“Excellent place”

Tarnside Caravan Park
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went to Tarnside caravan park with our dog. It was perfect. Direct access to the beach which allowed for long walks with the dog and sea fishing for my husband. We went at the end of October 2013 and although we had quite a lot of rain there was actually one day that we walked on the beach in thirst and jeans. The views were fantastic and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. From the site we visited various places in the lakes and had a very stress free holiday. Cannot wait to go back. We would highly recommend it. D Mathlouthi.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debra M

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Lets start off by mentioning the negative reviews on here. Simple thing to do is, ignore them.

It seems to me people are complaining about the location of the caravan park, this is a mistake of the people booking the accommodation NOT of the site itself. If you don't want back of beyond, then don't bother booking and then slating the site for it.

Spent 3 nights, a long weekend, at Tarnside in October. The place is fantastic if you want peace and quiet, just what we wanted. We usually stay up in St Bees but this is as much as a nice place and setting as St Bees.

The site offers fantastic views of the West Coast, roaring sea, big open pebble and sand beaches, sea air, birdlife, wildlife, it just doesn't get any better.

The Caravan we stayed in was lovely and clean without any traces of any pets that had preceded us, from the front window we could see straight out to the Irish Sea, a view that Alfie our Toy Poodle kind of liked!

Braystones train station was just below our van but with the infrequent train traffic no disturbance was felt, but if you're in to trains then even better!

The site offers a great base to visit Whiteaven, St Bees, Keswick, only 15 minutes to Egremont if you fancy a lovely Frasers Fish and Chip supper!

All in all, could not fault the place and the addition of a small, wonderfully clean bar offers what most small and quiet caravan sites don't offer, a pint at night.

I'd say just give it a whirl and take your walking boots and binoculars! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank dballi82
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Don't let the bad reviews put you off. I have just returned after a week at Tarnside. The Caravan was clean and well equipped. The site was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My car broke down on the second day and the staff were great, offering to check on my disabled mother as I had to go with my car.
The views of the beach and sea were great. I got some spectacular Sunset photos, all without leaving the caravan.
We were not affected by the workmen that live on the site, they were friendly at all times. The site is not advertised as a family park. There is an easier way in to the site if you follow the directions from Junction 40 M6, not junction 36 as Satnav takes you.
Sellafield is close by, however I did not notice it for 2 days. It does not ruin the beautiful views of Scafell or the coast.
I needed a relaxing week away from the stresses of work, I was not disappointed.
The only thing that it could have would be a small shop just selling the basics, apart from that it was great. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank KirstyB71
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just returned from the Tarnside and all I can say is ''We escaped'. It is basically way out of the way. It took us 1hr 30m to get to Amberslide, Windermere area, 45 mins to get to Keswick and this is why I say that it is not for everyone.
Agreed that the place is next to the beach but it feels so unsafe. It is not Tarnside's fault, the people are very good actually, it is Hoseasons who are at fault for mis-selling this as a 'family caravan park' becuase it simply isn't. As someone said here, it is a caravan park for the workers at the Sellafield Nuclear plant. being next to the beach is not as good as it sounds. Last week the wind was blowing all night, we had the caravan heating turned up to max.
It must be said though that the caravan was neat and clean (except the linen). There are radiators in all rooms which is great!
Go there only if you prefer living away from the crowds and you dont want to visit the main areas e.g. Kendal, Windermere etc but otherwise please dont go.
The one big mistake I made before booking this is the fact that I did not read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking it! Big mistake!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Coupleoftravellers
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have just got back from a short break staying at Tarnside, we booked last minute online and the caravan was excellent, spotlessly clean and overlooking the sea. Tarnside is a very peaceful quiet site, lots of walks along the shingle beach and we went to sleep to the sound of the waves. The clubhouse was clean, cheap and very welcoming, that includes both staff and the contractors who live there. The kids played pool whilst we enjoyed a couple of drinks. We plan to return there soon and I am so pleased that we did not let the negative reviews here influence our choice. A short drive took us to St Bees and easy access to the rest of the lakes if you do not mind driving. Thanks to Carol on reception who was always friendly and helpful and Tom behind the bar in the clubhouse, who made our family feel very welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TheHMobOnTour
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Where to begin, we booked this site off the Internet for only one nights stay " thank god "
On arrival we navigated the narrowest of lanes just to get to the site, pulling a trailer for our tent ect, met on coming traffic in lanes and squeezed our way past, if you have a touring caravan you should forget this site, anyway after arriving , we where given a choice of 3 electric pitches, so decided on the level one, tent pitch we gazed around , a beautiful sea view in front of us , but turn to your left and the whole panorama is filled with the site of cellafield nuclear power station, as a result of being sited next to the power station , they seem to cater for the work force of the power station, scruffy work men coming and going, and when they do change and go to the bar for a after work drink, that's when the bad language starts , I'm a 44 year old truck driver , so I'm used to bad language , but every other wide was "[--]" this and "[--]" that, so glad my 4 year old boy was not there.
The final thing to mention are the toilets and shower block, filth ,filth,filth. If you do not believe me then go ahead and book a nights stay and check it out for yourself, but remember I did try and warn you

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gary C
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I'm glad I didn't read some of these negative reviews before visiting this park. On arrival as it was late was greeted by a man behind the bar who was very helpful and and welcoming showed me where to find our caravan and when I asked if the local pub had sky sports he said he would gladly put it on In the bar for me the Guinness was good and at a reasonable price as for the park our kids and dog loved it. Had a lovely walk along beach the area was very quiet and very relaxing caravan very warm and clean. We will return.

• Stayed: May 2013