Derwentwater Independent Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lodore Falls Hotel(Borrowdale)
View Hotel
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
View Hotel
All reviewsbunk bedsself catering kitchenbarrow housecooked mealstable tennisconvenient locationpool roomashness bridgefamily roomwonderful scenerylots of hot waterkeswick towngreat facilitieswalking routespacked lunchevening meals and breakfastclean rooms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Booked for a weekend for a 16 all male party (which I pre-warned the hostel about). The staff were exceptionally helpful the whole weekend and amenable to our requests (later evening access for example). Plenty of advice and help was given to suggestions for places for our group to go.

The breakfasts were good and did the job setting us up for the day. Our evening meal was cheap and cheerful and set us up for an evening out.

The setting is fantastic in front of Derwent Water, and it's not difficult to get in and out of town with taxi's (much cheaper than in London!). We were quite happy hanging around the hostel, playing pool, table tennis and having a few beers outside in the garden.

The rooms did the job for a bunch of lads, nothing special, one room was a bit musty, but for a bed for the two nights it was fine. The place could maybe do with a bit of updating, but it's huge and it's understandable that it can't all be done in one go.

So generally thanks for a great weekend.

Room Tip: Group booking - it should be possible to put you a little out the way in the annex.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank evano
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Firstly the good points- friendly staff who are available to answer any queries plus the location is superb, the house itself built in the 1790's still has original georgian features which I loved. The ladies toilets I used on the first floor were dated but very clean.The waterfall at the rear of the hostel is great as are the walks in the area. Sadly though I would not stay here again unless some investment is spent on the hostel, there is a very musty damp smell on entering the hostel and an awful smell lingering on the corridor on the first floor which I can only describe as a mixture of garlic and stale sweat and I have to say it made me feel nauseous. The decor, curtains, carpet and self catering kitchen have seen much better days.The pillow protectors were dirty and I removed them plus the mattress protector had not seen a wash for a while. I'm not picky and I don't expect the dorchester knowing it was a youth hostel but this was not a cheap youth hostel- £100 for a six bed family room for 1 night without its own bathroom, I therefore feel it's overpriced for what's on offer.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank darcilou
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed here recently for one night with a couple of friends for my stag do. Staff were very accommodating and understanding of our situation as stag parties are not always welcomed! The hostel is reasonably clean, the beds were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good. There was free table tennis available too which is always a bonus! The building is in need of some repair, and I think there is a small problem with damp, but i'm not fussy about that at all. Great location, great views and friendly staff.. I would recommend staying here!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank chrisheaps
Reviewed 23 July 2012

You know that weekend when the weather was apocalyptic, and everything flooded, and the Lake District got the worst of it? That was the weekend of our family reunion in Borrowdale.

I hadn't booked at the Derwentwater YHA as I'd intended to camp up the road in Grange. However, the sodden state of the M6 on the way up convinced me to head straight to Barrow House. I was given a very warm welcome and a snug and comfortable dorm bed for the night.

Meanwhile in Grange, a small hurricane hit. My brother's tent blew away. Everything was drenched. He phoned me, shouting. In the background, his missus was hysterical, the kids were crying. I suggested they come to Barrow House to calm down for a bit. The staff welcomed them without a murmur, rustled up a family room at a reasonable price, helped out with the washing machine, listened patiently to their tales of woe and were excellent with the kids (5 and 13). They also provided the five of us with a fantastic evening meal at short notice, and didn't mind us monopolising both the drying room and the ping-pong table for much of the night.

That weekend, Barrow House was a home-from-home. The facilities are fantastic - spotlessly clean, and enough of everything, from plates, pots and pans in the self-catering kitchen, to soap and paper towels in the toilets. There are even three lounges to choose from when you want to crash out. The beds are comfortable, the location lovely - scenery out front, a waterfall out back - and the breakfast and evening meals in the restaurant are great.

I have stayed in many hostels all over the world, and on facilities alone I would say Barrow House is one of the best. But highest praise of all goes to the staff, who, along with doing an excellent job of running the place, and being unfailingly pleasant at all hours of day and night, went way beyond the call of duty in bending over backwards to help my brother and his family in their hour of need.

Thanks a million guys. You rock :o)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Derwentwater Youth Hostel is exactly what one expects from a British youth hostel: basic; friendly staff; reasonably clean and comfortable. However, the location and the view from the terrace are spectacular. Perfectly placed to embark on a hike around the beautiful hills above or a splash in the beautiful lake below.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends