“Wedding Day - 26th October 2013”

The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I can honestly say that from start to finish the staff at the Hillcrest Hotel were fantastic when we was planning our wedding. Nothing was to much trouble for them. I have had so many fantastic comments from my relatives and friends saying how beautiful the food was and also the hotel in general. The whole day ran according to plan and I felt I could put my complete trust in John (Hotel Manager). Once again I want to thank everyone who made our day so special, and I would not hesitate in recommending the Hillcrest as a brilliant wedding venue. Thanks Sue & Neil xx

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue8931
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments it was a pleasure to read them, and thank you for leaving
gifts for the staff on duty on your wedding day.
It was a very busy time with two weddings on the same day and I was so pleased to read your comments regarding John who pays great attention to detail on such occasions.
All the team were pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the day.
I hope we have the pleasure of your company in the future.
Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave your views ,myself and the team wish you all the best for the future.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Booked for one night during buisness trip. Check in quick and efficient . Hotel very clean and tidy . Staff nice and friendly. Stayed in room 24 which was a reasonable size . Bed really comfortable and very quite at night. Decor is plain but tidy . Bathroom to a very good standard . Tea and coffee facility's . Nice informal bar area made for a relaxing evening . Breakfast excellent good choice and again service with a smile . Check out quick . I would defiantly recommend this hotel for business trip or short visits . All the staff will make you feel very welcombe .

Room Tip: Room 24 is a reasonable size and good location at rear of hotel nice and quiet .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Neil G
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your overall positive views and comments. I hope we have the pleasure of a future visit from you.
It is motivational for the team when guests take the time to leave such good feedback.
Thank you.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

we had 3 rooms booked for saturday night and we arrived around 12.45pm not expecting any of the rooms to be available until after the 2pm advised check in time but two out of the 3 rooms were ready with the third room ready about 20minutes later.check in was easy and simple and the girl on the desk was more than helpful and friendly.one of the 3 rooms was very small and had no headboards so we asked to be moved again this wasnt a problem and was delt with in a professional manner and quickly.we ate in the cu restaurant on the saturday night and the meal and service was excellent no problems at all and not too expensive breakfast the following morning was of good standard with all the usualls.
the staff at this hotel from top to bottom were excellent couldnt fault there service and i work in the travel industry so stay in many hotels both in the uk and abroad this was up there in terms of service from the staff.however dont expect a top luxury hotel its a comfortable hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank luke b

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments it was a pleasure to read them and i was equally pleased that we managed to facilitate an early check in for you.
We like to think that we are a value for money Hotel. I think you stayed in standard bedrooms. If we have the pleasure of your business again in the future and you require extra comfort i would like to suggest one of our executive bedrooms or one of our Four poster bedrooms.
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We were booked in this hotel as working. away from home.not an ideal place to stay if you are working on a weekend and have to be up early! However it was booked via headoffice.
Two weddings on the Sat night.as the hotel has both a downstairs and upstairs function room not ideal when you are above and kept awake til 1Am!!
The previous night we were kept awake til 1Am due to the noise/shouting etc,as our room overlooked the football pitch and they too must have a club!!we asked to move rooms on the Fri,due to 2 weddings unable to move us to another room.
We complained about the noise and the constant banging of doors while the staff set the function room up on the Friday night.also about the heat and was given a fan.
Breakfast was good,staff friendly,carvery not the best.meat was tough!! plenty of 2 for 1 places near by.
If considering this hotel,ask for rooms away from the function room.
Generally not a bad hotel - although I do find the managers replies comical!! And unprofessional.maybe a less defensive approach and a more helpful approach to his customers experiences.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for you reviews. As in all these matters where possible I investigate and report my findings.
The appropriate reply is afforded from apologies to fair criticism acceptance and apologies for any specific shortfalls from ourselves where appropriate.
Checking our records you stayed for several days’ weekday and weekend. The weekend appears to have been where you encountered a noise problem from other guests.
Your bedroom was not the furthest away from the function rooms however normally we don’t encounter too many issues with non function attendees who stay in this bedroom.
We are of course sorry your sleep was disturbed. When we have functions at the Hotel we expect people to respect other guests staying in the premises. Clearly we cannot predict if someone will misbehave.
When any disturbance from others occurs and we are made aware then the night staff will speak to the persons concerned and make them aware their behaviour is unacceptable.
The Ford social club at the rear of the Hotel normally closes at mid night, I have never had any previous issues with our neighbour’s thank you for informing me, I will mention it to them.
The carvery on the Sunday is the most competitively priced even taking pub restaurants in to consideration at £7.50 for a main course. My apologies if you found the meat tough we would gladly have replaced it with another main course had you mentioned it at the time.
I take the time to afford an individual professional reply to all “reviews”. Even those posted six months after their visit when they weren’t an even trip advisor members at the time!
If you stay with us in the future I would be more than happy to meet you on you arrival and upgrade your bedroom if we have availability.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Myself and my other half were down in Widnes attending a 40th birthday party for a family member who lives locally. Unfortunately, the hotel had a retirement do on the Friday night that we stayed and a wedding reception on the Saturday night. No problems there but as a veteran hotel guest, I would like to point out that the sound insulation in this hotel is the worst I have ever experienced in 20 years of staying in hotels. Had some friends that were also staying in the hotel on the Saturday night and they also commented the same. Additionally, there were staying at the other end of the hotel, so it wasn't as if we were both in adjacent rooms. This was by far the worst part of staying at the hotel, along with some other poor customer service experiences. The room was below average, very tired decor, a bath that wobbled as it had slipped slightly off its feet and a shower that didn't work, plus some bathroom mould. Room was warm enough however and there was plenty of hot water. We booked the hotel for its handiness in location and this was probably the best thing about our stay - quite sad! The original check-in receptionist was humourless and gave the impression that she didn't want to be there, despite myself and my other half being well-mannered and happy guests. We are not demanding customers. The same was experienced at check-out on the Sunday morning.There was only one receptionist checking people out and she was on the telephone for the first five minutes whilst we waiting to hand in our room key. There was no "thank you for staying at the hotel"or "was everything alright with your stay" comments/questions, which is normally a nice polite way of checking customer service levels. One exception to the staffing issues were the staff on breakfast duty. They were very friendly, polite and chatty and created a good ambiance and came across as liking their jobs. Good selection, coffee was tasty and food was above average, room a bit dark and dingy despite being a large space. Furniture was a very dark black colour with dark coloured carpets so that was probably the reason for the dinginess. Very disappointed with this stay overall, myself and my other half both commented that we were glad our stay was purely 'functional' as opposed to, say, a romantic break for two, as I cannot think of a less romantic hotel to stay in and I feel sorry for the couple that good married there on the Saturday night, as I cannot think of anywhere worse or more soulless to get married than the Hillcrest Hotel. Next time myself and my other half visit this area,I will opt to stay in a different hotel. Unless this hotel undergoes extensive customer service improvement and enjoys a large investment in improving the rooms and insulation, we wouldn't stay there again and this was a few hundred pounds wasted on a pretty dreadful stay. Tired decor can be excused up to a point, rude uninterested staff cannot alas. Avoid.

Room Tip: Don't think it makes a difference - you want to check that there are no retirement do's or w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank harveyhalloway
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest????????
We have objected to this as I believe it’s in breach of trip advisor rules.
1 How can anyone leave a review for April 2013 when they were not even a Trip Advisor member until August 2013.
2 How can it be reasonable for the Manager to follow up on any comments from a visit in April and listing comments in October quite extraordinarily unreasonable?

Firstly I was not the General Manager at the time of this visit. I have investigated as much as I can and have found the following.
There is no reservation listed under the name shown for this review? There is however a guest from the Stirling area of Scotland the reservation being under a different name.
Sometimes bookings are under a different name i.e. partner or booked on their behalf by son daughter or whatever using Christian names.
Assuming this is the reservation then I have visited the bedroom they stayed in and it was a standard refurbished bedroom and was in very good order. New carpet headboard, bed curtains, bathroom re tiled etc.,
We have various types of bedrooms on offer depending on your budget and occassion including executive and quality four poster bedrooms with large bathrooms with corner baths.
The bedroom insulation is not the best in the world neither is it the worst. Any disturbance may have been from noisy guests returning to their bedrooms after a night of celebration.
In the event of such a problem at night if we are informed the Night Porter would attend to that if he was informed at the time.
One receptionist on duty on check out in a fifty bed roomed Hotel is an industry norm.
I can appreciate the frustration even a short time can be whilst the receptionist is otherwise engaged on the phone. Those couple of minutes can seem a lot longer.
From your comments you stated you just wanted to leave your key at reception. There is a large brass letter type slit box built into the desk marked keys in order to facilitate a quick exit if you have no outstanding account.
Our function facilities are good the restaurant in particular is in demand with its presence having rather unusual illuminated copper pillars and a conservatory style section at the far end. The stepped entrance affording presence for the bride and groom on the initial entry.
As you state there were two functions on that weekend. For a fee paying wedding client review please read the comment below regarding the quality we offer. Earlier this month we serviced two weddings at the same time. The clients were so appreciative of all aspects of their special day that they returned with gifts of spirit bottles, flowers and chocolates for those team members on that day.
For an actual review of how the client views the wedding service please look below these review comments on trip advisor.
From the above you may think I believe I am over defensive and think we are perfect. Not at all just as in any other business we can fall below guest’s expectations either reasonably or unreasonably. When that happens as inevitably it does with literally thousands of people visiting the Hotel every year, we will make an error or whatever.
When I need to make amends and apologise I will as appropriate.
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have just recently had the most fantastic wedding day at the Hillcrest Hotel ,From the moment we met and agreed what we needed for our day to the actual day of our wedding,the team at the hotel could,nt do enough for us.They worked tirelessly to give us a day we will never forget.A big thank you to John and Tony who with there staff pulled out every stop to give us a truly memorable day,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tony w

Dear Guest
I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your wedding celebrations with us. It really is a pleasure to read such comments and that the team was commited in making your day special.
Thank you again and for placing your trust in us on your special day.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here on a living social deal. First room we were offered we asked to move from. Housekeeping had done a good job cleaning but can't reupholsted dirty chairs or sort out a very old bathroom. Receptionist was very helpful and offered us a choice of two other rooms. In the end we paid £20 extra and upgraded. That room was fine , clean comfortable with a small balcony. Receptionist very kind and got us a free drink each. Hotel couldn't accept the living social deal numbers off the phone app by the way, needed a printed copy for the records, emailed it to the hotel in the end but one to remember.
We were the only two people in the dining room and bitterly disappointed by the table d.hote menu. The 3 starters were fruit juice, garlic bread and salad or soup. Rest equally lackluster. Asked what the allowance was against the A La Carte and told There was none we had to have the table d,hote. In the end restaurant staff let us choose from the a la carte as a favour. Food was very good, well cooked and presented. Only 4 of us in for breakfast which was fine and waitress was pleasant. Staff here are really lovely but I left feeling I had paid £90 for DBB in a very out of the way hotel and had to keep thanking people for the favour of a clean room and decent food.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an executive room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for you comments having investigated your review I can report the following.
Sorry you were unhappy with the condition of the chairs in your first bedroom. I was pleased to see you were happy with your move and upgrade to an executive bedroom and that you were equally pleased with the goodwill gesture of the complimentary drinks.
We don’t accept the screen app of someone’s phone laptop or any other device as a booking confirmation. It states on the living social offer instructions point 3) present printed or Smartphone voucher upon arrival.
We need the above to be reimbursed by LivingSocial. Food is subjective with the upgrade to an executive bedroom you paid £89 for two persons including dinner and breakfast and we upgraded you to another menu at no extra cost.
As the average price for three courses on that menu (which is about to be changed) is about £23 to £25 without coffee add in your breakfast for two people and if you take a step back and look again I would say that was a bargain!
Most three star hotels charge full English breakfast out at between £10 and £16, even if you wanted it at a café price its still unbelievable value as a package.
I believe we acted professionally throughout and made strenuous efforts for you to enjoy your time with us as is evidenced by your own comments.
This Hotel has one of the best road links for attractions I have ever operated being within a short travelling distance of the M57, M6, M62, M6O and M56and M57 easy access to Liverpool with all its attractions Liverpool I shopping, The Beatles Experience, Knowsley Safari Park, Liverpool Football, Gulliver’s World theme park, Manchester, The Trafford Shopping Centre, Manchester Football and the museum. The ancient City of Chester and Cheshire Oaks Designer discount Shopping. Chester Zoo so on and so forth. Plus good public transport of rail link and the two airports of Manchester and Liverpool.
If you are in the area again take advantage of the above ,if you are looking for something a little more special we have two new quality four poster bedrooms with large bathrooms and corner baths. The second of these will have its upgrades completed in December.
Thanks again for your comments we hope you return again and take advantage of the North West attractions available.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
Campanile Runcorn
Campanile Runcorn
#3 of 3 in Runcorn
Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!