The hotel and room was very clean, quiet and spacious the staff polite, the Bed was very hard however on request a quilt was folded up under the sheet for the second night which helped a bit. I was pleased to see a vegetarian breakfast on the menu, unfortunately the tomato, mushroom and egg were cold and under cooked both days the vegetarian sausages were made of carrots and other veg which was quite peculiar for breakfast. The meat breakfast my husband had was nice apparently but make sure you are specific about what you want as they will bring the bare minimum otherwise, luckily the continental breakfast was quite good. Our breakfast was included in the room price but I would of been very disgruntled to of paid £18 each per day for it. The spa was very clean and the steam rooms and saunas very good. the pool was large but cold, the showers had a fragrance and drench facility which was nice. The Ice room wasn't working on our visit apart from the cold shower. There is no Jacuzzi at this hotel. The spa treatments are quite expensive and even with the £10 off voucher we decided to give them a miss. We chose not to drink or eat at the bar as the food and drinks were expensive luckily there are some lovely pubs a miles walk away in Tarporley and some nice restaurants.
There is very little phone/mobile internet reception at the hotel and we had a slight emergency which required family members contacting us via the room phone....for some reason they were unable to be put through to our room phone but reception were happy to put us through at a charge to us of course :/ Could of been a better stay as it was we didn't spend a huge amount of time there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the heart of the Cheshire Countryside yet within easy access from the main motorways and towns, The Macdonald Portal Hotel,Golf and Spa is the perfect base to explore Cheshire and its many attractions and places of interest. Whether you are visiting for a pampering experience in the luxurious Spa, a round of golf on one of the two challenging golf courses or indeed a gourmet break enjoying the finest foods in 2 AA Rosette Ranulf Restaurant, Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa has something to offer for the entire family. Portal is also the home of the first Lee Westwood Golf School in the UK and offers a combination of three golf courses and an onsite golf academy. The conference and banqueting facilities have hosted many a prestigious event and both the Castle and Waterstone Suites offer the most wonderful venue for the perfect wedding celebration. A venue for all occasions, the hotel offers 85 sumptuous bedrooms, a state of the art Health, Fitness and Beauty Spa which includes an 18 meter swimming pool, advanced Technogym equipment and a thermal suite with rock sauna, aroma steam bath, ice room and salt infusion sauna. Why not dine in our fine restaurant with its 2 AA rosettes and views across the Cheshire plains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Booking.com, Odigeo, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf Hotel Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf And Spa Tarporley, Cheshire