“staff excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Chester, United Kingdom
“staff excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

we stayed on 19th and 20th november 2011. My partner booked it as a last minute break. Lovely clean hotel, staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a meal on the night we arrived and were tired and the staff let us eat our dessert in our room and brought it up for us. Two members of staff Stoyne behind the bar and Dana who waits on the tables and helps with rooms were especially nice and pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Beautiful views on the first floor - room 105. Dog friendly hotel, we didnt mind this as we love dogs but could hear a bit of barking now and again which might put some people off. Like I said it didnt bother us as it was only a minor point. Checking in were also helpful as they will tuck your luggage away somewhere safe until the room is ready. Definitely stay at this hotel again and we couldnt have asked for anything more.

Room Tip: Views on the first floor are recommended, with a lake view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
SWANSEA, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

We often visit Borrowdale as we have family there. We have stayed in several hotels in the area but shied away from the large ones until now. I wish we hadn't. Lodore Falls Hotel is absolutely the best. The manager was unobtrusive but everywhere. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Our room elegantly decorated, the bed comfortable, service excellent. The food in the restuarant (breakfast and dinner) the best we'd eaten in a hotel. And when we took our grandchildren in (2 & 5) to see the Christmas decorations and nutcracker ballet costumes on display in the bar and foyer, the welcome they received was just as warm as the one we'd had on arrival. The swimming pool and area was beautifully clean and well kept. What more can I say. If I could give this hotel and the excellent staff ten stars I would. We look forward to returning. (And yes - re some of the other reviews, the lift is small - it's an old hotel revel in the original features and use it to make friends. We did)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank writer59
Consett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here for a wonderful 2 night bed, breakfast and evening meal break.
Food fantastic, bedroom large, nicely decorated and spotless. Staff very friendly and always willing to help. My wife visited the spa and enjoyed the experience. Location perfect for a chilling time. We went on a lovely walk turning left out of the hotel and following a path around Derwentwater to Keswick. Caught the ferry back to the docking which is located outside the hotel.
Will certainly return to this hotel very soon

Room Tip: No mobile telephone reception inside hotel but ok in car park opposite
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Just come back (16/17 November) from a two night DBB stay. Staff were hugely professional, rooms spotlessly clean. Christmas Decorations just added that little bit extra with those little cosy snug areas to relax and sip a Pimms or read the paper were just great. Food was very good indeed and wines were priced competitively, some even available in a 1/2 bottle (can't sell many surely!!). Will we go back? A resounding yes! Book it you won't be disappointed.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Just returned from two nights dinner, bed & breakfast at the Lodore, I dont have one bad thing to say about the place, fantastic location, wonderful comfy lounges, brilliant staff who cant do enough for you & the food was out of this world.

A special thanks to Hans & Alex who arranged for us to move rooms on the second night & it was awesome, the hotel deserves all the accolades it gets & this is primarily down to the attitude of the staff.

You should all be very proud of the service you provide & I cannot wait to return 10 /10

Room Tip: If you can afford it upgrade to a lake view on the 2nd or 3rd floor :-)
Peebles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed here for a two night break , food was very good, the staff were all very professional and friendly. All rooms were spotlessly clean, a bonus was the hotel had the most wonderful xmas decorations and the weather was fantastic.

Hawick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Having just returned from a 2 night stay at The Ladore Falls Hotel I feel morally obliged to write this review. From the title of this review you will no doubt have guessed that it is going to be very favourable....my French description ( I couldn’t think of an English alternative) just about sums up what was a very pleasurable stay indeed. Where do I start?.....probably best to start from the moment we stepped into the reception area where 2 smart ladies checked us in. How nice it was to be informed that we had been upgraded to a Club Room on the 3rd floor, Room 319...no grovelling required from me on that issue then ...SORTED! After parking the car I made my way to our room where my wife was already ensconced having accompanied the porter with our bags. Peaking through a small gap in the doorway she hinted that if this was an upgrade then I was going to be very disappointed!!......needless to say that when I eagerly made my way past her and found out that she was having a laugh at my expense how delighted I was. WOW.....it turned out that this was one of the featured rooms in their brochure and how right they were to show it off. WOW again!! The pictures I have included with this review should do more justice than anything I can write about it.... although I don’t think they show the 2 wall mounted TV’s?, one in the sitting area and the other in the bedroom. Other reviews have criticised the lift by the way...OK, it is on the small side and it could do with a new bit of carpet on the walls and floor but it did the job it was intended for so we have no complaints and in all the time we used it we only saw 1 other couple alight from it. So, full marks for reception and bedroom.....I would like to give extra marks for the room if I could. Next in line for scrutiny would be the Dining Room and Service.

Our package included Dinner and Canapes and was well worth the rate we paid. Dinner comprised of 4 courses with coffee and sweets and we certainly were not disappointed at the extensive menu set before us which was different on both nights so it is obviously changed on a daily basis. We retired to 1 of the 5 lounge areas on offer and enjoyed our coffee in front of the living fire. This was particularly handy as we have 2 Labrador gundogs who slept in our 4x4 so it was nice to bring them into the hotel for a while before they were put out for the evening. This private area did not infringe on the other guests at all. The breakfasts maintained the standards set by the dinner menu and the Scottish Kippers with parsley butter were delicious. The service we had the pleasure to be bestowed upon for the entire duration of our visit was 5 stars throughout... Previous comments I feel have adversely criticised the preponderance of Eastern European staff within the hotel? ...all I would say to that is that if this is what customer service is like in Poland, Latvia, Estonia or Russia then it is time British staff should take a leaf out of their book. The service given by all the staff within the hotel was 1st class and I would like to give reference to specific members but I cannot remember how to spell their names.....one restaurant waiter will know who I am referring to if I say “better luck next time” !!

We would definitely return to this Hotel on another occasion even if it was just to sample the delights the hotel has to offer without necessarily having to justify it by visiting the many attractions that Keswick and the Lakes has to offer. The Ladore jetty is located a couple of hundred yards from the hotel and gives guests the opportunity to hop on to the hourly ferry if they want to travel round the lake. During our stay a film crew on location nearby were also using the hotel so it was novel for us to be hobnobbing with TV celebrities....no names allowed for data-protection I’m sure !! If I had to be picky and try and find fault with our stay the only slight negative would be with the car parking facilities which are located over the busy road.....however with a rock cliff bordering the rear of the property there’s not exactly much the Hotel can do to rectify this....short of excavating a thousand tons of hillside!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,210 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!