“Great room”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
England
“Great room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked on line for a Saturday night on 1st Feb 2014. Booked the hotel at 1600hrs, arrived around 1900hrs. Receptionist was very friendly and knew we were coming. She immediately upgraded us to an executive room.
On entering the room it was lovely and warm. The bed was huge, loads of pillows and really comfortable. Bathroom was clean and quite modern with toiletries in the corner on a piece of slate which was a nice touch. Room had a small LCD TV with plenty of freeview channels. Room also had a balcony which was great. Some great views over towards Wales. The room was spacious and had large wardrobes, trouser press and hair dryer.
A few points which I thought an executive room should have :-
1. No fridge
2. No bottled water
3. No menu for room service
However I can't complain too much as it was a free upgrade after all.
We stayed because we were going to the Ford Club which was right next door. On return to the hotel the nightwatchman let us in and was really friendly asking did we want a drink at the bar. We declined and went to our room. Sleep was great, really comfy bed. Room was a bit hot during the night but once I had turned down the thermostat became more comfortable.
On checkout the receptionist again was very friendly and thanked us for booking to stay there.
I cannot comment on breakfast as we did not wake up in time. The checkout time was great on a weekend, I think it was 12 noon.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay and the free upgrade really made it special. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lexxtheimpaler
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your favourable comments I was pleased to read that the receptionist
reviewed your reservation and upgraded your accommodation to an executive bedroom.
Generally most Hotels of a three star rating don’t have mini bars any longer, they can be a problem to control the stock and can create account disputes with clients over what was the opening stock on the day, this not conducive to client Hotel relations.
We normally have a room service menu in the bedrooms; sorry it was missing on this occasion.
The televisions are good quality however they are on the small size. I intend to upgrade the size in all theses bedrooms before the close of 2014.
Thank you again for your favourable comments, we look forward to you returning in the future.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Arrived late and very weary after a long day and was warmly welcomed and helped out by the very friendly staff who escorted me to my room and brought me up a much needed drink.The room was spacious, immaculate and warm with amazing pillows so had a great nights sleep and the most amazing breakfast where the staff couldnt have done more to help. What a great way to start the day...I will be back to this hotel very soon!!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room its so worth it
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Angie B
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments i was pleased to read that your visit met your expectations.
We look forward to your next visit to the Hotel.

Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Fantastic value for a lovely hotel. Whilst staying in Widnes on a business trip I stayed at the hotel. The management and staff were really friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was perfect. Would recommend to stay again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael D
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments i was pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I hope we can have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.
Thank you for taking the time to give the team feedback.

Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We held our wedding here august 2013 the staff are a credit to the hotel from the reception staff, the staff in the downstairs bar, the staff waiting on for the daytime reception, and of course John the hotel manager. The food was fantastic both day and night and the night time DJ at our reception was really good. John really put us at ease at our wedding planning meet the week of our wedding nothing was too much trouble and everything went to plan. We had a large number of family and friends booked into the hotel and they all had fantastic stay and everyone we spoke to afterwards was full of compliments. I did have a minor issue with my pre-weddding room but this was resolved by the hotel who have generously offered us a complimentary stay on our 1st wedding anniversary. We would definately recommend The Hillcrest Hotel as a wedding venue and would happily do it again .....Thanks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michelle s
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your wedding and equally pleased your guests enjoyed the day as well.
John operates most of the weddings at the Hotel and pays great attention to detail with prior arrangements and on the day itself.
We look forward to you returning to the Hotel, and thank you for such favourable comments.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I went to the hillcrest for lunch with santa with my 2 children, It was brilliant. Food was lovely good value for money, the staff were brilliant very friendly. Good Entertainment for the kids they really enjoyed it. So decided to book the New Years eve Party there with a few friends and glad we did, it was a fantastic night. Food was once again lovely staff again very friendly, The atmosphere was brilliant. Would recommend this to anyone, and I will be joining you again Thank you to the Hillcrest for such a fantastic night :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nicola e
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest
It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding santas lunch and New Years Eve. I was so pleased your family enjoyed your time with us.
We look forward to you returning in the near future.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write with your comments.
Duncan Reich
General Manager A.I.H.
New Malden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Booked a one night stay several weeks in advance. The bed had a lumpy mattress. Complained and was offered another room. Staff very polite and helpful. The room was described as an, ''upgrade''. A bigger room with a bigger TV is not a upgrade. The furnishings very dowdy and dated. Dirty finger marks around the bathroom/lobby switch. Sealant peeling away between the bath and wall tiles. Bathplug not attached to the chain.
When we booked we accepted it would cost £65 B&B. We paid this on arrival but on discussing the cost with family members who had also stayed they had been charged only £45. On return I emailed the Hillcrest to ask why this was. At the time of commenting we have had no reply.
However. Good Breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your bedroom. I forwarded an e mail reply to you which was comprehensive in its content.
I visited your first bedroom and tried the bed and could find nothing wrong with it. I can appreciate that everyone has their preference for a mattress and becomes used to their own home selection of firm soft or whatever.
You were upgraded to an executive bedroom which was fully refurbished about two years ago is of very good quality modern and the beds have a very soft mattress and the beds were nearly 1k when installed.
I believe the décor is not to your taste however it is of high quality.
We generally have good comments regarding these bedrooms especially the comfort afforded by the beds.
It’s true at the time that the plug chain had broken and there was a small area where the silicone sealant had lifted. Whilst neither of these is desirable and my apologies in the first instance (it should have been perfect before the client used the bedroom.) It is hardly the end of the world on a free upgrade.
I explained in my e mail how tariffs worked however for the benefit of others viewing this reply as follows.
When you reserve accommodation a firm price is given at the time. Nearer the time if
The sale of accommodation is below expectations then we may well reduce the price to encourage more bookings.
This would be direct with the Hotel and via various rates and packages promoted on websites which are also adjusted. Just as you would expect to pay significantly more for your holiday say in August than you would for the same product out of season. Or as retail experience comparison where an item has been selling at say £80 has not moved much stock the retailer decides to reduce his margin and sell at a lesser rate at say £40, we are no different excepting our product is perishable i.e. when today’s date has gone 7/1/2014 its gone for good ,whilst other industries still have the product produced to sell another day.
We are in effect selling that day.
Equally you could reserve months in advance at an agreed rate and a future event demand means later bookings are at a higher rate nearer the date its supply and demand against your competitors just as as in any other industry.
Purely as a gesture of goodwill I made what I believe is a generous offer for this client to return.
Hopefully I will receive a reply and acceptance in the future.
Thank you for your comments, my apologies for any inconvenience you may have suffered.

Duncan Reich
General Manager A.I.H.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Had my works Christmas party at the hillcrest, I also booked a room for the one night, the room was clean & cosy the staff were friendly & helpful & the Christmas party was great I also had breakfast to heal my hang over which went down a treat lovely breakfast. Would stay again

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Nooney1984
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourself at the party night
and your overnight stay met your expectations.
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
BEST WESTERN Everglades Park Hotel
Village Hotel Warrington
Village Hotel Warrington
#10 of 21 in Warrington
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,574 reviews

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!