“lodore hotel lodge (not to be missed)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
“lodore hotel lodge (not to be missed)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a fanastic part of the world, the views are incredible.The lodge was 1st class.A very large living space and 4 very large bedrooms. The hotel had provided a more than adequate amount of food on arrival. I must not foget the hotel staff who were very polite & helpful nothing was a trouble for them. I could go on for ever about this venue but you must try it yourself I'm sure you will agree with everything I've said

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I went to the Lodore Falls hotel for Christmas Lunch with my family (8 people in total) and unfortunately I felt let down on such a special day. This was not a great experience for the following reasons,

1. When we were given the menus, the waiter said, ‘I’ll be back in five minutes to take your order’. I thought this was unprofessional because as the customer I like to be in charge instead of being rushed into a decision but as other people on the table were ready to order he then proceeded to take the order. He should have waited until we summoned him back to the table.
2. When it came to collecting the plates the staff did not wait until everyone was finished. As a slow eater I thought this was short sighted, bordering on being rude. It seemed as though we were again obeying their schedule rather than our own. This was a very poor and amateur attempt at a good service.
3. The food, on the whole, was of very good quality. I did enjoy the meal there but unfortunately one main course had to be sent back as she could not cut the meat on her plate. This was, quite rightly, replaced promptly & the second attempt at her dish was of the standard that we were expecting.

I am very disappointed that I have had to make this complaint and am surprised that the service was that poor on Christmas Day as eating out in the Lake District is normally an absolute pleasure regardless of the day. An example of this was when 10 of us went to a crowded pub for lunch the following day where, unlike the Lodore Falls hotel, the service was efficient and friendly and the food was fantastic. The staff at Lodore Falls should be ashamed as the contrast between the two front of house teams was vast.

For the price that we paid, which was what I would expect for lunch on Christmas Day I felt cheated when I found out about the, quite frankly, amateurish front of house staff.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank James T
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear JamesT

You were kind enough to send me this review by e mail at the same time as posting it on this site, I am pleased to attach my reply as sent to your e mail:

Dear Mr ......

Thank you for your e mail.

I am struggling to find a reservation in your name for Christmas Day and therefore it is a little difficult for me to know which party you were with, that said we received nothing but praise from absolutely everyone who attended lunch for both the quality of food and service.

I myself worked on the event and felt that the whole day was a great success, so I am very surprised by your comments and do wonder why no mention of this was made at the time as any issues can always be resolved to our customers satisfaction much more successfully this way, rather than by e mail almost 1 week later.

Far from being ashamed, I am extremely proud of each and every one of the team here and will reiterate that in my right to reply on the web site you mention.

Kind regards & happy new year

Stephen
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stopped at the beautiful hotel for 2nights on dbb I got a good rate through work. I phoned up to see if I could upgrade to a fell side room. The reception manager Alex did me an excellent discounted rate on a lake view room and also promised to give me one of the best rooms with a view as asked. On arrival the staff was so welcoming. My room truly was beautiful, one of the newly decorated room with a front and side view which was amazing. The breakfast was cooked to order and the best breakfast we have had. The dinner was also very good. Outdoor hot tub is amazing but you must ensure you book before you arrive to ensure you get a slot. We will definitely be returning as long as we get to stay in the same room. Thank you ladore falls and Alex for making a our stay extra special.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our first Christmas away, we chose the Ladore Falls Hotel after visiting its restaurant in the summer and it is close to our favourite Cumbrian town, Keswick.
The hotel has a wonderfully unique balance of offering a 4 star service, an award winning restaurant and yet making you feel as relaxed as you would be curled up in front of the fire in your own home. In fact, on Christmas morning, my husband and children ventured downstairs in our PJs to open our pressies in front of one of the fires in the sumptuous, comfortable lounge areas.
If you are looking for a classy traditionally furnished hotel, with professional service second to none and an outstanding dining experience then look further...and that's not to mention the beautiful position on the shores of Derwent Water, the outside hot tub at the foot of the Ladore Falls itself, the spa etc etc. Another good thing was the proper mattresses for the children, who normally have to endure bed settees or flimsy 'put-you-ups', even in 5 star hotels we have stayed in.
Our break was not cheap but the whole experience was complete value for money and more.

JARROW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Fabulous, Amazing, Excellent just not enough words to describe our 4 days over Xmas. Room had amazing view, food was out of this world. Staff were so on the ball attended to every need checking all the time you had everything you wanted and were happy with food or coffee etc. This hotel has to be one of the very best for service, food and customer care. Thanks to everyone for all your hard work.

Room Tip: Give it a try you will be amazed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Three days full of Christmas Magic so lovely we've booked for next year xx

Arrived on Christmas eve had a Christmas meal in dining room complete with locals singing Christmas Carroll's. We retired to the Gazebo for mulled wine and marshmallows.

Christmas Day lunch was magical with guests entering into the spirit of things by firing screaming balloons within the restaurant.

Hotel Boxing Day walk up to the top what a hike but what a view complete with mulled wine mince pies and Christmas cheer.

The Boxing Day buffet what an amazing finale to our 3 day stay.

To say the hotel pushed the boat out was an understatement everything was polished to perfection so clean you could eat your dinner off the bathroom floor.

The staff were genuine and worked tirelessly throughout a credit to them.

We always love our stays at the hotel but this surpassed all previous visits.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We had our Christmas Lunch at the Ladore and it was very good. All the staff were very pleasant and the food was very good. There was a great atmospher in the dinning room. We would like to thank you all for a great day

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,214 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!