“Spa package - good weekend”

Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
GreenLeadersSilver level
uk
“Spa package - good weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We booked the spa package weekend trip for £119. Included in this we got a cream tea (fresh cooked scone and tea/coffee) on arrival, use of the swimming pool, gym, sauna and steam room on both days, a complementary glass of bubbly, 3 course evening meal, breakfast, a 30 massage/facial and overnight stay.

The room is a good size, we had an extra bed in the room as 3 of us were staying in same room and there was still plenty of space. Room as clean and tidy, bathroom was clean, powerful shower and a big bathroom.

All the staff we meet during the weekend were very present, friendly and helpful.

All the food we had in the hotel was very tasty. We order some food from the lounge bar and had the 3 course meal and breakfast in the restaurant. No complaint, tasty food cooked well.

The swimming pool/ spa area is nice, swimming pool abit cool when you first get in but when swimming you soon warm up. Choice of a few saunas and steam rooms, all working. We received a 30minute massage as part of the package deal. The neck, shoulder and back massage we very good, felt very comfortable and relaxing.

The drinks are on the expensive side - at the evening meal we paid £20 for a small glass of wine, a martini and lemonade and soft drink.

Also I felt that in the spa area there should be a place where you can get drinks as you could just do with a refreshing drink while you are relaxing next to the pool - but a minor thing.

Phone signal is poor, couldn't get signal most of the weekend, but it's the countryside so what do you expect! Free wifi would have also been nice, you can get wifi but you have to pay per hour etc.

Overall a by good weekend. I would go again on the same package and recommend it to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
General M, Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear zoogles 87,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I'm really glad that you had a good time, as are the rest of our team members.

We have a variety of spa packages that continue to be popular, and can be viewed online on our website.

Complimentary Wi-fi is on it's way, but I'm afraid that our location in the beautiful Cheshire countryside can sometimes be a limit to certain mobile networks. That said, it is often ideal if you really do want to get away from your day-to-day life to relax.

I do hope we will have the chance to see you again at the hotel very soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My fiancé and I decided on a last minute decision to have a relaxing day at this spa,and may I add that when am doing a review I am merely voicing my opinion of what I expect as others may have a certain expectation that matches their needs which is fine.

The good points

A nice clean room
Polite staff and attentive
Excellent dinner and breakfast choices
Good overall value on the spring deal

The not so good points

Too many rowdy golfers all shouting and drunk including at BREAKFAST.
When we were trying to relax in the spa room a group of middle aged women decided to enter the room and laugh and giggle like small children continuously and have no care for the other guests HELLO this is a relaxation room.
The swimming pool area consists of 20 loungers for guests to enjoy. On our visit every lounger had been taken by selfish guests that couldn't be bothered to relax on them but had decided to place their towels on them. Only 8 guests were using them so we had no choice but to remove people's towels as clearly spa management were off today as no staff seemed to batter an eyelid.
The room was described as a king bed well I am afraid it's 2 single beds stuck together.
Dinner was great but only enough to make 5 year old full.
I was informed that bread could not be offered with dinner as there was a charge for that as well I mean am only after a miserable little bread roll.
Ridiculous wine prices although you should expect this as this is where the hotel makes its money I guess.
Down by the bottom of the stairs at the spa there was a stench of cigarette smell coming up the landing which in my opinion if people want to smoke there should be a designated area for them to kill themselves if they wish.
Spa facilities are not bad but could be better,no jacuzzi for example even my health club has one and also a tad small.
Wifi is not free this is pretty standard in most hotels of this type

TIP when checking in at reception remember to stuff yourself with the complimentary sweets on the desk as you will be starving after eating your dinner.

I know the hotel management may read this and think oh well you can't please everybody but my gripe is don't claim to be a spa for relaxation,there are simply too many noisy golfers and disrespectful people attracted to this hotel to be anything but relaxing.
Also I am aware the hotel can't control who comes to there establishment but at least have a word with people so that other guests can enjoy there stay.

My final thoughts are if you don't mind loud and noisy and food rationing with smokers on every corner of every door and generally large groups of woman laughing like there at the comedy club at every opportunity then book yourself in ASAP otherwise stay clear thanks .
We are in are mid 30s not old bats making complaints so bare that in mind,we have been to a number of places from a number of budgets so trust us when we say that was our experience, we are accurate and we gain no benefit from being critical if others want to say it was excellent that's great but that's not the reality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leeor2014
Dear Leeor2014,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

In general, from what I can tell, it seems that you had a pleasant enough time. I'm sorry though if certain parts of your stay detracted from the good points.

It would be incredibly unfair to suggest that as a team of staff we wouldn't care about the comments in your review.

However, by the same token, we do work very hard to try to look after all the different types of guests that we have at the hotel. I am sorry on this occasion if there were some things that didn't meet your expectations, but I am sure that other readers will make their own opinions about our hotel, based on your comments and those of other reviewers.

I am always available at the hotel to listen to both the good and the bad things that people wish to point out, and in my absence there is always a manager on duty who can assist.

We will continue to go about our business on a daily basis, working hard to improve the service that we give for everyone who comes to stay with us.

Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner visited here as it was a Christmas present off his mother and we throughly enjoyed our stay! We had a lovely room and it was top notch all you could ask for! The only downside is there was no option to change the channel over for my partners ps3 as we had some DVDs..but besides that we were happy! The breakfast is gorgeous probably one of the nicest breakfasts in a hotel I've had! We visited the restaurant too a la carte menu that was lovely too! The swimming pool is great and they have a gym which is also great! So overall would revisit and happy we came :)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear PrincessblossomX,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am delighted that you had a great time, and I will share your kind comments with the rest of our team.

We do indeed have a vast breakfast selection, and our future guests should look out for our new A la Carte menu which is coming very soon.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Macdonald Portal Hotel recently and liked our stay very much, the hotel is situated in amongst some beautiful countryside and golf courses.
The rooms and facilities could not be faulted and our evening meal was worth the wait as we couldn't get a table until later on in the evening due to the volume of guests.
If you are a golfer then it's the hotel for you, as a none player then the swimming pool or sauna could take up some of your free time.
Worth the stay just for the peace and tranquility of the Cheshire countryside.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear jeffoclarko,

Thank you for writing a review of your experience here at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

We're all delighted that you had an enjoyable time and were able to profit from the great weather and our excellent location. I consider myself very lucky to work in such a lovely natural environment and I know that other members of our team think the same.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel at other times of the year too.

Settle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Very rude dude on reception on arrival - All staff looked a bit stunned and like they were on their first day in the job . Comedy service in the restaurant with long waits for drinks to arrive and the worst risotto I have ever tasted it was like rice pudding with bright orange cheese on top - despite the main course looking like a tin of chappie on smash ( beef main ?) it was rather tasty with really well cooked veg the pudding was fine too . On arrival back from a night out in Chester in the main bar someone had scoffed a KFC and left all the crap on a table .......on closer inspection I noticed chicken wing bones all over the floor and up skirting boards . Says something about the sort of guests the place attracts but why wasnt it moved by the staff ? Had a a great time with the group I was with and was cheap and cheerful but go with a sense of humour

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear jessboo1,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I'm sorry if at any point we have failed to meet your expectations, although I am glad that you enjoyed your main course, despite your confusing description of it.

Our team of young staff work very hard to look after our guests, and so I am sure they will be disappointed to hear that you felt that they were inexperienced. In general we get some very positive comments about our team members.

It is true that we do have many different types of guests staying with us, and I am sure that readers of your review will draw their own conclusions as to the type of people we attract. As in many hotels though, there is never a typical day or a typical guest, and so we work tirelessly to look after everyone who comes through the door.

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've just stayed at the MacDonald Portal for 5 nights, it was a nice hotel but i can understand why it has so many poor reviews. You go to a 4* hotel and you have high expectations, if those expectations aren't met, you are obviously going to be disappointed!

Overall the hotel is nice, but... it lacks attention to detail. I wouldn't go here for a romantic night away, the hotel was full of drunk golfers, banging on room doors at 2am! We also saw some drunk guy having a wee down by the pool area on our first night, we were only down there to see what facilities they had and got that unpleasant sight!

My room was large, had a fridge and nice shower. Room service were clearly in a rush on Wednesday as they threw the biscuits in the cupboard and left a pillow on the floor... this wasn't the end of the world but this is a 4*? I've never had this happen at my numerous premier inn stays.

The light was out in the bathroom so i couldn't use the magnified mirror and I had some kind of plastering stain down the wall. My colleagues room had bins full of waste on arrival (at 10pm so no excuse really) and a water stain above the bath. Another colleague said it was the worst night sleep she'd ever had.

Breakfast was ok monday and tuesday - no offer of condiments (egg on toast without brown sauce is like Ant without Dec!) the toast offered on arrival as stone cold. On Wednesday the toast was warm and the service was much more friendly - I noticed David was on duty on Wednesday and definitely brought a nicer atmosphere to the place. The staff were either naturally a bit unhappy or have been told to act like robots.

Between four of us our key cards stopped working 8 times, apparently you can't keep them near to mobile phones but it was strange that it was two that stopped working at the same time, every time.

Drinks are expensive, but £7 odd for a G and T? That is just ridiculous.

Contrary to managements comments below, it does state in the information leaflet that you will be charged for drinking in your room so just be careful if you do!

The pool and sauna/steam rooms, gym and charging rooms were all lovely.

Overall, this hotel should be fantastic but simply isn't.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear TravellingM,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am sincerely sorry if we did not manage to meet your expectations on this occasion. It is never our intention to upset or disappoint, and I'm sure that having shared your feedback with my colleagues, as always we will continue to work hard to improve the areas that are inconsistent.

While I am also very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience caused by another guest, we do rely on the people staying with us to act with some decorum, and so when we found out what had happened, the person in question was refused any further service.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future, to restore your faith in the service that we provide.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was looking forward to a break with my husband and wasn't left disappointed. I've never reviewed anything on trip advisor but think this really deserves a mention.

We booked a package which included an overnight stay plus breakfast and dinner a treatment each and cream tea (scones!) when we arrived!! It was really good value, room was massive and the bed really comfy. We went to the spa in the afternoon and it was lovely, A lady called Mel was really helpful on the desk and showed us where to go. The poolside rooms are amazing and helped us chill after a really long week!! Treatments were great and the relax room was just what we needed to chill before dinner. We booked a table early on to avoid the rush and had a lovely meal, again the staff were great. Wine was a tad expensive but that's what you expect I suppose. After a great nights sleep we enjoyed breakfast and the only downside was that we had to check out and come home again!! Will have to come back soon....

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Elders77
General M, Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Elders77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am so glad that you had such an enjoyable stay and I have made sure that all the team have seen your kind comments too.

The Spa at Portal is a great place to relax, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed our food also.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to look after you again soon.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,258 reviews
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!