“Fantastic place to stay, dine and relax/play”

Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Dont usually leave comments on here, but thought I'd share my experience of the Portal with you.
I took my other half for a night away for Valentines, from start to finish our whole experience was excellent. Arrived to a freindly smile, and once I had given my surname, i didnt have to say another thing, she knew everything about the stay, the timing of dinner etc. We opened the door to the room and it was like... WOW, they must have upgraded us to a suite or something, but no, these are standard rooms, they are large! with fantastic views of the golf and surrounding landscape. The bathroom was spotless, with a seperate shower cubicle! My partner, then went to the Spa for a few hours, whilst I had a quick 9 holes on the course, loved it! The course was in excellent condition for the time of year. On returning to the room, my partner was there chilled out to the max after being treated like the queen in the spa! She said it was an experience she will never forget.!
Then it was time for the evening meal, i opted for the Sirloin Steak, and it was one of the best pieces of steak ive ever had! Just melted in your mouth! The staff couldnt do enough for us, nothing was too much hassle or bother!
Overall the whole stay from start to driving out of the car park was the best experience of a hotel break I've ever had (and I work in the hospitality industry!!)
Thankyou all for making the stay fantastic! Hoping to return very soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Dear R0bb0Ranx,

Regards,

Jerrod Latham,
General Manager.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Went for a valentine's weekend with my wife. £300 for 1 night stay incl basic spa treatments, lunch and £25 towards evening meal. Total for us was £400.
Right - some details:
Room - in general good size, confortable bed. However TV small and not tuned so had to do myself.
Bathroom - not particularly clean and mould in shower (sealant). Not good!
Spa - very good in general can't complain.
Pool etc - not the best really and no jacuzzi for this price of hotel is below standard
Hotel - Food and drink costs excessive, even for hotels of this * rating. Bar food quality very poor for prices paid. Main restaurant - menu very limited although quality good.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels of varying quality/prices - and I have to say that this is way too pricey for what you get. I will not be staying at another Macdonald hotel again.
Its not that the hotel is bad - its just that you are paying way more than you should.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

Dear RichyRichManchester , May I firstly take this opportunity to thank you for your report; I am personally disappointed that the Hotel did not match up to your expectations. I will now act on your comments with my team and be rest assured action will be taken, to stop any reoccurrence of any issues. Once again thank you for spending the time writing and be assured that this is not the normal levels of hospitality associated with Macdonald Portal Hotel Golf and Spa. Regards, Jerrod Latham, General Manager

Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. The hotel grounds, rooms, and bars are all lovely. The spa and staff were out of this world. The evening meal was stunning as was breakfast.
My only gripes are that we were told we didn't have a restaurant booking even though I had an email confirming 8pm. We were offered 6.45pm (too early) then 9.15pm (too late). After much to-ing and fro-ing we got booked in for 7.30pm. Wasn't a great start to the birthday celebrations.
I emailed the hotel requesting they put something in the room to make the stay that bit more special. I wasn't asking for champagne, roses and chocolate, just a couple of balloons. We got to the room and nothing had been done. I would have paid extra to have a couple of touches but weren't even given the option..
Couldn't fault the spa treatments, food, atmosphere etc although drinks are on the pricey side.
Breakfast was lovely with so much choice but had to wait 20 minutes for a table. They seemed short on staff and a bit unprepared. It may be because it was Valentines weekend and they had a big function on the night before but I would have expected a hotel of this class would be ready for this.
All in all a very enjoyable stay that was marred by a couple of service issues.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Sirs , May I firstly take this opportunity to thank you for your report; I am personally disappointed that the Hotel did not match up to your expectations. I will now act on your comments with my team and be rest assured action will be taken, to stop any reoccurrence of any issues. Once again thank you for spending the time writing and be assured that this is not the normal levels of hospitality associated with Macdonald Portal Hotel Golf and Spa. Regards, Jerrod Latham, General Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2011

Stayed here one night; lovely location; room had pleasant views; only had breakfast which was very nice and served by pleasant staff; pool, sauna and gym were great to wind down at the end of the day; would visit again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2011

From the moment we checked in the hospitality we received was second to none. we encountered many members of staff from Golf, Spa, Reception, Bars & Restaurant and found everyone helpful and informative. We thoroughly found our break relaxing and we will be back soon as I note that both golf courses are a worthy test of golf with fantastic views over the Cheshire countryside.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Jerrod-Latham, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear MarkandLucy65 , Thank you for spending the time leaving a trip advisor report. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Macdonald Portal Hotel Golf and Spa. It is my intention to share your kind words with my team here at the hotel. If I or any member of my team can help you in the future do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly, Regards, Jerrod Latham, General Manager.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Hidden in the leafy Cheshire countryside The Portal really is a jewel in the Cheshire countryside. The moment we turned down the driveway that runs just to the side of 1 of the golf courses you immediately see stunning views of the countryside, although your less than 30 minutes away from the motorway.
On arrival, the staff at reception made us feel very welcome. Our room was very spacious with stunning views over the countryside and 1 of the 2 golf courses. The Spa had a larger than usual pool for a hotel complex with sauna, steam and ice rooms which together with the health and beauty treatments made the mid week break really relaxing. The restaurant offered continental and English breakfasts and the evening meals had something for everyone, the service at both ends of the day was 1st class. The lounge bar had a wide range of beverages available and again nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff, a food menu was also available here.
Should you wish a trip away from the hotel, the small village of Tarporley is only a 5 minute drive away with some gorgeous small independent shops or you can go slightly further afield and visit the near by Cheshire Oaks, Trafford Centre or Chester.
I will definitely be returning to The Portal again, many thanks to all the staff that made our trip so enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_Portal, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear cashd, Thank you for spending the time leaving a trip advisor report. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Macdonald Portal Hotel Golf and Spa. It is my intention to share your kind words with my team here at the hotel. If I or any member of my team can help you in the future do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly, Regards, Jerrod Latham, General Manager.

Reviewed 10 January 2011

We booked for a birthday weekend and couldn't fault the Portal Hotel!

The loacation was good to check out what was happening in Cheshire, we visted Chester Zoo and had a freezing day at Cheshire Oaks

Reception and bar staff were helpful and the hotel was the usual Macdonald quality!

The pool, sauna and spa were top class

We booked into the restuarnat and again were not disappointed and the carrot soup for starter was superb!

Rooms were very large and well quipped, the TV's could have been larger and the worst part was the very very uncomfortable pillows. On the whole a definate for a stay in the North West!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2011

Thank you Cox78 for your comments. I will of course pass on your comments to my team. As you have experienced, they are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!