We booked the spa package weekend trip for £119. Included in this we got a cream tea (fresh cooked scone and tea/coffee) on arrival, use of the swimming pool, gym, sauna and steam room on both days, a complementary glass of bubbly, 3 course evening meal, breakfast, a 30 massage/facial and overnight stay.
The room is a good size, we had an extra bed in the room as 3 of us were staying in same room and there was still plenty of space. Room as clean and tidy, bathroom was clean, powerful shower and a big bathroom.
All the staff we meet during the weekend were very present, friendly and helpful.
All the food we had in the hotel was very tasty. We order some food from the lounge bar and had the 3 course meal and breakfast in the restaurant. No complaint, tasty food cooked well.
The swimming pool/ spa area is nice, swimming pool abit cool when you first get in but when swimming you soon warm up. Choice of a few saunas and steam rooms, all working. We received a 30minute massage as part of the package deal. The neck, shoulder and back massage we very good, felt very comfortable and relaxing.
The drinks are on the expensive side - at the evening meal we paid £20 for a small glass of wine, a martini and lemonade and soft drink.
Also I felt that in the spa area there should be a place where you can get drinks as you could just do with a refreshing drink while you are relaxing next to the pool - but a minor thing.
Phone signal is poor, couldn't get signal most of the weekend, but it's the countryside so what do you expect! Free wifi would have also been nice, you can get wifi but you have to pay per hour etc.
Overall a by good weekend. I would go again on the same package and recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the heart of the Cheshire Countryside yet within easy access from the main motorways and towns, The Macdonald Portal Hotel,Golf and Spa is the perfect base to explore Cheshire and its many attractions and places of interest. Whether you are visiting for a pampering experience in the luxurious Spa, a round of golf on one of the two challenging golf courses or indeed a gourmet break enjoying the finest foods in 2 AA Rosette Ranulf Restaurant, Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa has something to offer for the entire family. Portal is also the home of the first Lee Westwood Golf School in the UK and offers a combination of three golf courses and an onsite golf academy. The conference and banqueting facilities have hosted many a prestigious event and both the Castle and Waterstone Suites offer the most wonderful venue for the perfect wedding celebration. A venue for all occasions, the hotel offers 85 sumptuous bedrooms, a state of the art Health, Fitness and Beauty Spa which includes an 18 meter swimming pool, advanced Technogym equipment and a thermal suite with rock sauna, aroma steam bath, ice room and salt infusion sauna. Why not dine in our fine restaurant with its 2 AA rosettes and views across the Cheshire plains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Booking.com, Lastminute, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf Hotel Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf And Spa Tarporley, Cheshire