“Wedding Anniversary Meal”

The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Visited the hotel restaurant on 27th July for my auntie and uncles 55th wedding anniversary. There were approximately about 29 guests. Everything from the meal, the service and the overall atmosphere in the restaurant was superb, the waiting on staff just couldn't do enough for us and nothing was a problem. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that's looking for somewhere to celebrate a big occasion!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Guest
I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit to the restaurant. We are having more requests for these special events.
I hope you return again soon. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments the team will be pleased to read of your satisfaction.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Short stay at the hillcrest to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Didn't expect such a fuss, my wife loved it. The food was excellent , the room clean and fresh and the staff brilliant. We felt 'special' during our stay and will not be waiting for another anniversary for our next visit.

Room Tip: trust management advice. they will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for such positive comments i was so pleased you enjoyed such a special day.We look forward to you returning in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding, i booked 2 rooms, a twin for my daughter and her friend and a deluxe suite for myself and my husband, we were attending a wedding. having looked at the hotel pictures it looked really nice, it cost me £171 for the 2 rooms, deluxe rooms all have a balcony and view so it states on Laterooms.com not the case, it looked like something out of the 1920's with stains on the carpet and old tatty furniture, no balcony and a window you could barely see out off it was that dirty, not that you would want to as it overlooked the carpark, which to be fair was a huge one with lots of room for parking, Paper thin walls, not good, you could hear everything going on in the next room, not easy to sleep, the bath was a jacuzzi bath, but was so outdated and scruffy i waited till I got home for a shower, There was a number of rooms booked by relatives we were attending a wedding, the wedding room was lovely and cool, it was a really hot day, but sure they turned it off half way through as the room became unbearable, only one staff member on the bar, come on!!! my family were all on one floor apart from my youngest daughter who was on the other side of the hotel, far away from her family, the breakfast £7.50 each was not the best, help yourself to hard eggs, dry sausage and black pudding, make your own toast, no orange juice, the tomatoes, bacon and beans were okay, left mine as did my husband, Only booked because we were at a wedding wouldnt book again out of choice, my daughters room was tiny but a bit more modern, my sons family room was okay, 3 single beds in one room, not big by any standard, my other sons room Excecutive room was tiny, with a view over the same carpark and no balcony, not very well sign posted as to the rooms, quite often we ended up in some concrete hall with tools and crap everywhere, The staff were very friendly and helpful this is the only good thing i can say, Would I pay to stay here again.....Not likely!!

Room Tip: think first
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments i was sorry to read you were unhappy with some aspects of your visit.
Only some bedrooms have a balcony and the wording is incorrect on laterooms site(we will be asking them to update it)thak you for bringing it to my attention .We have five bedrooms that originally had corner whirlpool baths. They no longer operate and will be replaced and updated with a white suite over time.
The air conditioning was on in the Trafalgar suite all the time. I was there until the early evening and it was fine. I can only think it was struggling with the weather and the numbers later on. I have a servicing agent in tomorrow on another job so i will ask him to check it over. For some of the evening we only had one on the bar as one member of staff went off ill.
Sorry if it caused you a wait.
Breakfast is a standard buffet we have orange juice on it maybe at the time we were replenishing it from the kitchen.If you had mentioned it i am sure we would have attended to you.Toast is served to you at the table although some guests prefer to help themselves to fulfill their own preference.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

went to the hill crest on Friday the 26th july for a theamed party night which included a bbq, disco, free bucks fizz. the food was excellent and plenty of it, the staff friendly,and the dj was also excellent. overall a very enjoyable evening was had by all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments re our summer themed night. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel.
I hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I always try to find positives with hotels I stay in, The only positive I can find is the car park is large with plenty of car parking spaces. Reception very small and only 1 member of staff, therefore check in slow. We paid for an executive double room, would hate to see the standard double. Furniture tired and some of it badly repaired, bedding nice and clean and of good quality but bed poorly made. Bathroom shabby, enamel coming off the taps, wrong shower head on the shower so it kept falling off the rail, once landing on my foot(ouch). Tap handles not matching and the cold tap handle on the wash basin just came off in your hand. Broken glass behind the door in the bathroom. Also the lift was a frightening experience.
Met up with friends in the bar for a drink before going out in the evening, only 1 member of staff on the bar, poor girl working hard but service slow. Ordered a glass of lager and lime for a lady, told there were no small glasses and they would put half in a pint glass, changed our minds and went out.
On returning in the evening there was a wedding in progress, there must have been some trouble as the police were in attendance and a large group of angry people in the lobby and hotel entrance, very intimidating and my wife had concerns about visiting the toilet. Still just the one poor girl in the bar and large queue so decided to get out of the way and go to bed, partly because of the wait at the bar and partly due to the cavemen in the lobby.
On checking out of the hotel at 10:45 smashed glass outside hotel entrance surely this could have been cleaned by now.
Even more disappointed when I realised there was a village hotel in the area, far better service and quality. Will never use this hotel again

Room Tip: I don't think they have any
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback although i am not in agreement on most of your comments. You have not given any details re room etc., so i am unable to pin point the room at this moment. One receptionist on duty for a 50 bedromed Hotel is normal practice and works perfectly.As is the main bar although on occassions we may have another member of staff assist.
There is nothing wrong with the lift it works perfectly and was installed about 20 years ago and is fully certified inspected and serviced.
If you were unhappy with your bedroom had you mentioned it to reception then we may have been able to move you. We are of course sorry for any inconvenience at the time. I am sure you would agree it is impossible to rectify anything after the event when nothing of concern was expressed at the time.
It is true a guest attending a wedding party here called the police as an argument was escalating and the matter was resolved. To suggest that those attending the wedding are "cavemen" is uncalled for and insulting because two or three people misbehaved from an attendance of maybe 200 persons on the premises.
We have garden furniture at the front of the Hotel on decking and inevitably glass is broken especially on a hot summer night as was the case that evening. It is cleared as soon as the following day in the daylight as it was, maybe there were a few bits left, hardly the end of the world.
Finally you mention the Village Hotel nearby. Overall most of their accommodation will be a more luxurious product than our own. However the price will certainly reflect that. We never perport to be of that ilk ,it is not our market we are value for money and most guests express that.
We are of course sorry you were unhappy.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have just returned from a 9 night stay on business.
The room was comfortable and very warm due to the weather but i took a fan,the staff are very friendly and the food was ok,there is not much in the surrounding area but its a good base,i would reccomend for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your favourable comments. We believe we are value for money and we hope you return in the future.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to me with your comments.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I needed to stay overnight close to Liverpool as I was meeting up with friends on the Saturday in the city centre.The hotel was in a good location, a few minutes drive from Widnes Station with a regular service to Liverpool (and where it is reputed that Paul Simon wrote 'Homeward Bound'). The welcome at Reception was friendly and efficient, the room (a single) was a good size and very clean and comfortable. It was a very hot weekend so the lack of air conditioning was disappointing. Breakfast the next morning was very good - a full English served to my table by a really friendly lady. Overall i would be happy to stay again on my next visit to Liverpool.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stematt79
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Guest
Than you for your overall positive comments. I am sure you are aware of the exceptional temperatures we currently have in the UK. There are very few three star Hotels that have air conditioning. Were we to have it then our tariff would reflect that. As we all know generally in the year it is only a hadfull of days where it would be ideal to have this facility.
Thanks again we look forward to your return.
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
Campanile Runcorn
#3 of 3 in Runcorn
Hotel Ibis Styles Haydock
Village Hotel Liverpool

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!