“The Good, the bad and the worrying!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
York
“The Good, the bad and the worrying!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

My husband and myself stayed at the Lodore in October for a two night stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. We rarely take breaks so this was going to be special so paying more than other hotels in the area were charging was not an issue.
The hotel is beautiful and the guest areas really are comfortable and welcoming, We could not afford a lake view so settled for a standard room which I have to say for the money we paid was very disappointing, The room was very small, no view and really quite dated and in need of refurbishment. I understand that we could have upgraded but really feel that a standard room should still be value for money. Check in was smooth and efficient although quite robot like, the receptionist did seem quite bored with what she was doing and again I appreciate she must have to ask the same questions over and over again. The bar was very busy and drinks expensive and the bar staff really not very friendly, no time to chat I think was the problem. The restaurant is lovely, the food was average but nothing spectacular.
Overall the staff were nice but not too friendly and I got the feeling not very happy in their jobs or indeed do not have time to bother with the customer. I have read other reviews since staying which urged me to write this one. I feel the Lodore is a lovely hotel but not worth the money you pay. Other hotels in the area are cheaper and I am sure much friendlier. I have also read the managers response to negative comments hence my title being the good, the bad and the worrying! Had I read his responses prior to staying I would not have stayed. Constructive criticism is what it is and yes the guests are not always right but sometimes they are. Perhaps more customer service training from the top down to the bottom is required,

Room Tip: If you can afford a lake view book one
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank yvettetait
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you for this rather unusually titled review!

I can certainly see some good, but little bad and as for worrying...well that's got me totally stumped I'm afraid.

Stephen Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

I've just returned from my second 3 day break this year at the Lodore Hotel. We stayed on a B&B basis with our teenage daughter. As usual the staff were polite and attentive and our room on the third floor was warm and comfortable with an excellent bed. Breakfast was excellent with a good range of options to cover most tastes.

The hotel is very traditional in terms of decor and service and has not changed appreciably in the fifteen years since I first stayed here. If this is what you are looking for then the hotel should appeal. It is not a modern boutique hotel with cutting edge design or food.

We did not have an evening meal at the hotel as we preferred to try various restaurants around Keswick. You are best going for a DB&B package if you do decide to eat at the hotel as this makes it more affordable.

We always find our stays at the Lodore Hotel relaxing and I'd recommend it to others looking for a well located, good quality hotel in the lakes.

Room Tip: I'd recommednd the garden room 311 on the third floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site, I am delighted to read that you, once again, enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your comments to all concerned.

Thank you once more for your kind words and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Lake District in the future.

Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

It is several years since we went to the Lodore but having read some recent reviews we decided to return at half term. Staying in a lake view room was fantastic with views across Derwent Water which are breathtaking. The room itself was tastefully decorated with all mod cons,flat screen TV,hairdrier, tea and coffee. Lovely bathroom with soft towels and complimentary shampoo and body wash.

We stayed on a breakfast and evening meal basis. This was well worth it as the service was top notch and the food absolutely delicious. I would have to say every member of staff was well trained in excellent customer service.

The other rooms around the hotel were cosy,relaxing and inviting.

Not the cheapest of hotels but definitely super value for money. We look forward to returning well before the 'several years' that we have waited.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the staircase. If your budget allows go for a lakeside view-it is br...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunseekersBMR
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of our most special Lodore Falls Hotel, it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and that you intend to come back again in the near future.

Many thanks, once again for your kind words.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

A mini break two nights in the lodore falls very good value. Food excellent facilities very good friendly staff. Good location especially for walkers. Easy access to derwent water boat taxis. Plenty of parking but visibility onto road needs care.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our wonderful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and have passed on your kind words to all concerned.

Many thanks, once again and I do very much look forward to looking after you again in our most special corner of the Lake District in the not too distant future.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

We really enjoyed our two night dinner, bed & breakfast stay at this hotel which we booked via a Travelzoo deal.

When we arrived, there was a busy wedding based in the function room and I feared the worst in terms of potential impact on customer services. I need not have worried as we were soon checked in to our first floor room and back downstairs enjoying our complimentary hot chocolate & crumpets - and the magnificent view - in the lounge bar.

Our well presented bedroom was an adequate size, with two armchairs, a flat screen TV and plenty of wardrobe & draw space. The bed was large and very comfortable, the bathroom recently renovated with the shower above the bath. There were tea and coffee making facilities which were regularly replenished, but no fridge or safe. Our room was at the back of the hotel and was quiet, other than the occasional heavy footed fellow guest passing by. Rooms at the front of the hotel have views of the lake.

We were most courteously dealt with by all the staff – at reception, in the bar and in the restaurant - the majority of whom appeared to originally be from Eastern Europe. They were all very attentive and never did we have to struggle to attract anyone’s attention or be understood.
The food was very good, with a good variety of choices being available both at dinner and breakfast.

We made the five minute walk to the landing stage on the lake to catch the launch across to the other side and walked around the shore back to the hotel. The Hotel supplied launch tickets at a discounted price. We didn’t make use of the pool, gym or spa so cannot make comment.

The hotel is situated on its own about five miles south of Keswick and the dark , wet evenings did not encourage us to have a walk outside at night. I believe there is about one bus an hour in either direction from outside the hotel during the day, and traffic seemed very light on the road outside the hotel in the evening. I struggled to get a mobile phone signal in the hotel itself, but just outside it was possible.

Would we return? Yes - especially if we could secure another deal similar to this one.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your wonderful review of our very special Lodore Falls hotel.

It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed you stay with us last month with all aspects of the the visit being well received, I am especially pleased to read that the team here looked after you well as I do believe that I am blessed with an amazing group of enthusiastic and professional people who do get a genuine buzz out of doing their job well.

Thank you once again for you kind words and I do look forward to having the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

We had a two night break at the Lodore Falls .After reading reviews here I booked a Lake view room, feeling it would be worth the extra expense. On our arrival, we were upgraded to the Catbells Suite (room 301). It was wonderful! A lovely large bedroom, good sized bathroom and a spacious lounge. Both rooms had large windows with spectacular views of the lake and fells. The bed was large and comfortable with feather pillows and everything was spotlessly clean.
We had breakfast and dinner on both days and the food was exceptional. Breakfast was plentiful with a huge variety and top quality. Dinner was superb- beautifully cooked and again top quality. Service was prompt but not rushed.
The staff were all excellent from the young lad who heaved our luggage up 3 floors (the lift was occupied) to the impeccably polite , efficient yet friendly waiting staff. Previous comments mentioned that most of the staff are eastern european. That may be so, but their training has been excellent and they were by far the best hotel staff we have come across. Reception staff were also very friendly and efficient.. We enjoyed using the indoor pool and had a fab time in the hot-tub. Being half-term the hotel was full. Earlier comments moaned that all the visitors were elderly. While we were there, there was a mixture of all ages from families with young children, young couples, middle aged couples like us and yes some elderly folk. The lounges were large, warm and comfortable. We particularly enjoyed taking coffee in the lounge after dinner
We very much enjoyed taking the launch from the jetty up to Keswick and walking up to the waterfalls behind the hotel. There is lots to see and do in the area as well as walking of course.
We would thoroughly recommend the hotel and would love to visit again in the not too distant future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of this most special hotel, I am delighted to read that you had such a great time with us. It is especially gratifying to read how well the team here looked after you and I also think that they are the best team I've ever come across as well.

Thank you once again for your kind words and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to our fantastic hotel again in the future.

Louth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I booked this particular hotel, as I wanted to take my wife away somewhere special for her birthday as a suprise. As we had got married at the same hotel a few years ago, I thought it would be perfect for her. I booked a 4 night stay with dinner. The setting could not get any better, what a view across Derwentwater to see Catbells and further away Skiddaw. The staff at this hotel are terrific and they talk to you, and were always pleasant, we did not have to keep prompting them on our room number when ordering drinks, as they remembered. The decor all through the hotel is 1st class, and in my humble opinion a classy place to stay. The food was superb, the choice was limited to four main courses but at least you know it is going to be good quality, and it sure was, I left half a stone heavier because of the breakfast alone! My wife had a two hour massage and facial, which was excellent. The leisure area was very clean warm and very enjoyable. Our room was very tastefully furnished, with a very comfy bed, and was just how a hotel room should be. Considering that the hotel was very busy, we never felt rushed, or had to wait for anything. This hotel is well worth visiting and we will certainly be staying again in the future.

1 Thank Peter B
Many, many thanks for your wonderful review of our fantastic Lodore Falls Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great time with us, I really do have an amazing team here and am so proud of them all when reading your words.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience on this site, we do very much look forward to welcoming you back to this most special corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,210 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!