“Outstanding service and great place to relax” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service and great place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Just visited Lodore with the wife booking a Travelzoo deal for £150 pp for 2 nights DBB including lunch on the first day. The lunch was the first thing that impressed me as it was from the full menu in the restaurant and not some limited budget version I would have expected as part of a deal. The furniture in the room was a little dated and looking onto the rear of the building but if we had upgraded we would have had lovely views. I have to say that the staff in the hotel are plentiful and every single one of them were polite, friendly and immaculately efficient. The food throughout was first class. We were fortunate enough to visit over Valentines weekend when there was a Valentines special menu and a classy inobtrusive singer on the Saturday evening. The spacious lounge and bar sitting areas have multiple fires and cosy chairs and it's lovely to sit around the fire or gaze out of the window looking over the lake. We made use of the Spa facilities too which were very pleasant. We did have a little bit of a negative attitude from the man at the check in desk upon leaving and paying the bill where there was a mistake and some drinks we had already paid for appeared on there. It was a genuine mistake by a member of staff but we were made to feel like we were trying to rip the hotel off and the blame was with us with his further insinuation and manner. Aside from him all the staff were great but it left a little bit of a bad feeling upon checkout. This blip aside, we'll definitely return to the Lodore for another trip to the wonderful lake district next spring. There were young, old and families staying so it appeals to all. The hotel was very busy at a time when the lakes can be fairly quiet which tells you that it must be well liked.

Room Tip: Try for a room to the front overlooking the river if at all possible. If none available however, yo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bogsnorkeller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I am a quite a regular at Lodore (more so if I had the time and money) - I absolutely adore it.
There is no better place ANYWHERE. When I am not there I just crave for the place.
I have stayed in many of the rooms and they are ALL excellent.
I am a bit of a foodie and love good quality food, and the Lodore never dissapoints. Food again is excellent, I cannot fault it or any of the services.
Staff are just incredible - from Angie (reservations) to Jake (best cappaccino ever tasted) and then there is Graeme - Graeme is a jem, and makes any stay there all the more enjoyable.
I could waffle on all day about the Lodore Hotel and how fantastic it is. But go for yourself and find out, I can guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

Teresa Parnell & Jason Palfrey
Suffolk

Room Tip: Lake View Rooms are lovely but all are good.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Teresa P
Hatfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This would have been right out of our price range had we not obtained a less-than-half-price special offer. Hence my expectations were very high, though not always fully realised.. The bedroom was generally pleasant, but on the small side. We had to put our second suitcase on the dressing table (or the floor). There was hardly any room in the bathroom to put one's washbag and other bits and pieces - and the design of the hot tap for the bath necessitated my calling someone to get instructions! However the curtains were nicely heavy and lightproof in our room and there were lots of comfortable armchairs and sofas in the public bar and sitting rooms. The staff were pleasant and obliging, though they changed frequently so it was difficult to become familiar with individuals. At breakfast plenty of choice was offered, but the toast arrived on the table so early on that it was cold by the time I was ready to eat it, There was an impressively wide menu for the evening meal, including locally produced food. Simply because of the price I doubt I shall come back, though we enjoyed ourselves and the countryside location. Regular buses were available for Keswick (4 miles away) and to the bottom of the Honister Pass. In summer you can board boats nearby for trips round the lake.

Room Tip: If you want an open view of Derwentwater and mountains, you must be prepared to pay extra.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AilsaC76
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

just arrived back home after my son's wedding.The whole family had a wonderful time. The staff were excellent and worked so hard to make the day very special, The fod both at the wedding breakfast and in the evening was excellent, All in all it was a lovely with memories which will always be very special, the sorrounding area makes a wonderful setting for very special pictures. Thank you to all the staff at the Lodores for helping to make my son and his new wife's day very special.

Room Tip: Fell view rooms very good but standard rooms although comfortable are a bit small
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen W
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Many thanks for your wonderful review on this site.

Lodore Falls is now one of the leading wedding venues in Cumbria with unrivalled standards of food and service in addition to THE finest setting in the Lake District. I'm so pleased that we lived up to these principles when looking after your son, his new bride and all family and friends recently.

Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review and I very much hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon in this wonderful part of the world.

Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

As the title says seems at a 4 star hotel you no longer get bottled water in your room even a 2 room suite.
Been going back for 7 years now and would never think of not going but it is the little things, such as the bottled water where they seem to have made savings with no drop in room price.

But in saying that the staff, well what can i say there great, this hotel would close without Hans and Jake they go out of ther way to make your stay wonderful, but they all do a great job even if i do not know there names.

Yes i would recommend and yes i will go back, even if the owners are getting a bit tight.

Room Tip: get a lake view even if it costs more
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful hotel on this site.

I do wish you had mentioned to me about the lack of bottled water, at the time of your stay with us, as I would have been only too delighted to have provided this with my compliments.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the team here at Lodore Falls Hotel, I am very proud of each and every one of them.

I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lodore in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I would like to start off by saying the Lodore falls hotel is a little slice of heaven inn the lakes we have been to the hotel several times over the last 5 years and even went for our honeymoon and we are intending to go back this Easter with our 1 year old every time we have stayed at the Lodore we have been treated to a wonderfully sumptuous holiday the food is delightful and very well prepared the rooms are clean and comfortable the staff are alway happy to see us and are very helpful in all ways imaginable the spa is exceptional in fact I don't think we've had a holiday there where we haven't partaken of the spas facility's I highly recommend this hotel to anyone of all ages that like spa holidays, walking holidays or just want to relax and kick back the hotel is situated near to the start of a few very good hiking trails and surprise point is worth the walk / drive up there. Many thanks for a lot of lovely holidays and hopefully many more to come:)

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Stevie1984
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I read all the reviews for this hotel and must say that the hotel is a lovely place to visit. The views are great, the hotel was very nice and the food was excellent. All the reviews are spot on. However beware, when I went to check out I barely glanced at my bill, not expecting any problems in such a hotel, but I noticed extra drinks had been added to my bar bill. When I asked about it I was shown the signed receipt slips for the drinks in question, but they were NOT signed by me. Someone had used my room number AND attempted to copy my signature! I suppose anyone could have given my room number BUT only a member of the hotel staff would have known my name.
I asked to speak to the manager who promptly came to speak to me and to have the drinks bill removed from my final bill, he also assured me that he would fully investigate the attempted theft and let me know the results. The name of the bar person was on then receipts in question and he was the only member of staff working then bar on the 2 nights in question, yes it was not a one off attempted theft, I am still awaiting news from the manager, but I am not holding my breath.
In short, this is a lovely hotel BUT beware when ordering drinks, either pay cash or take a careful note of what you have had, I do not believe this to be a one off con.

Room Tip: At front to enjoy the view of the lake and distant fells
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BillQ_12
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
I replied to your e mail twice, firstly on 30th January and then again on 1st February when you stated that you hadn't received the first mail.

I totally refute your assertion that any member of my team would act in such a way, indeed I have reason to believe that such a claim laid out in this forum may be libelous.

It's such a shame that, when we met you accepted that I would investigate and come back to you with my findings which I have done twice, that you then go and place such a clearly malicious review on here.

Maybe you just wanted your “15 minutes of fame”?

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,213 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!