“nice staff but very poor facility” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes

The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“nice staff but very poor facility”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

staff were friendly and helpful, however this hotel is run down, tired and frankly somewhere to avoid if you can.
the lift is old and feels like it could fail. in my room i went to put on the cold water tap and it came off in my hand. The bath tiles had mould in them, and ther was scum around the taps. the hot water was cold every morning. it was august yet the duvet was so thick i had to sleep without any covers , and had the room window open full all evening. the sheets on the bed were too small and didnt tuck under the matress. the decor hasnt been done in years and some of the furniture patched with plywood.
I was there with a group of colleages. we ate in on our 1st evening. food was ok but a number of dishes were "sold out" even although the waitress told us we were the second group of the evening and it was very quiet. had i been paying for this myself, or if i had my family with me i would have looked for somewhere else. my colleages were from abroad, and frankly i was embarassed that we had booked this venue for them - never again

Room Tip: find somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ron28QC
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest
Sorry to read you were unhappy during your visit. The Operations Manager believes he remembers dealing with your hot water issue which was rsolved and asked if you wanted to move rooms at the time. I understand you declined the offer of a bedroom move. The lift is about 18/20 years old which for a lift is not old, works fine is regulary maintained and safety certified.
All the bedrooms have been redecorated in the last 18 months .Some of the bathrooms still require modernisation. I am sorry if your bedroom was not serviced correctly had you mentioned it at the time it would have been rectified.
It is not possible to rectify a problem after the event when we were never made aware in the first instance.
I thank you for your comment and my apologies for any inconvenience you may have suffered.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed with my wife for 1 night with a livingsocial voucher right from the off the staff were superb
visited bar before dinner bar staff could not have been more helpful,the same in the restaurant, the food we had was very good from starter to dessert and the service could not have been bettered anywhere,now the Hotel, this looked very tired in places the reception was not too bad, but the common areas/lift looked old and tired as was our room,the hotel group need to make the hotel up to the standard of the staff and restaurant because it was this that made our stay very enjoyable.if this review was just for the staff/restaurant I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Windsor1940
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments i was pleased you found the staff to be attentive and the food good.
The Hotel lift is about twenty years old which for a lift is not very old. It is serviced regulary and has its safety certification.
Nearly every bedrom has received a minimum of redecoration in the last year some bedrooms have received a total refurbishment.
Overall our guests express we are value for money. If you stay with us in the future and we have upgrade availability ask for an executive bedroom most have been refurbished in the last year or so.
Thank you for your comments i hope you revisit the Hotel in the near future.
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in a business trip. Unfortunately I decided to head down towards the bar to order drink and food at the same time as a large party had arrived to celebrate a birthday. It took some time to order because the bar staff weren't serving in any particular order of people waiting (but as someone who has previously worked in a bar I do know how difficult a large number of people waiting can be)
Ordered steak which was ok, but not great, for the price you are charged.
The downside to this hotel was that I checked in on probably the hottest week of the year so far. Unfortunately I was placed in one of the rooms on the top floor which was like an oven! There was Also a continuous dripping noise coming from the cupboard. Finally, at about 1.30am I rang down to reception to ask for the night porter to do something. In all fairness, he came up pretty quickly and after I had pointed out the dripping and he felt how hot the room was, he did offer to move me to another room. however the only other room left was on the opposite side along the corridor and was just as hot so I politely declined. Although the fans had already been given out, he did manage to find me a large heavy duty one which although it was like sleeping with a noisy helicopter, it did the job cause I couldn't hear the dripping noise anymore (every cloud has a silver lining and all that!). I did read some of the feedback from the manager re the hot spell but I do feel that more could have/should have been done, particularly for those of us of the top floor because of how unbearably hot being up there was.
The room was fairly dated and smelt quite musty and the bathroom could have also done with a refurb.
Breakfast was definitely the best bit of my stay! Good service and great food!

From the outside, the hotel looks great. It's a shame upstairs doesn't follow suite.
Unfortunately because of the whole experience I wouldn't opt to stay there again in the future

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JLW1006
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to read that overall we failed to meet your expectations. With the hot weather we have all encountered unless you are in an airconditioned Hotel there will be some discomfort.
All fans make some noise its inevitable.I dont know which bedroom you stayed in we can upgrade you to an executive bedroom at an increased tariff if you wish.
Pleased you were happy with other aspects of your visit.
Thanks for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Widnes hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed with my husband and my two young children and our stay was awful, the temps outside were 29 degrees yet the hotel still had their heating on, the room was unbearably warm with highs of 40 plus degrees in the room and one small window which opened two inches, we had to bathe our kids in cool water in the early hours of the morning, we were moved and placed into a room with balcony windows we had to watch our small children in this room however we looked forward to a nights sleep as we were all exhausted, two of us had to sleep on the floor and then at 7pm we realised we had been placed next door to a disco which went on again till half one, my small children were exhausted and I left the hotel in tears, it ruined our two days holiday and they refuse to give me a full refund

Room Tip: dont stay here with children
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Holidaymammy1234
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Guest
I am well aware of your complaint. The facts of the matter are as follows. Your reservation was for two nights. On the first night you came down to reception and were given a fan as you were too hot.
The second night you wanted to move to another room on the basis that you thought another bedroom would be cooler. You were given the keys to several bedrooms to look at. You chose the bedroom move to a bedroom with a balcony.As in all buildings you are unfamiliar with you must exercise caution and supervision of children. Each balcony has french type doors before that area which are bolted top and bottom, then you have the balcony, providing you supervise your children at all times then you will have no problems.
The wedding disco you refer to finished at mid night. Having stayed two nights on check out you demanded a full refund! Why you believe you are entitled to this is beyond logic.
I can fully understand how restless children can be in strange surroundings and in the extreme of heat all the country has endured of late.
However the Hotel does not control the elements and the heat would be the same for everyone in any building.There was a radiator on which was on due to a fault in the system this however was in a public area on the ground floor and therefore of virtually no relevance.
I wrote to you on the morning after your visit using the details on your registration card (you inform me that failed to arrive) I have also received and sent several e mails to you regarding the above.
We made a very generous offer purely as a goodwill gesture to you several days ago and i still await your reply.
We are of course sorry that your time with us was not as you expected however the current extremes of climate are exceptional and beyond our control .Unfortunately we all just have to grin and bare it.
Thank you for your comments.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Visited the hotel restaurant on 27th July for my auntie and uncles 55th wedding anniversary. There were approximately about 29 guests. Everything from the meal, the service and the overall atmosphere in the restaurant was superb, the waiting on staff just couldn't do enough for us and nothing was a problem. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that's looking for somewhere to celebrate a big occasion!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Guest
I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit to the restaurant. We are having more requests for these special events.
I hope you return again soon. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments the team will be pleased to read of your satisfaction.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Short stay at the hillcrest to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Didn't expect such a fuss, my wife loved it. The food was excellent , the room clean and fresh and the staff brilliant. We felt 'special' during our stay and will not be waiting for another anniversary for our next visit.

Room Tip: trust management advice. they will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for such positive comments i was so pleased you enjoyed such a special day.We look forward to you returning in the near future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding, i booked 2 rooms, a twin for my daughter and her friend and a deluxe suite for myself and my husband, we were attending a wedding. having looked at the hotel pictures it looked really nice, it cost me £171 for the 2 rooms, deluxe rooms all have a balcony and view so it states on Laterooms.com not the case, it looked like something out of the 1920's with stains on the carpet and old tatty furniture, no balcony and a window you could barely see out off it was that dirty, not that you would want to as it overlooked the carpark, which to be fair was a huge one with lots of room for parking, Paper thin walls, not good, you could hear everything going on in the next room, not easy to sleep, the bath was a jacuzzi bath, but was so outdated and scruffy i waited till I got home for a shower, There was a number of rooms booked by relatives we were attending a wedding, the wedding room was lovely and cool, it was a really hot day, but sure they turned it off half way through as the room became unbearable, only one staff member on the bar, come on!!! my family were all on one floor apart from my youngest daughter who was on the other side of the hotel, far away from her family, the breakfast £7.50 each was not the best, help yourself to hard eggs, dry sausage and black pudding, make your own toast, no orange juice, the tomatoes, bacon and beans were okay, left mine as did my husband, Only booked because we were at a wedding wouldnt book again out of choice, my daughters room was tiny but a bit more modern, my sons family room was okay, 3 single beds in one room, not big by any standard, my other sons room Excecutive room was tiny, with a view over the same carpark and no balcony, not very well sign posted as to the rooms, quite often we ended up in some concrete hall with tools and crap everywhere, The staff were very friendly and helpful this is the only good thing i can say, Would I pay to stay here again.....Not likely!!

Room Tip: think first
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments i was sorry to read you were unhappy with some aspects of your visit.
Only some bedrooms have a balcony and the wording is incorrect on laterooms site(we will be asking them to update it)thak you for bringing it to my attention .We have five bedrooms that originally had corner whirlpool baths. They no longer operate and will be replaced and updated with a white suite over time.
The air conditioning was on in the Trafalgar suite all the time. I was there until the early evening and it was fine. I can only think it was struggling with the weather and the numbers later on. I have a servicing agent in tomorrow on another job so i will ask him to check it over. For some of the evening we only had one on the bar as one member of staff went off ill.
Sorry if it caused you a wait.
Breakfast is a standard buffet we have orange juice on it maybe at the time we were replenishing it from the kitchen.If you had mentioned it i am sure we would have attended to you.Toast is served to you at the table although some guests prefer to help themselves to fulfill their own preference.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
BEST WESTERN Everglades Park Hotel
Premier Inn Widnes Hotel
Premier Inn Liverpool Rainhill Hotel
Suites Hotel & Spa -  Knowsley
Campanile Runcorn
Campanile Runcorn
#3 of 3 in Runcorn
Village Hotel Liverpool

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!