“Lovely Stay at a lovely hotel”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Lodore Falls Hotel. From the moment we arrived everything was superb. The staff are friendly and courteous, they are always cheerful and try to be of assistance. The ambiance of the hotel is just right. There is a combination of great service and good value for money. You get efficiency without the corporate background of a chain of hotels. The bar is well run and efficient and the wonderful dining room serves wonderful food from imaginative menus that ooze quality. The service at breakfast is served promptly and is a good start to any day. We can thoroughly recommend the Lodore Falls hotel; and we are that happy with it we changed our hotel for our next visit to the Lake District from a supposed superior hotel to return to the Lodore Falls Hotel.

Room Tip: Worth a visit
2  Thank degman

Reviewed 14 April 2011

Very nice hotel, excellent views of Derwentwater.
Really nice bar area with good range of drinks.
Tasty food (big portions!).
Would definitely stay again.

(Negatives: The lift is ancient and a bit scary! Quite expensive).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We enjoyed an excellent value dinner, bed and breakfast package booked direct with the hotel. Staff excellent, food very good, accommodation good. Location excellent.

Reviewed 6 April 2011

We stayed March 29th to April 1st and had a wonderful time. The service is professional and courteous, extending to friendly & charming from the Maitre'D & some of his waiting staff in the restaurant. The room was a very good size, with a panoramic view over Derwentwater, clean, tastefully decorated, you couldn't ask for more. The inclusive 4 course dinner on the first evening surprised me in terms of its quality, they have a captive audience but still provide an excellent dinner, the duck in particular was exceptionally good. The kindly Maitre'D recommended a lovely bottle of wine. We had our coffee in the library in front of the fire - wonderful! Top marks also for the inclusive breakfast, great chioce. On the 2nd morning while my boyfriend was still in bed the restaurant manager sat me with a view of the Lake and found me a newspaper, thoughtful touches like this were common. Two suggestions/constructuve feedback: 1) Perhaps a little bench out front for removing muddy boots after walking would be nice? Even better still a boot jack and or brush to remove the worst mud! Just a thought 2) The nice receptionist told me it was a 40 minute drive to Cartmel as we had a lunch booking at L'Enclume but we were 40 mins late as it takes 1hr 20 mins! Just a tip for her. Overall many thanks for making our first trip to the Lake District so positive!

Room Tip: We stayed in 303, centre of top floor, great views
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henzines
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This hotel has the potential to be great yet something is still missing. Having been a repeat customer, the hotel has it all- location, facilities, great food- every ingredient to be exceptional is there except for one- customer service.

The customer service leaves a lot to be desired in terms of real customer service experiences and consistency with that service. At times during dinner I was waiting for a smile from the waiting staff that just didn't come. In the leisure centre I was waiting to be treated as the surroundings command- like a VIP and it just wasn't there. Instead I was told the jacuzzi was fully booked from a staff member whose body language and attitude said to me "I don't want to work here, why do I have to deal with customers!". Later questioning revealed that a slot was indeed available later in the day.

Now this is a pricey way to spend a weekend so I expect the finest experience available. We travel around a bit so we generally stay at hotels for one night. This doesn't mean we should be treated as any less of a priority than our fellow travellers who stay for longer- it is clear that guests who stay for a short-break are given the special treatment.

I also didn't like the updated pool as when we last visited there were tables and chairs so we could relax and enjoy lunch by the pool. This option was clearly not available this time round.

Also, a good way to engage employees is to offer discounted rates or free use of the facilities, I understand that, but as guests we don't need to be privy to this so a little discretion would be welcome. I suggest a different register for this at the leisure club otherwise it seems like just a staff club and guests are a small inconvenience.

The reservation staff were quite abrupt and didn't handle our reservation with a level of service worthy of this place either.

You can see a common theme emerging I'm sure. Indeed, the bar staff actually walked off as I was approaching to get a drink- hardly excellent service. At times also (given a large proportion of the hotel's workers speak a different language) there were staff conferences taking place at the bar whereby staff were having animated debate in a foreign tongue. As an English hotel surely this low level of customer awareness is not tolerated? I should hope not.

So overall, it was again enjoyable but a drop in the standard of service is clearly starting to show as staff become complacent rather than attentive, and disengaged rather than eager & happy to serve.

As someone who understands the massive value of customer service excellence and thoroughly enjoys visiting this hotel in every other respect of the experience ( I have told many people about this hotel & will continue to do so), the standard of service is clearly faltering and if this continues then I will be finding a new Lakeland getaway very soon.

2  Thank BWManchester
Reviewed 23 March 2011

My fiancee and I stayed here in February, and had a very nice weekend.
I booked it through travelzoo and got the '2 nights Fell view room, with tea and scones on arrival and dinner on 1st night' package. I was a bit apprehensive before checking in as you never know what to expect from these deals, but I soon relaxed on checking in.
Very polite staff, a very nice room and a very nice hotel!
Dinner was very nice and we felt as though we we're given the same service as everyone else. I didn't fancy any of the main's on offer (because i'm a fussy eater!) so I paid the supplement for the sirloin steak. This wasn't an issue as I knew about this from previous reviews.
On the second day we used the squash court, gym pool and hot tub. This was a great way to spend a cold day, though it was a bit too cold and damp in the squash court(hopefully there are plans to refurbish this?)
The highlight was definitely sitting in the outside hot tub, breathing that fresh air.
On the second night(Sunday) we drove to keswick for dinner as we fancied a change of scenery.
All in all we had a brilliant stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scottandkerrie
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Many thanks for your wonderful words in review of our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed you stay with us and completely agree that the hot tub is a really special way to spend time whilst watching the waters of Lodore flow past.

Thank you once again for your fantastic review and I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to this stunning part of the world again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Reviewed 23 March 2011

Me and my husband recently stayed at this hotel on a great deal with Travelzoo. We were met by very, very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was spacious, with a comfy bed and lovely bathroom. Could have done with a better view but as we do not go on holiday to stay in the room it was fine. We had dinner on the first night which was great (as a vegetarian it was nice to have a choice of more than two dishes) the only downside was the desserts. As I don't eat anything with animal fat I was offered a limited choice of fruit salad or sorbet (which I had as a palate cleanser after the starter!) So it would have been nice to have a more substantial dessert (my husband had cheesecake which looked yummy). All in all though a great hotel of the highest standard and cannot wait to go back again. We have found a real gem in the Lake District. Go there you will love it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jakeStaffordshire

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel.

I am delighted to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of the hotel, staff and it's services and very much hope that you will become one of our regular customers who enjoy regular visits to this most beautiful part of the country.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!