“Only ate here”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
United Kingdom
“Only ate here”
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch, salmon and prawn open sandwich, burger and some great beers. lovely hotel, great setting. Could have done with turning the heating up a degree or two but Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lakespete
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Lakespete

Many thanks for taking the time to review us on this site.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your lunch with us recently and do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Stephen Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Wigton, England
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I've nothing but praise for this place. Food is gorgeous, service is fantastic & the scenery is out of this world.
We attended a wedding here in summer and I've got to say it has to be the best wedding venue around. Beautiful gazebo wedding followed by pimms & canapés on the lawn. The wedding room is both spacious & cozy. Couldn't fault a thing.
A must for everyone to see.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Keckles23
Dear Keckles23

Thank you so much for these wonderful words following your visit to our beautiful Lodore Falls earlier this year.

You're right the Lodore is the most perfect venue for a wedding and I'm so pleased that you had such a great time with us.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and i first visited this hotel back in 2006 when we got married here. We have returned virtually every year since and we still love the place. Don't get me wrong. Its not perfect, but its not far off.

I have read reviews on this hotel over the years and possibly 9 out of 10 are excellent, or very good. My advice would be to make your decision based on that. Chances are, you will have an experience similar to the 9.

There is no doubt from reading the reviews that occasionally the hotels high standards have not been met. But you know what, we are all human. We all make mistakes, we all go to work sometimes feeling unwell or with something on our mind. It doesn't matter how good you are at something, sometimes your not quite on it. (Look at Manchester United!).

Anyway, i digress a little. My point is, look at a review of any hotel, anywhere in the world and there will be some bad ones. Please don't be put off this hotel by the odd bad experience. You will be missing out on a stunning hotel in arguably the best location anywhere with very nice food and, in general, excellent friendly and professional staff.

I admit, on the odd occasion, the odd member of staff has not quite been as friendly as they could have been, but maybe two or three times out of about seven visits. That's ok. As i said before, they are human.

Anyway, this year, my wife booked the family into the Lodore House next to the hotel. Quite expensive but thoroughly enjoyable. To be fair, the house could now do with some slight modification and certain things are ready for replacing but what a cosy little gem of a cottage.

Loved the views from the lounge and dining area, (who wouldn't), Loved the log burning fire. Spacious master bedroom with en suite. However, a pet hate of mine, please please please sort the showers out! Lovely and hot but the water pressure was little more than a trickle!

The kitchen and utility areas nice and spacious, kitchen could do with an update. On the whole, really enjoyed it, and the kids loved it.

Took advantage of the pool and hot tub. Brilliant sitting in the outdoor hot tub whilst it's hail stoning! Ate at the restaurant on Saturday night. Service was good but not perfect however, there was ten of us so i can live with that. Food was excellent although a slightly larger main portion would have been better. The beef was gorgeous but just throw a few more veggies in, they cost peanuts!!

Love sitting in the bar area or by the fire. Never gets boring.

As ever, as soon as i get home, i start looking at deals as i want to go back! We would return more often if i could afford it! Hate to think how much we have spent here including our wedding seven years ago! (Which was excellent by the way and worth every penny).

Don't be put off. Book a lake view room and get gone. The odds are, you will love it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirk J
Dear Kirk J

Many thanks for reviewing Lodore House and Lodore Falls on this site.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently, I have taken on board your comments regarding the maintenance issue at the house and will make sure that these are dealt with straight away.

Thank you once again for your kind words and all here look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully next year.

Hartlepool
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I will say for able bodied people this hotel is very good and would be rated 5.
I attended for a wedding and stayed two nights. the walk in shower had a 7 inch step and was so small it was unsuitable to fit a stool in, if one had been provided. No Shower for me... the room was very small and was difficult for me to move round with 2 walking sticks. And if I had to use my wheel chair it would have been impossible.
This hotel does not claim to be fully accessible, but when you ask for a walk in shower you don't expect to have a big step. I spoke to the manager who was not very pleasant and explained that a walk in shower is what it says, not a step up to the shower. He said "we classify that as a walk in shower" and no amount of explanation would change his description. All I wanted was for correct wording to be used when disabled people asked if they had a walk in shower.
The lift said for 4 people but was very small and difficult to use even with a small wheelchair.
So please if you want to stay in the Lodore Falls hotel think of the way wording is and clarify your needs. Otherwise it is a very good Hotel with helpful staff and a good quality of cleanliness.

Room Tip: No recommended room for disabled or infirm. Back rooms are over flat roofs,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank candie17
Dear candie 17

Many thanks for your review.

I am delighted to read that you rate the hotel, food and service as a 5, but do regret that a misunderstanding on phrasing left you disappointed with the shower facilities in your room. There is a small step before the walk-in shower, a point which now will be mentioned to clients wishing to book this room.

Thank you once again for your review.

Ripon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here on the nights of 31/10 and 1/11 with my husband, four boys and our dog, and had the most amazing time. As almost everyone notes the hotel's location is heavenly, but more importantly the hotel itself is wonderfully welcoming and relaxed.

The staff were truly impressive, always very caring and attentive. From the porter who rushed to help my 9 yo pull off his walking boots when my husband and myself had our hands full, to the young man who grinned and helped out when our sometimes boisterous labradoodle briefly escaped from our room to bounce up and down the stairs, to the waitress who sought me out to return the spare camera battery that had fallen out of my camera bag. The manager has my greatest respect in being able to recruit, train and retain such high calibre staff.

We dined in the hotel both evenings and enjoyed delicious meals, served efficiently and reasonably priced.

We loved the walk from the back of the hotel, up past the falls and beyond. The boys adored the pool. Most of all, our naughty labradoodle had the holiday of her life, arriving to a cosy dog bed and dog bowls, and allowed to snooze in the lounge in front of a roaring fire after a long day of heavenly walks.

We'll definitely be returning!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline T
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Caroline T

What a wonderful review of our beautiful Lodore.

Thank you so much for your kind words, all the staff and I are absolutely thrilled by your kind words and very much look forward to welcoming back in the not too distant future.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here after celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary oct 29 th and 30th. The hotel was a beautiful building by the lake side with the falls located behind, log fires were burning in the fire places and it was very plush. Our cream tea on arrival was delicious as was the selection of wines! Our room was a standard room but still comfortable and spotless clean big towels and dressing gowns and slippers supplied. We booked our table on check in and found the service and food exemplary. Will go back to the lakes again but might go a little closer to village as I missed my shopping!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear traceybithell

Many thanks for your lovely review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights last week whilst travelling around different parts of the lakes. The hotel is set in a superb location, with the most stunning views. Very good facilities, pool, outdoor hot tub and massage facilities were all sampled, and all we're very good.

The hotel itself was clean, a little dated in places in terms of decor but otherwise pleasant.

My main issue however with this hotel was unfortunately the staff which unfortunately have left me with a very poor opinion of this hotel as a whole.

There was a wait when first booking in, whilst waiting staff booked in an elderly couple and a family in front of us. The staff, a male and a female we're very accommodating and polite to them, offering wake up calls, newspapers, meal reservations etc.
We as a younger couple we're not offered any of this, I'm not sure if it was due to our age or that we were wearing walking attire, but staff were short and did not show the same level of customer to us which we both felt was poor. Only when the receptionist realised we had booked the 'Tower Suite' (The large suite with a reasonable price tag per night!) that his attitude changed considerably and he then seemed to contact a porter to carry our bags to the room.

Had it just been the one occasion I wouldn't have felt the need to comment about it all on here, however the same negative attitude towards us continued from the staff the following two mornings at breakfast. Staff serving breakfast were again short and rude at times, even pushing past people stood in the queue waiting for breakfast. It seemed that if you didn't book a restaurant reservation for the evening staff just didn't seem to make the same effort to provide a high level of customer service.

Breakfast on the final morning was even worse, the breakfast room wasn't particularly busy, many tables were set, yet staff escorted us to a table in the very far corner of the restaurant away from everyone else and nowhere near the lovely views of the lake at the front of the hotel.

Overall, good hotel, good facilities, just left with a bitter after taste thanks to staff at the hotel. Would not recommend for younger couples.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank ben2891
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear ben2891

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the location and facilities of our beautiful Lodore Falls hotel, you're right the hotel is set in the most stunning part of the Lake District and is a must visit for those exploring this wonderful part of the world.

I am shocked to read your thoughts on the quality of our staff as we always get such high score on here, and other review sites. We always try to provide the warmest of welcomes in all departments at all times, so I very much regret that you left the hotel with anything other glowing praise for all aspects of the hotel and certainly hope you will visit us again, when you next come to the Lakes.

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!