“Fairy tale times!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Fairy tale times!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed, 2 adults , 2 boys 10 and 12, over New year with the staff at The Lodore Falls. Note I say "stayed with" not "at the hotel" because that is exactly what it felt like. This is not a large corporate hotel but a very informal, friendly place with a very happy, attentive family feel. However basic it is not. A true luxury hotel in every sense with fantastic food and helpful and competent staff. We stayed in the brandlehow suite and found it of a very high standard and comfort with stunning views. The whole package was not cheap but value for money as we and our children were looked after and entertained throughout our stay. If you measure value by how much one enjoyed a stay and achieved one's goal of being relaxed, rejuvenated and happy then I think we had a bit of a bargain. The hotel looked gorgeous and stereotypically Christmassy and the buffet was a masterpiece on New Years Day as were the incredible food sculptures. We've booked straight away again for this year and are looking for an excuse to visit before New Year if we can. I've read some of the negative reports and cannot believe some of them. It is true a bus runs occasionally past the hotel. How brilliant so that one can take it up and down borrowdale; that most beautiful of English valleys. The lake is a 2 minute walk away, the scenery unparalleled, the waterfall stunning, the river delightful, the flora and fauna beautiful, (red squirrels in the garden). Keswick is a ten minute drive or a 45 minute walk. Where else could one be better served in the world. Oh and for all those negative souls...the weather wasn't great but unlike some I will not lay that at the hotel's door and complain. Remember even the weather is beautiful just wear the right clothing. I Canot recommend The Lodore Falls team and experience highly enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Last time I reviewed I gave it a harsh 4, this time it is a generous 4.
Its still very good but.....
There are two areas to sit with a drink the bar (no dogs) or the fireplace lounge type area. Stay when theres a wedding party on and you will find all the seats not in the bar area reserved for the wedding, this means that if youve got a dog this dog friendly hotel has nowhere for you to sit with a dog and enjoy a drink.
The service in the restaurant is inversely proportional to the amount of guests. The more guests the worse the service. The staff are in the vast majority excellent and do their best but the amount dont seem to flex up. Quiet morning, "would you like anything with your waffle" "ok I'll bring that right over", next busier morning "would you like anything with your waffle", "you'll find it right over there on the trolley"!!!
Food, it is very good but previous years have seen a complete menu change every evening. They now have a winter menu that stays the same with a choice of specials that changes from night to night. A sign of cost cutting?

1 Thank Rudy266
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year due to attending weddings. On both occasions we stayed in the family rooms. Which reminded me of a 1960s butlins chalet. The hotel is tired and over priced. Some of the staff are unhelpful others just plain rude ( I include the manager in the latter).

All in all over priced tired and would never consider staying again.

No doubt the rude manager will make some smart comment as he has on other comments where guests dared to tell the truth.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel plenty of fantastic ones in the lakes and this is not one of them.
7 Thank Julie R
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Julie R

I am not sure of the motivation for your, clearly malicious, review. It is so obviously in such stark contrast to the vast majority of reviews on this site, that I find it very hard to believe your words to be anything other than a malevolent attempt to discredit this fine and well regarded hotel.

I will be pleased to discuss any issues which may have lead to you placing this piece and can be contacted on 017687 77285 or Stephen@lodorefallshotel.co.uk

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a fanastic part of the world, the views are incredible.The lodge was 1st class.A very large living space and 4 very large bedrooms. The hotel had provided a more than adequate amount of food on arrival. I must not foget the hotel staff who were very polite & helpful nothing was a trouble for them. I could go on for ever about this venue but you must try it yourself I'm sure you will agree with everything I've said

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I went to the Lodore Falls hotel for Christmas Lunch with my family (8 people in total) and unfortunately I felt let down on such a special day. This was not a great experience for the following reasons,

1. When we were given the menus, the waiter said, ‘I’ll be back in five minutes to take your order’. I thought this was unprofessional because as the customer I like to be in charge instead of being rushed into a decision but as other people on the table were ready to order he then proceeded to take the order. He should have waited until we summoned him back to the table.
2. When it came to collecting the plates the staff did not wait until everyone was finished. As a slow eater I thought this was short sighted, bordering on being rude. It seemed as though we were again obeying their schedule rather than our own. This was a very poor and amateur attempt at a good service.
3. The food, on the whole, was of very good quality. I did enjoy the meal there but unfortunately one main course had to be sent back as she could not cut the meat on her plate. This was, quite rightly, replaced promptly & the second attempt at her dish was of the standard that we were expecting.

I am very disappointed that I have had to make this complaint and am surprised that the service was that poor on Christmas Day as eating out in the Lake District is normally an absolute pleasure regardless of the day. An example of this was when 10 of us went to a crowded pub for lunch the following day where, unlike the Lodore Falls hotel, the service was efficient and friendly and the food was fantastic. The staff at Lodore Falls should be ashamed as the contrast between the two front of house teams was vast.

For the price that we paid, which was what I would expect for lunch on Christmas Day I felt cheated when I found out about the, quite frankly, amateurish front of house staff.

3 Thank James T
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear JamesT

You were kind enough to send me this review by e mail at the same time as posting it on this site, I am pleased to attach my reply as sent to your e mail:

Dear Mr ......

Thank you for your e mail.

I am struggling to find a reservation in your name for Christmas Day and therefore it is a little difficult for me to know which party you were with, that said we received nothing but praise from absolutely everyone who attended lunch for both the quality of food and service.

I myself worked on the event and felt that the whole day was a great success, so I am very surprised by your comments and do wonder why no mention of this was made at the time as any issues can always be resolved to our customers satisfaction much more successfully this way, rather than by e mail almost 1 week later.

Far from being ashamed, I am extremely proud of each and every one of the team here and will reiterate that in my right to reply on the web site you mention.

Kind regards & happy new year

Stephen
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stopped at the beautiful hotel for 2nights on dbb I got a good rate through work. I phoned up to see if I could upgrade to a fell side room. The reception manager Alex did me an excellent discounted rate on a lake view room and also promised to give me one of the best rooms with a view as asked. On arrival the staff was so welcoming. My room truly was beautiful, one of the newly decorated room with a front and side view which was amazing. The breakfast was cooked to order and the best breakfast we have had. The dinner was also very good. Outdoor hot tub is amazing but you must ensure you book before you arrive to ensure you get a slot. We will definitely be returning as long as we get to stay in the same room. Thank you ladore falls and Alex for making a our stay extra special.

• Stayed November 2013
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our first Christmas away, we chose the Ladore Falls Hotel after visiting its restaurant in the summer and it is close to our favourite Cumbrian town, Keswick.
The hotel has a wonderfully unique balance of offering a 4 star service, an award winning restaurant and yet making you feel as relaxed as you would be curled up in front of the fire in your own home. In fact, on Christmas morning, my husband and children ventured downstairs in our PJs to open our pressies in front of one of the fires in the sumptuous, comfortable lounge areas.
If you are looking for a classy traditionally furnished hotel, with professional service second to none and an outstanding dining experience then look further...and that's not to mention the beautiful position on the shores of Derwent Water, the outside hot tub at the foot of the Ladore Falls itself, the spa etc etc. Another good thing was the proper mattresses for the children, who normally have to endure bed settees or flimsy 'put-you-ups', even in 5 star hotels we have stayed in.
Our break was not cheap but the whole experience was complete value for money and more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!