“up and coming!”
Review of The White Mare

The White Mare
Ranked #1 of 2 Beckermet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2013

From reading the last review I was very apprehensive about being booked into this hotel for by work, but as I wasnt paying what the hell!!
Was welcomed pleasantly by all the staff on entering to check in. Only one real ale on, but it was particulary good! As a member of CAMRA I am keen to see that real ale is being promoted especially in local pubs. On asking the manager why only real ale he told me that he had only been there a couple of weeks and that he would rather have one ale on that is kept perfectly, rather than 2 or 3 that might not sell. Hats off to the chap as it was excellent!
Food was what I expected, traditional pub grub that filled the plate and my belly! my only grumble is that it probably is a little more than what I would pay in my local!
Room was very comfortable, clean and warm. My breakfast was cooked by a lovely lady and the manager even stopped for a quick chat before taking his dog for his morning walk!
All in all i had a very enjoyable stay and would tell anyone to give it a try. Felt like staying with a relative for the night with a very warm reception and thoroughly enjoyable stay!!

Room Tip: White Mare was more than adaquate
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Maverick s
Zach H, Business Partner at The White Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for your review, the White Mare has now been taken over by 2 local families. We endeavour to continue the high standards and we now have at least 2 cask ales on all the time.

Please come back and sample the ales and our extensive homemade and locally sourced menu

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This pub, owned by Star pubs, the new name for Scottish and Newcastle pubs, is best avoided for the time being. It has been run by a succession of temporary managers for a while and is almost always empty. My last three visits, just for an evening drink, were very poor. First time - the one real ale on was truly awful. Way too old and there was no more to put on. The second visit, around 9:45pm, they didn't even want us in. Were just waiting till the few hotel guests had gone to bed. The third - just one, very poor, real ale on, coupled with a funny attitude from the latest manager.

I hope it will improve when a permanent manager takes over.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

We are sorry to here of your poor service with the temporary managers.The White Mare has now been taken by two local families. Our aim is to bring the White Mare back to where it use to be at the heart of the village and make it a happy and welcoming place for all. There are now always at least two real ales on the food on the menu is predominately homemade and locally sourced and we have re-introduced the popular Sunday Carvery. Please come back and give us a try and sample our wonderful ales and food.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been to the White Mare twice since my last review and both times I was disappointed, especially the last time. - I should have written a review but didn't, I am glad I didn't.

I said I wouldn't go back but got invited by a friend. I am very glad I did, the pub has been taken over by a new management team and the old atmosphere is back to where it was. The staff looked happier and actually seemed to want to be there which last time it was the opposite.

I had the carvery and it was lovely - The beef and gammon were juicy and the tatties were best I have had for a while.

Please give the new owners the benefit of the doubt and give them a try

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter D

Thank you for your review Peter - I see you have visited the White Mare a number of times, I hope you will come back and see the changes we have made to the place since your last review. We have added a snug area and moved the carvery to the restaurant area. The menu has been totally changed from the previous tenants and now includes a large number of homemade and locally sourced items.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Where to start, the staff and the owners in particular are rude and obnoxious and increased the price or beers as they knew we were not "local". The food came cold and had we noticed hairs in the meal and the plates had unusual staining. Please beware of visiting this place!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chicken_pen_ken
Juliet H, Personal Assistant to Director at The White Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

We are very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us, please would you kindly tell me on which day, and time and what you had to eat? We pride ourselves on excellent service and good food, this is out of the ordinary, so please let us know the information so that this concern can be dealt with appropriately.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Went here a couple of weeks back when decided to venture out for Sunday Lunch. Was your typical carvery but a damn sight better than some we have been to in the past, generous portions and the veg was hot! Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Only gripe would be if we were the ones who got stuck at the back of a queue waiting to be served like some we saw (only one person serving) but would definitely go again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2013

ive been staying here on and off for the last 8 years i love the feel of the place staff are friendly and food is ok huge breakfast in the morning i just wish they would spend a little money on new mattresses in there beds i have woke up with back ache most of the time as the mattresses are far to soft i have stayed there at least once every year over the last 8 years i have slept in all the double rooms and its always the same no matter what room i stay in please sort this out and i will return this year and rate you much better :)

Room Tip: try out the bed first see what you think
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank upayforwhatyouget
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I came back to see where I use to work during school holidays and it was like stepping back in time, nothing had changed, apart from staff. the decorations were still the same.

Food was plentiful and excellent. It is full of regular eaters and the sunday lunch is worth noting.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckermet
Grove Court Hotel
The Manor
The Manor
#1 of 3 in St Bees
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel

Been to The White Mare? Share your experiences!