“a bit of a mix-up”

The White Mare Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Mare Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Beckermet
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Egremont, United Kingdom
“a bit of a mix-up”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

4 members of our family went to the White Mare on a quiet Tuesday night.
They had run out of the beer my husband ordered and I was served with Kronenburg lager after ordering Kopperberg fruit cider.
After that was sorted out we ordered our meals. We waited rather a long time considering there were only 2 other diners.
The waitress announced"venison" unfortunately none of us had ordered it although the people at the table behind had ordered and already eaten it.
Eventually our meals arrived, the lasagne was lovely and my son-in -law had the cumberland sausage which went down a treat. My husband had the steak pie which he awarded 2 out of 10.
On leaving we were asked if all was well with the meal. I mentioned the steak pie, he asked if it had gravy and onions in which it never and then went on to tell us that Mary who usually makes it had hurt her back .
The pub/hotel has recently changed hands and whilst the staff were friendly and will probably improve with time, if you're ordering steak pie, ask who made it before you order, if it's not Mary, Beware.!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Valerie R
Zach H, Business Partner at The White Mare Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am sorry to hear about your experience when you visited the venue. The pub at the time was being ran by a management company on behalf of the brewery until new tenants were found. We are the new tenants since Jan 2014 and have changed the menu extensively since your visit so most of the dishes are homemade and locally sourced now and we have new chefs.

We don't serve Kopperberg fruit cider but do have all of the Bulmers fruit cider range, the plan is to put the new Strongbow fruit cider on draft when it becomes available in the next few weeks as fruit ciders are becoming so popular and so refreshing when the "good weather" finally arrives.

Please come back and try the new menu and have a look at the other changes we have made to the place and hopefully give us a more favourable review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cumbria
“Birthday break company fantastic. Very poor food”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a very poor service and the food wasn't much better, we had baked Brie which was awful and just cut up wedges of Brie put in microwave and then put in oven it was badly presented and bad service ,
Main course was not any better
Gammon and pork chops
The eggs on the gammon were well undercooked and was supposed to get peas but got mixed veg poorly cooked gammon
Pork chops were tough thought I was eating trainer insoles the cider apple gravy was not any better gravy with cider , taste was awful.
Do you think I'll go back. No

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Shutupp11
I am sorry to hear about the poor service and food you received at the venue. The place has gone through a number of temporary management companies where the service and the good reputation has suffered. We have taken on the premises in Jan 2014 and have changed a large number of things including new staff, chefs and have changed the menu. The menu is now mainly homemade and locally sourced with a large changing specials board

I hope you will come back and give us a chance to show you what a good place the White Mare is and how we have changed it back into a warm and friendly place to come and eat that it used to be
Egremont, United Kingdom
“abysmal”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I returned to the pub for lunch, following it's reopening after a number of weeks closure.

The pub is under the management of a surly caretaker landlord; the most important fact that I gleaned was that the original chef was no longer with them (having gone to the Stanley Arms at Calderbridge).

I attempted to eat an inedible steak pie, the meat was 'stringy and tough' there was no great pleasure in the experience.

Was also able to observe three chaps return to the bar with part drunk pints of 'speckled hen', informing the landlord that they were undrinkable. His response was to say that he would change the barrel! One wonders if it was more a condition of the beer lines to the taps, rather than the condition of the modern metal beer keg.

Prior to leaving requested that a cheese platter be prepared, to be informed that there was "no cheese"!

The final nail to the unfortunate coffin, was ge discovery that it was the chef's 'day off'; so I'm at a loss to determine whom actually was preparing the food?

Ohh, one couple wanted ham, to be told that there was none.

Sadly this was the luncheon pub of my choice, now no longer. Do not frequent this establishment, unless you wish to determine the low level metric, upon which to judge other and better pubs!

I am sorry to hear of your poor food and service you received at the White Mare. The pub since Aug 2013 was being run by a management company on behalf of the brewery while a new tenant was found. We have taken on the lease on Jan 2014 and our aim is to rebuild the reputation of the venue after the harm the management company have done.

The beer lines are cleaned every Monday and after each barrel on the cask ales. We generally have one caledonian ale and a guest ale on.

We have 2 new Chefs and a new menu so please come back and allow us to show you the quality of our beers and the new homemade food and hopefully post a more representative view of how the venue is now after all our changes
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“BANG ON GRUB!!!!"GAFFER A BIT WEIRD THOUGH".”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I rocked up at this place after being told by one of the sellarfield police officers that it was bang on for grub,he then warned me about the landlord!!!!!I was stranded on the hgv park so wasn't familiar with the area,on entering the Mare I was greeted by a wary looking bloke,i asked if he accepted card payments and he said that he did with a minimum spend of a tenner,no problem there,but wot followed was like something out of faulty towers,he is by no way rude or aggressive,but insists on calling you SIR all the time.the food though is top notch and I would say very reasonable,i had the sirloin which was cooked to perfection,as were the home cooked chips and the veg was brill.oh yeah and so was the onion rings and the mushrooms,good night.

• Visited July 2013
“We love it here”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Nice country pub/restaurant...Great food, good menu with nice specials. Sunday carvery one of the best around. Staff can be a bit hit and miss with service, and long queues at the bar at times, so hence the loss of one star!

Special promotional events nights fairly good too (eg bonfire night etc) although you need to get your food early or you might end up with something different to eat than what's advertised.

• Visited July 2013