“Excellent value for money, best breakfast ever” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lovelady Shield Country House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Alston B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money, best breakfast ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We recently stayed at the lovelady shield hotel with a Travelzoo offer, 7 course tasting menu and wine. The hotel is in a beautiful location, even though the rain was pouring and the mist did nothing to enhance the scenery, (yes, in June). The person who booked us in, was aware that I had informed them that I do not eat cheese, and explained that alternatives would be offered. Our room meant we had the view as per the professional photo above, overlooking the croquet lawn and fountains, which was beautiful. I agree, some parts of the hotel are looking a little tired but this did not distract from the trip. I believe that you get what you pay for, and on this occasion, I think you get far more than that.
We were dreading the pre-dinner drinks (as we also consider ourselves to be grumpy and do not like to socialise), but there were plenty of places to sit and enjoy our drinks.
The dinner was faultless and the wines ok (sorry Peter, but my unrefined palette definitely preferred your wife's choice of wine!). My husband will source the smoked goats cheese from the internet and we were provided with the recipe for the flat bread which was served with the cheese course (I did receive an alternative too).
After dinner, contrary to our standard behaviour, we met a charming couple from Miami, Florida and chatted into the wee hours, without feeling pressured into purchasing drinks etc. Again, we thought the wine list was extensive and very reasonably priced.
Finally, the breakfast was the best we have ever eaten. We have visited Michelin starred restaurants and recently stayed at The Hand and Flowers, but the breakfast there did not touch this one.
Overall, an excellent trip, beautiful location, fantastic food, and knowledgable staff. We would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank joan t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Leeds, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We chose this hotel through a red letter day gift. The hotel was clean and . functional but not special. We were put in a very small attic room, was this because we were using a gift card. We decided not to eat there as seemed too formal. We were pleased we made this decision. However, breakfast was very tasty. The area was also lovely. Not hugely impressed.

Room Tip: Don't have the attic room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AmeliaLeeds
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I booked a weekend for my partner, sister and her husband. Although I expected great scenery, I was surprised at how breathtaking the scenery was. The rooms are fine - nothing special but lean and functional. Staff were exceptionally friendly andd efficient. The highlight of my trip was the breakfast. I 've travelled the world over and it takes a lot to impress me. Lovelady Shield managed it with their outstanding breakfast choice and quality. Only a short drive from impressive sections of Hadrian's wall and Nothumberland National Park it was an ideal weekend.
Well done. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 1000_Angela_1000
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here following the purchase of the gourmet tasting menu TravelZoo voucher (my first ever TravelZoo purchase)

Booking our dates hotel was really simple and everything was clearly explained to us. Finding the hotel was really easy, the scenery all the way was beautiful. The service at the hotel was so welcoming. I had informed when I booked that I don't eat beef, when I checked-in this was confirmed and queried whether I would be happy with a lamb alternative. This lamb was superb. No words can describe how much I enjoyed this along with the rest of the courses on the gourmet tasting menu. The wines that were paired with each course were all so wonderful.

The room we were given was clean and beautiful with a stunning vista from every window.

Additionally, I was able to get an emergency supply of toothpaste from reception after I accidentally brushed my teeth with shaving cream - thank you so much again for your help!

I have and would highly recommend this hotel, the staff, the food, the location to everyone. I'm so glad I bought the TravelZoo voucher otherwise I would never have known such a beautiful place exists. And I'll definitely be purchasing from TravelZoo again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SujataG
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed on a Sunday night deal - Room and ‘Gourmet Tasting Menu’ with wine. The food was superb, the staff were excellent. There were a few minor niggles with the room (which I am sure will be put right) but don’t let that put you off. The deal was excellent value and I recommend it.

The owner signs replies to adverse Trip Advisor comments as “miserable grumpy old bu**er”, we didn’t find this to be the case. On the contrary we thought he was charming. Taking the part of the ‘sommelier’ he informed us about the wine for each course. He was perceptive and the first sommelier I have met who wasn’t condescending in talking to those less informed than themselves.

It is a part of the UK we rarely visit but the scenery, and the hotel, are well worth a detour

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David S
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just returned from not one but two consecutive 7 course taster evenings and have to say the food is excellent, both meals different and the wine choices on both evenings also different but equally enjoyable!
The breakfasts are also some of the best we've had.
Very relaxing environment and yes the hotel shows wear is some places but how many small country hotels of this type don't? Go with an open mind, enjoy the food, wine and the location and appreciate what Peter and the team at LLS are trying to do.....just chill.......

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HTBNth
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a wekend at Lovelady and we just loved everything about our stay. Firstly Peter and the staff so friendly, welcoming and charming.
Accomodation a stunning country home,
Fabulous grandfather clock.... nearly put in in the car to take home ,,,,joking!
Last but not least the food. Kedgeree to die for. I told Peter I have eaten it in many countries but his was simply devine. Go there and be spoiled :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank scottiewanderer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alston
Nent Hall Country House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alston
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge

Been to Lovelady Shield Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!