“great hotel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stopped here for 1 night after booking with national holidays for Barry manilow but when arrived hotel didnt have us booked in which was holiday company fault but hotel gaves us a free drink to have while we waited for room plus also upgraded room for us too which was great. Room was massive clean light warm perfect really 2 big double beds. Food at evening is bit poor due to choice not taste. Only fault was it was hard getting up the ramp to get in due to it was very narrow and over grown bush made it even harder anyone with big chair/scooter wouldn't get up it as its not wide enough. Certainty one of the better hotels national holidays have chosen

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank popsey2116
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments I was pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
Food really is whatever the person’s preference is we try our best.
By coincidence we pruned some of the bushes at the front yesterday as they were starting to encroach on the walkway.
Hope to see you sometime in the future.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in room 55 this week and frankly Corus you should be ashamed asking top rates for third rate accommodation.

The fabric of the room and bath room was beyond being 'very shabby' and clearly it was LONG overdue a refurb by a couple of decades.

I also eat at the hotel in the evening and was treated to a menu from the 1970's to match my room.

The breakfast was a little better, but spoilt by only having one waitress serving who spend most of the time moaning about there being too many guests..... Which made you feel very welcome!

Frankly business travellers save your money and go to a Premier Inn decor more up to date, bigger rooms and a more comfortable bed.

Corus get your act together if you're charging people to stay at the Hillcrest.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Bobcholmes
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I have made a preliminary investigation concerning your booking.
On investigation you paid a good commercial tariff and you should never have been placed in that bedroom. We only have a few bedrooms left at the Hotel that still require refurbishment and room 55 is one of them.
I don’t have an issue selling the bedroom at a budget tariff your tariff certainly was not and my sincere apologies for your disappointment.
We have some excellent and very spacious refurbished bedrooms with 42 inch HD flat screen televisions and 2000 plus pocket sprung king size beds with sofas and vey large bathrooms.
Food is a personal choice our current menu has only been in about two months and generally well received.
I will be speaking to the waitress on duty for that day concerning her comments. If you look back on our reviews you will observe most are very positive and breakfast service is mentioned as being very good.
I apologise that our approach on the day was unprofessional. I will be writing to you under separate cover shortly.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Travellers are raving about these Widnes hotels

Enfield
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We used this hotel for a four night stop whilst on holiday with Grand UK. We had a twin room which was clean, warm and comfortable. It overlooked a little garden area so we woke up to bird song each morning. If I had to find a negative it would be that there was limited hanging space and no draw space. There was a good wholesome breakfast which was self service, which was fine and a good choice for the evening meals. The food was cooked to order and was really enjoyable. Although we were a coach party the restaurant arranged the seating so that we could sit in two's or fours instead of being bundled all together. A nice touch. If you ever go, check out the hidden piano in the bar area of the restaurant! The biggest asset to the hotel is the staff. Valerie and Pauline in the restaurant area were excellent and all of the staff were very helpful, pleasant and polite. I would happily return to this hotel if ever I am in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PatriciaEnfield
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments. I was pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel.
We like to think that in the main we are a value for money Hotel and we hope to see you return in the future.

South Shields, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here easter weekend with national holidays on the coronation street tour,the staff were helpful and friendly especially Valerie our waitress,the food was excellent.the receptionist helped me to get onto the free Wi-Fi that even got a good signal on the second floor.we didn't use the hotel's bar as we went to the ford social club behind the hotel where a live band were on.our room was near to a lift which I was grateful for and. was clean and warm.I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lift if you have mobility problems
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine C
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I was especially pleased to read about Valerie on Breakfast service, Valerie and Pauline are our two long term breakfast ladies and I like to think they are a team within a team.
Hope to see you return in the not too distant future, maybe on a weekend away for our Comedy Night on June 6th.
Thanks again for your time.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Not sure why people have issues as we found everything about The Hillcrest was excellent.
Friendly helpful staff, clean and nicely decorated room, excellent dinner and breakfast and a nice bar to sit in and have a drink or 2.
What more do you require from a hotel?
Will definitely use again when in the area.

Room Tip: We had a room at the rear very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peoman1
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time in giving the team positive feedback. Generally client comments are very favourable. As in all businesses on rare occasions we may fall short of client’s expectations or we have fallen short at the Hotel. As I stated previously this is rare.
I was pleased you enjoyed the food as well as the overall facilities.Hope to see you return in the future.

Middlesbrough
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed overnight as part of a national holiday trip, very warm welcome,
food was excellent ,the staff where very friendly and helpful in the restaurant,
The hotel was clean and smelt lovely,
would definitely stay again and recommend to a friend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina G
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive views. We were pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
Hope you return in the near future.
Thanks again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Our daughwas& son booked us in at the hillcrest on Fri 11th April 2014, for my husband's birthday,we were greeted by friendly staff,our room was clean,bed was huge,just compact enough for the two of us, the food was excellent, nothing was too much trouble,on asking for a sweet sparkling wine to my taste, breakfast was excellent.Lighting was alittle dark,& cud do with little modernization,too much brass, bt will recommend,& look forward to goin bk, x

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank 16Mollie
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments I was pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us and pleased to see you would return.
Next time why not treat yourself and reserve one of our new quality suites with king size four poster beds and 42 inch TVs with luxurious bathrooms?
Cost of course is a little more, for a weekend away or special event more than worth it!
We look forward to you returning in the near future.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
Village Hotel Warrington
Village Hotel Warrington
#10 of 21 in Warrington
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,635 reviews

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!