“Great Location, But”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Yorkshire
“Great Location, But”
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This hotel is very well situated. It has been grand in the past but I was surprised that the bedrooms had not kept pace with upgrades to the public areas. For the Lake District it was very good but did not compare favorably with four star hotels in the city. I was disappointing with my evening meal but breakfast was excellent. In summary old world hotel that is not quite keeping up with modern times. We would stay again in the summer taking a lake view room and probably eating elsewhere in the evening.

Room Tip: 'Fell View' rooms seem to me to have a fairly limited view - close to trees so not a wide vi...
1 Thank Gunnerside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Chester

Stayed 17th+18th Nov.
On arrival at 14:30 found a wedding party about to start, was not informed of this when booking but I am glad to say this did not impact on our stay.
The good
Saturday night meal 10 out of 10, Sunday 9 out of 10
The bad
anyone visiting the waterfall behind the hotel can have a conversation with the guests in the hot tub.
The worrying, for me
the lack of local people employed in the hotel and the price of drinks in the bar ( looked like 50% more the The Skiddaw for a glass of wine )

All in all the hotel exceeded our expectations and we found the staff very friendly and helpful, will be back.

2 Thank Keith E
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Thank you for reviewing our wonderful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site and in such a style that it brought a smile to our faces.

The Good: It's fantastic to read that you enjoyed the food served in our Lake View Restaurant and I believe your experience to be far more in keeping with our normal standards than that expressed by the previous reviewer.

The Bad: Why not have a conversation with the guests in the hot tub?

The Worrying: I am extremely proud of each and every one of the team here at Lodore, whether they come from Keswick or further afield. A 175ml glass of house wine at Lodore is £4.65 whilst the same product at our sister hote, The Skiddaw, is £3.95.

I enjoyed reading your review, I enjoyed replying to your review and I will most certainly enjoy welcoming you back to Lodore again in the future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Going to try and be brief. Could only get away for one night for wedding anniversary on a DBB offer for 2. Lovely touch we were upgraded to a corner 3rd floor room with beautiful autumnal lake/fell views and a card and box of chocs! Fantastic location, just wish had more time to walk.
Had booked afternoon tea, but rather late arriving, so maybe it took the edge off dinner, but we were not over impressed with either in truth. It was OK. I had melon and proscuitto - melon been kept too cold and meat hard and dry, hubbie liked his cray fish starter. Next up pan fried calves liver, I always go for this as so rarely see it nowadays , was asked if served pink was alright for me ? well this time it wasn't. Liver cut to different thicknesses so cooked differently, a subsequent leather crust on outside and over cooked or gooey inside, hubbies salmon came in a lurid orange coloured sauce and again rated just ok. Played safe with desserts, had cheese. There was a little jus on my liver and I was asked if I would like extra, said yes, to have a small jug tipped over everything, some sort of homogenous gloop, just tasted awful. Dining room was busy, noticed several ate as little as us, and others ate the lot, so there you have it! You can't please all the people etc etc.
Enjoyed leisure facilities, room, lovely furnishings, comfy bed, nice ambience, all trimmed up for Christmas, and plenty of sofas and fires to enjoy. Tiny lift, goes with the place really, so be healthy or be prepared to wait for it! Hair dryer didn't work in room, dropped it off on way out, and asked for a replacement for next morning, never happened and no one seemed fussed - can't say I was terribly bothered as was going home. Yes would go again, but maybe just have a steak or eat out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site.

We are always delighted when guests choose to share their important dates with us and will always try and go the extra mile by providing an upgrade, if available, and making gestures such as card and chocolates. We do genuinely believe that these are the touches our guests deserve and as a caring family company, we are only too pleased to oblige.

I am sorry to read that our food did not met with you expectations, but must comment that generally we do get extremely favorable comments regarding the fayre served in the Lake View Restaurant.

Thank you, once again, for your kind comments and I hope that you will give us the opportunity of looking after you again when you next visit this most special corner of the Lake District.

Sunderland, England
Reviewed 19 November 2012

All service we experienced here was high-calibre and fulfilled with precision - many of the staff come from a variety of other countries but all adopt a common approach to providing friendly and efficient service. The food was cooked to perfection at all times, even when the restaurant was very busy - and the variety and quality of dishes is second to none. We had a beautiful view from our room of the river and landscaped gardens - frequented by many feathered friends who were also being well looked after by their generous hosts who provide nibbles for them. Already heavily decked for Christmas, the hotel is well-prepared for the festive season - complete with Chrimbo ale! Walkers are well provided for due to the great location, the hotel overlooks Derwentwater - a circular lakeside walk is roughly nine miles, or you could walk into Keswick and catch the local bus back to the front door of the hotel!

Room Tip: Get a park view room to enjoy overlooking the landscaped gardens
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review of our gorgeous Lodore Falls Hotel on this site.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your kind comments to all concerned.

Thank you once again and I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Stirling
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We decided to take a five day break closer to home, after a hectic Summer. When you book these things you read and digest the previous comments, taking both extremes with a pinch of salt. We had a fantastic two room suite overlooking Derwentwater, views to die for.
The room was great well maintained and clean, and the standard did not dip for the four days of our stay , even though we had 4 yes 4 dogs with us, who were made welcome and not something they claim to do they really are dog friendly. The service in all areas was first class from the bar to room service. On a final note I am more than capable of moaning, so the only comment is why do Eastern Europeans beat us locals for customer service by miles. Thanks to you all

Room Tip: Overlooking the water
2 Thank Gilly1962Stirling
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Many thanks for your wonderful review of our marvelous Lodore Falls Hotel.

I am so please to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind words to all concerned.

Thank you once again and I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to this fantastic corner of the Lake District again in the future.

General Manger
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights as climbing in Lake District. Excellent food and very friendly staff who really were kindness itself. Hotel was undergoing some renovation/upgrade work which was finished very quickly and quietly and so we got to enjoy it. Stayed in a two room suite/bedroom overlooking Derwentwater which was very atmospheric and despite the fact that the people above us appeared to be practising for a clog dancing competition, the rooms were good. I have only one gripe and that was the grout surrounding bath/shower was black which I hadn't expected from a hotel with these prices but it may be that it was on the 'to do' list of renovations. The spa is fantastic and the grounds are lovely - weather was hideous when I was therefore but even so, it was a stunning venue with a great deal to be pleased about. Should also mention the food which was absolutely fantastic and the wine list was very comprehensive so worth looking in for a meal even if you're not staying the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front so that you can wake up to the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your kind comments to all concerned. I have inspected the bathroom of your suite and have insured that the issue you mention has been rectified.

Thank you once again and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to this most special corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here for one night for my partner's birthday. It was excellent, the staff were so helpful and professional. Our room had a Lake View so the views were gorgeous. I have no complaints whatsoever. Location fab, staff fab, hotel fab, food fab !!! I would definately recommend this hotel and wish were could have stayed another night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to place your wonderful review on this site.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially pleased to read your comments regarding the fantastic team we have working here.

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,262 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!