“Not for everyone, certainly not for families”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beckermet
Tarnside Caravan Park
London, United Kingdom
“Not for everyone, certainly not for families”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just returned from the Tarnside and all I can say is ''We escaped'. It is basically way out of the way. It took us 1hr 30m to get to Amberslide, Windermere area, 45 mins to get to Keswick and this is why I say that it is not for everyone.
Agreed that the place is next to the beach but it feels so unsafe. It is not Tarnside's fault, the people are very good actually, it is Hoseasons who are at fault for mis-selling this as a 'family caravan park' becuase it simply isn't. As someone said here, it is a caravan park for the workers at the Sellafield Nuclear plant. being next to the beach is not as good as it sounds. Last week the wind was blowing all night, we had the caravan heating turned up to max.
It must be said though that the caravan was neat and clean (except the linen). There are radiators in all rooms which is great!
Go there only if you prefer living away from the crowds and you dont want to visit the main areas e.g. Kendal, Windermere etc but otherwise please dont go.
The one big mistake I made before booking this is the fact that I did not read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking it! Big mistake!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Coupleoftravellers

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have just got back from a short break staying at Tarnside, we booked last minute online and the caravan was excellent, spotlessly clean and overlooking the sea. Tarnside is a very peaceful quiet site, lots of walks along the shingle beach and we went to sleep to the sound of the waves. The clubhouse was clean, cheap and very welcoming, that includes both staff and the contractors who live there. The kids played pool whilst we enjoyed a couple of drinks. We plan to return there soon and I am so pleased that we did not let the negative reviews here influence our choice. A short drive took us to St Bees and easy access to the rest of the lakes if you do not mind driving. Thanks to Carol on reception who was always friendly and helpful and Tom behind the bar in the clubhouse, who made our family feel very welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TheHMobOnTour
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Where to begin, we booked this site off the Internet for only one nights stay " thank god "
On arrival we navigated the narrowest of lanes just to get to the site, pulling a trailer for our tent ect, met on coming traffic in lanes and squeezed our way past, if you have a touring caravan you should forget this site, anyway after arriving , we where given a choice of 3 electric pitches, so decided on the level one, tent pitch we gazed around , a beautiful sea view in front of us , but turn to your left and the whole panorama is filled with the site of cellafield nuclear power station, as a result of being sited next to the power station , they seem to cater for the work force of the power station, scruffy work men coming and going, and when they do change and go to the bar for a after work drink, that's when the bad language starts , I'm a 44 year old truck driver , so I'm used to bad language , but every other wide was "[--]" this and "[--]" that, so glad my 4 year old boy was not there.
The final thing to mention are the toilets and shower block, filth ,filth,filth. If you do not believe me then go ahead and book a nights stay and check it out for yourself, but remember I did try and warn you

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gary C
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I'm glad I didn't read some of these negative reviews before visiting this park. On arrival as it was late was greeted by a man behind the bar who was very helpful and and welcoming showed me where to find our caravan and when I asked if the local pub had sky sports he said he would gladly put it on In the bar for me the Guinness was good and at a reasonable price as for the park our kids and dog loved it. Had a lovely walk along beach the area was very quiet and very relaxing caravan very warm and clean. We will return.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank lemmyleeds
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We have just returned from this park, we had gone for the fishing, to walk the dog on the beach and to relax and eat out each evening for a relaxing break. On arrival the park was desolate then someone called a lady who arrived to book us in, she asked us to go for a walk while she prepared the caravan. The location of this was great with sea views, was clean and comfortable. However we soon realised that the nearest pub The White Mare was a mile away meaning a car journey therefore only a small drink with an evening meal to allow the drive back. There are no fish in the Tarn this was corroborated by locals and an angling shop. The beach !so called is a coast line there is no beach unless the tide is right out. Should shopping, petrol or a bank be required allow a 20 minute drive each time not to mention a daily paper. The club house is used by the contractors who live there and don't take too kindly to holiday makers who may like to sit in their bar !! Hoseasons are misrepresenting tis park and I will never book through them again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nicola B
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We went for four nights in our own tourer for the easter break We knew it was a peaceful site nothing really there for children but they do have another site just down the road at st bees for the more lively. We arrived quite late so reception was shut but the bar staff were really friendly and helpful and showed us to our pitch. Although they are still developing this site it was an enjoyable stay a new club has been built and will soon be serving food in the new kitchen we found the bar staff so friendly and some of the locals. I took our dog on the beach every day it was great also the station is right on the doorstep if you want a break from driving . We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynncarter1
Bolton,
Reviewed 5 August 2010

My wife and myself booked a few days at Tarnside. We booked it primarily because it allowed us to take our 2 dogs and there was fishing on site, as we both like to fish.
The site is quite remote, and the drive down the country lanes (at some points a cars width) requires total concentration. The locals know these roads well and seemed quite contemptuous towards you being obviously cautious on unfamiliar roads.
We arrived to a very nice, spacious caravan with lovely sea views. After unpacking we had a quick look round the site. Damn was it quick too, the place is tiny. We noticed that even though they allow dogs onto the site, there is actually no provisions made for dogs whatsoever. All there is are a couple of dog poop bins, thats it. There are signs stating dogs to be kept on leads at all times. theres no exercise area or dog toilet. The nearest walking area is actually the beach, which is only a couple of mins walk, but this can really only be used to run dogs in the morning when the tide is out and the sand is there. At high tide the beach is far too stoney,
There is a large grassed area in the centre of the site,which would be an ideal area for children to play, but this was full of tents, and the children on site were really left with very little area to play on. I felt quite sorry for them as even just a kick about with a football was limited to short passes, such was the lack of space for them. It really isn't child friendly in terms of playing.
A few of the residents were workers from Sellafield, so we really didn't see much of them. One elderly resident was kind enough to lend us an iron, as irons are not supplied in the caravan. This is the first site I've ever been too that doesn't provide an iron as part of the inventory. We went to reception to ask if they had an iron we could borrow. The place was deserted apart from one of the site workers, we asked him to ask reception when someone turned up, he said someone would be in touch. They never even had the courtesy to say no. We heard nothing.
If you do go another thing to take with you is towels.
As you turn onto the site you are greeted by the wonderful fishing lake. It's lovely thing to look at but thats where it ends. That is unless ALL you intend to fish for is roach. I spoke to a couple of anglers and they told me thats all thats in it, apart from a few pike. To catch the pike the best place to go is the islands at the top end of the lake, but if you go there be prepared to share your peg with a bull or two.
Make sure you stock up well with provisions as the nearest shop is about 5 miles away.
We went to the White Mare pub, which is about 3 miles away (its also the nearest) for a meal. After a 45 min wait for our food, I left the steak as it was like shoe leather. (I would normally have returned it,but feared it would take another 45 mins to put right.)I took the steak out and gave it my dogs, they enjoyed it. Halfway through our meal they started a quiz, and we were sat in the middle of everyone still eating. (My devilish side came out at this point, so I shouted out the answers. It hacked a few people off , but it made me feel better.)
If all you're after is a relaxing break in a nice caravan with lovely views then you might like it here, it's a nice place to be to get away from it all, but for the more active everything is a car drive away.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hayzee-Cozmic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckermet
Seacote Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beckermet
Blackbeck Hotel & Brewery
Blackbeck Hotel & Brewery
#2 of 2 in Beckermet

Been to Tarnside Caravan Park? Share your experiences!