“unwelcoming & tired looking hotel”

The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I arrived for a 1 night stay were I was greeted rudely by the woman behind the desk telling me the room I booked online was no longer available. I was then to find the room I was accommodated to was unserviced, very dated with unclean linen, a dirty bathroom and a bin which was failed to be emptied including used sanitary towels. springs broken in the bed which caused lack of sleep.

when I brought my self to go down for food there was nobody in the restaurant so I headed into the bar were I was told by an unpleasant bar maid that the waiter was on a break, she then give me a what she said was an al a cart menu(no al a cart, just basic pub food) then I was told there was no steak or lamb.

after my bad experience with staff and lack of food I left the hotel first thing the next morning even though I was on a bed and breakfast rate.

I would not advise anyone to visit this hotel!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Travelsolo789
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest
You have not given any details of your room number or name having said that with the problems you say you encountered then I would have expected some of the staff to remember such an incident.
Equally I would have expected the Manager on duty at the time to have been made aware and to have resolved any issues you may have had.
I can find nobody who can recall this. Having stated this, I will answer with the facts that I have. Clearly from your comments the bedroom you were given had not been serviced after the previous occupant.
No guest would accept or sleep in a bedroom that had not been serviced after usage. I therefore find it unusual that having been confronted by such a mess you were not moved to another bedroom (assuming we were not full on that night)
We have a bar snack menu, a more comprehensive menu is available in the restaurant.
There is no Lamb on the bar menu and there never has been. Neither would anyone describe the bar menu as anything other than a bar menu. Sirloin steak is listed, my apologies if we had sold out at the time.
Equally my apologies if you found any of my staff to have been rude or unhelpful you will see that we have lots of positive comments regarding the staff in the main describing the team as friendly. I was therefore amazed at your findings.

Thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Very friendly staff and good service at mealtime and front desk. Six night stay. Fresh cooked scrambled eggs and bacon along with cold cereals, coffee, tea, juices and pastry for breakfast every morning. Ate dinner once and food was just ok for us. Played light rock and Beatles tunes on piped in music in restaurant. Fifteen-twenty minute brisk walk to train station. If you want a bus to stop for you flag it down! We went back and forth to Liverpool, Chester or Manchester on train so good location for us. Management needs to modernize bathroom fixtures, floor tile, cabinets, carpet, etc. Use bleach cleaners in bathroom. Lukewarm-cold shower rather than a hot shower. Beds were fine for 2 adults and teenager. Fairly small TV screen. Five minute walk to a pizza and sandwich/assorted plate shops. Italian food nearby. Fifteen minute walk to small grocery and a restaurant the other direction. Quiet neighborhood although occasionally hear some field sports noise nearby. Would try another hotel next time if we returned to this part of England in the future.

Room Tip: good luck.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank terrysn

Dear Guest
I was pleased to read that in the main you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel.The Hotel as tou mentioned having a good location to access transport facilities and close links to Liverpool and Manchester.
With regards to the bathrooms there is a programme of modernisation for the last few that require attention.
Currently we are completing a corridor of suites and family bedrooms which will be finished by the end of December.
This will leave only about six bathrooms that require modernisation which will take place in 2014.
As a footnote we are not allowed to use bleach as a cleaning agent as a policy.It is a high risk product where splashes particulary to the eyes can result in serios injury.
This is policy in most hotel groups(ar least in the UK that i am aware of) if we had overlooked something my apologies. Had it been mentioned to the reception desk at the time we would have re serviced whatever was required.
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here on a tour bus operator-my room (9) was tired and very small. The bedside cabinet was broken and the window frame was rotten. The bathroom had louvre doors?(a first!)However, the food was really nice-especially the fish n chips(and I'm notoriously fussy!) and the staff to a man- or woman-was exceptionally pleasant and helpful. It IS out of the way- with no shops/amenities nearby-but very good value

Room Tip: Not 9-single, small n chair uncomfortable
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank lindahazlie
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments i have visited the bedroom you stayed in. There isevidence of a previous window repair and paint where the handle is, however it is perfectly serviceable and has a firm close. Decor and design is i supposeis what your taste in decor is.
Personally i think the louvre doors are unusual but rather novel ,never had any comments on them before really.
Pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us and thak you for the staff comments, hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I just want to say how pleased me and my partner was off this hotel, My partner went online to find a place for me and her and i must say the customer service of this hotel was amazing... My partner booked a room with a canopy on the bed but when we got there we got a standard room. don't get me wrong the room was okay but we asked about it and normally at a hotel they just say we have no rooms left.. but this woman tried her best to find us another room. In the end we stayed at the standard room but we got a big hungry so we ordered some sandwiches 24 hour food service. She rang us up and told us that they are sorry for the mess up and they let us have a bottle of wine and the food for free.

When we woke up the next morning the same woman who dealt with us was there and welcomed us. This hotel is excellent, the rooms are big, spacious and the people who run / work in the hotel are very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone because in my eyes it was one of the best hotels i have stayed in England.

Well done Hill crest hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Supersonicradio
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very positive comments . I am sorry there was initial confusion over your reservation in the first instance.
I was however very pleased to read the receptionist responded in the correct manner and we made ammends!
Hope you return again in the near future. We have a lovely four poster which may well be ideal for you on a weekend break.On occasions we have special promotional rates.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

staff were friendly and helpful, however this hotel is run down, tired and frankly somewhere to avoid if you can.
the lift is old and feels like it could fail. in my room i went to put on the cold water tap and it came off in my hand. The bath tiles had mould in them, and ther was scum around the taps. the hot water was cold every morning. it was august yet the duvet was so thick i had to sleep without any covers , and had the room window open full all evening. the sheets on the bed were too small and didnt tuck under the matress. the decor hasnt been done in years and some of the furniture patched with plywood.
I was there with a group of colleages. we ate in on our 1st evening. food was ok but a number of dishes were "sold out" even although the waitress told us we were the second group of the evening and it was very quiet. had i been paying for this myself, or if i had my family with me i would have looked for somewhere else. my colleages were from abroad, and frankly i was embarassed that we had booked this venue for them - never again

Room Tip: find somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ron28QC
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest
Sorry to read you were unhappy during your visit. The Operations Manager believes he remembers dealing with your hot water issue which was rsolved and asked if you wanted to move rooms at the time. I understand you declined the offer of a bedroom move. The lift is about 18/20 years old which for a lift is not old, works fine is regulary maintained and safety certified.
All the bedrooms have been redecorated in the last 18 months .Some of the bathrooms still require modernisation. I am sorry if your bedroom was not serviced correctly had you mentioned it at the time it would have been rectified.
It is not possible to rectify a problem after the event when we were never made aware in the first instance.
I thank you for your comment and my apologies for any inconvenience you may have suffered.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed with my wife for 1 night with a livingsocial voucher right from the off the staff were superb
visited bar before dinner bar staff could not have been more helpful,the same in the restaurant, the food we had was very good from starter to dessert and the service could not have been bettered anywhere,now the Hotel, this looked very tired in places the reception was not too bad, but the common areas/lift looked old and tired as was our room,the hotel group need to make the hotel up to the standard of the staff and restaurant because it was this that made our stay very enjoyable.if this review was just for the staff/restaurant I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Windsor1940
gmhillcrest, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments i was pleased you found the staff to be attentive and the food good.
The Hotel lift is about twenty years old which for a lift is not very old. It is serviced regulary and has its safety certification.
Nearly every bedrom has received a minimum of redecoration in the last year some bedrooms have received a total refurbishment.
Overall our guests express we are value for money. If you stay with us in the future and we have upgrade availability ask for an executive bedroom most have been refurbished in the last year or so.
Thank you for your comments i hope you revisit the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in a business trip. Unfortunately I decided to head down towards the bar to order drink and food at the same time as a large party had arrived to celebrate a birthday. It took some time to order because the bar staff weren't serving in any particular order of people waiting (but as someone who has previously worked in a bar I do know how difficult a large number of people waiting can be)
Ordered steak which was ok, but not great, for the price you are charged.
The downside to this hotel was that I checked in on probably the hottest week of the year so far. Unfortunately I was placed in one of the rooms on the top floor which was like an oven! There was Also a continuous dripping noise coming from the cupboard. Finally, at about 1.30am I rang down to reception to ask for the night porter to do something. In all fairness, he came up pretty quickly and after I had pointed out the dripping and he felt how hot the room was, he did offer to move me to another room. however the only other room left was on the opposite side along the corridor and was just as hot so I politely declined. Although the fans had already been given out, he did manage to find me a large heavy duty one which although it was like sleeping with a noisy helicopter, it did the job cause I couldn't hear the dripping noise anymore (every cloud has a silver lining and all that!). I did read some of the feedback from the manager re the hot spell but I do feel that more could have/should have been done, particularly for those of us of the top floor because of how unbearably hot being up there was.
The room was fairly dated and smelt quite musty and the bathroom could have also done with a refurb.
Breakfast was definitely the best bit of my stay! Good service and great food!

From the outside, the hotel looks great. It's a shame upstairs doesn't follow suite.
Unfortunately because of the whole experience I wouldn't opt to stay there again in the future

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JLW1006

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to read that overall we failed to meet your expectations. With the hot weather we have all encountered unless you are in an airconditioned Hotel there will be some discomfort.
All fans make some noise its inevitable.I dont know which bedroom you stayed in we can upgrade you to an executive bedroom at an increased tariff if you wish.
Pleased you were happy with other aspects of your visit.
Thanks for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
#7 of 21 in Warrington
Holiday Inn Runcorn
Holiday Inn Runcorn
#2 of 3 in Runcorn

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!