accept expensive drinks , which they really are at this hotel, but I was beginning to wonder if some hotels compete in a "who can get away with the smallest portions contest", because I'm sure this hotel will be in with a chance of winning. I regularly eat at "black tie" events on business so am aware of the "nouveau cuisine" concept, but my advice is, if you are going to eat in this hotel's restaurant then order a "take away" for afters.

Nice hotel, great staff, shame about the food.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Willington Hall Hotel
Willington Hall Hotel
#1 of 4 in Tarporley

Been to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!