“Amazing stay”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Just returned from two nights dinner, bed & breakfast at the Lodore, I dont have one bad thing to say about the place, fantastic location, wonderful comfy lounges, brilliant staff who cant do enough for you & the food was out of this world.

A special thanks to Hans & Alex who arranged for us to move rooms on the second night & it was awesome, the hotel deserves all the accolades it gets & this is primarily down to the attitude of the staff.

You should all be very proud of the service you provide & I cannot wait to return 10 /10

Room Tip: If you can afford it upgrade to a lake view on the 2nd or 3rd floor :-)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed here for a two night break , food was very good, the staff were all very professional and friendly. All rooms were spotlessly clean, a bonus was the hotel had the most wonderful xmas decorations and the weather was fantastic.

Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Having just returned from a 2 night stay at The Ladore Falls Hotel I feel morally obliged to write this review. From the title of this review you will no doubt have guessed that it is going to be very favourable....my French description ( I couldn’t think of an English alternative) just about sums up what was a very pleasurable stay indeed. Where do I start?.....probably best to start from the moment we stepped into the reception area where 2 smart ladies checked us in. How nice it was to be informed that we had been upgraded to a Club Room on the 3rd floor, Room 319...no grovelling required from me on that issue then ...SORTED! After parking the car I made my way to our room where my wife was already ensconced having accompanied the porter with our bags. Peaking through a small gap in the doorway she hinted that if this was an upgrade then I was going to be very disappointed!!......needless to say that when I eagerly made my way past her and found out that she was having a laugh at my expense how delighted I was. WOW.....it turned out that this was one of the featured rooms in their brochure and how right they were to show it off. WOW again!! The pictures I have included with this review should do more justice than anything I can write about it.... although I don’t think they show the 2 wall mounted TV’s?, one in the sitting area and the other in the bedroom. Other reviews have criticised the lift by the way...OK, it is on the small side and it could do with a new bit of carpet on the walls and floor but it did the job it was intended for so we have no complaints and in all the time we used it we only saw 1 other couple alight from it. So, full marks for reception and bedroom.....I would like to give extra marks for the room if I could. Next in line for scrutiny would be the Dining Room and Service.

Our package included Dinner and Canapes and was well worth the rate we paid. Dinner comprised of 4 courses with coffee and sweets and we certainly were not disappointed at the extensive menu set before us which was different on both nights so it is obviously changed on a daily basis. We retired to 1 of the 5 lounge areas on offer and enjoyed our coffee in front of the living fire. This was particularly handy as we have 2 Labrador gundogs who slept in our 4x4 so it was nice to bring them into the hotel for a while before they were put out for the evening. This private area did not infringe on the other guests at all. The breakfasts maintained the standards set by the dinner menu and the Scottish Kippers with parsley butter were delicious. The service we had the pleasure to be bestowed upon for the entire duration of our visit was 5 stars throughout... Previous comments I feel have adversely criticised the preponderance of Eastern European staff within the hotel? ...all I would say to that is that if this is what customer service is like in Poland, Latvia, Estonia or Russia then it is time British staff should take a leaf out of their book. The service given by all the staff within the hotel was 1st class and I would like to give reference to specific members but I cannot remember how to spell their names.....one restaurant waiter will know who I am referring to if I say “better luck next time” !!

We would definitely return to this Hotel on another occasion even if it was just to sample the delights the hotel has to offer without necessarily having to justify it by visiting the many attractions that Keswick and the Lakes has to offer. The Ladore jetty is located a couple of hundred yards from the hotel and gives guests the opportunity to hop on to the hourly ferry if they want to travel round the lake. During our stay a film crew on location nearby were also using the hotel so it was novel for us to be hobnobbing with TV celebrities....no names allowed for data-protection I’m sure !! If I had to be picky and try and find fault with our stay the only slight negative would be with the car parking facilities which are located over the busy road.....however with a rock cliff bordering the rear of the property there’s not exactly much the Hotel can do to rectify this....short of excavating a thousand tons of hillside!

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Our second visit was a 3-day stay in August. The hotel has great views of the lake and many rooms give views of Derwentwater, Catbells and Skiddaw. Only a short drive to Keswick, which can also be reached by bus or boat. The attractions of Borrowdale and Buttermere are also nearby. Expensive, but the hotel often offers discounts for multi-night stays. The dining room has fine views. Breakfast is cooked to order, and is exceptional. The bedrooms are comfortable but not luxurious. The staff were consistently helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Took advantage of a 2 night break pay for 1 night at the Lodore Falls Hotel accompanied by the BOSS. The hotel is in the lovely Borrowdale Valley in the Lakes near Keswick. It has great views over Derwentwater and the falls at the rear of the hotel are stunning. The hotel was very good, room was good with nice views staff were polite helpful and efficient. The warm brandy apple Pimms on arrival was surprisingly delicious. Dinner on the first night was really good. Breakfast was ok but the kippers I ordered on the second morning was a very small portion but tasty.
Overall I would rate the hotel a 3.5 rather than 4 star as advertised. Look out for the specialoffers as normal prices are expensive.

Room Tip: Get a lake view it is worth the extra.
W Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We booked a 2 night break with Travelzoo at Lodore Falls in November. The Hotel was decked out for Christmas and was very tastefully decorated, with a theme of "the Nutcracker". A very comfortable stay. We had a standard room, but it was excellent, bed very comfortable. The food is superb, and the staff are caring and friendly. Would recommend highly. Walked round the lake a little, then caught the launch which took us into Keswick, and caught the bus back. The views over the lake are stunning. In fact, our favourite area in the Lakes.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed for two nights, in October. The location is quite good, with some rooms over looking the lake. There is car parking but it's over the road and you need to be careful on that blind bend. The problem is it is just lacking in ambience. I love the Lakes, but the majority of staff here are from Eastern Europe. Nothing against that but it would be nice to indulge in a little conversation now and again. To be offered the menu at dinner with the phrase "Look see" doesn't quite do it. Round that off with being presented with our food and the advice " Enjoy now", might give you an idea of the problem. My advise to the hotel, don't be so finance driven, pay staff a little more and get some local characters on board, it is they who can make your hotel special again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank MarkLynch93
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
I've just had a flick through recent reviews on our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel and am comforted to read that you are in a vast minority in your opinion of our tremendous and hard working team. Sure many of them are from overseas but I can assure you that all of them like me are hugely proud of the hotel they work in and of the service they give.

If by your title "The signs of a modern world" you mean that multiculturalism has found its way to the Lake District, you're correct and as a major employer in the part of the world our company is hugely proud of each and every one of our team regardless of their origin. As for making Lodore special again.....it always has been special and will continue to be so as long as we have such dedicated people working within it.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,261 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!