“Normally fine but v v poor last week”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

We have visited the lodore many times and until last year the service used to match the lovely location and decor. But last week was a dreadful experience, as the hotel had a conference full of sales people.

They were allowed to use all the lounges to work in and the hotel - which sells itself as being peaceful and restful - had people smoking outside the doors, being very noisy and taking over any space. When I politely explained this to the bar manager she was far from helpful and shrugged her shoulders.

From my perspective we were mis sold a peaceful image, and many others staying said the same. They seem to be more interested in conferences and weddings than day to day guests, and its really starting to show, which is a shame.

Rather than dismissing the feedback on here (which seems to happen if you read the management responses) they should try and learn as it was once a great place. Please try, lodore.

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank mic4567
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Mic4567

I think that this is a very unfair review as you don't mention anything about what a nice room you stayed in, what delicious food was offered in our restaurant and how good the service was around the various departments of the hotel.

Yes we did have a conference in the hotel during the first week of January and yes we did have a wedding reception on the Saturday of that week, but to say that we "mis sold" your stay to you is, quite frankly, outrageous.

Far from "dismissing" your feedback I am using my right to reply and, quite rightly and fairly, pointing out to other valued tripadvisor contributors what a fine establishment the Lodore continues to be, as is clearly evident from the vast majority of reviews on this site.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We spent three nights at the Lodore Falls Hotel and from the moment we arrived we were impressed.

The staff were courteous, friendly, helpful and attentive - at one point I reported a possible water leak in our en suite to the gentleman(manager?) on reception. Not only did he make an immediate note of it but it was obviously dealt with promptly. So different to some "hotels" I have patronised.

The meals were splendidly presented and tasted as good as they looked. They were also quite filling. The lounges were comfortable and the well stocked bar was a pleasure, providing me with my after dinner brandy.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Lodore Falls Hotel to anyone. The Graves family and the hotel management and staff can be rightly proud.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fernhill54
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I stayed 16th - 18th December and it was fantastic. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly helpful staff and the winter Pimms and crumpets went down a treat. Our room was a Fell View room and was fabulous, we even had a lake view from the large balcony. I can only imagine what it will be like during the warmer weather. The food was delicious with a great choice at breakfast and Dinner. The treatments at the Elemis spa are a must, perfect to unwind and get away from it all. We had a wonderful time and the christmas trees and warm log fires added to the charm. We will most definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shell34
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We had our wedding here on the 19th dec and what a fabulous day it was. The venue is lovely for a winter wedding with the christmas decorations of christmas tree after Christmas tree, and the homely log fires. Everyone commented to us how great the wedding was as the staff were all so friendly and polite, the food was superb and the general atmosphere. I had my wedding hair done by the newly appointed hairdresser at the lodore chrissey who was lovely and she done a great job of mine and my bridesmides hair. We had the wedding package which included evening disco...and what a disco it was...he was brill, he played all the songs we wanted and peoples requests on the night, he got a feel of what music we liked and played tune after tune! We would also like to thank Hans would sold the wedding to us after the initial meeting, and it was also nice that he was there on the day too. Thanks to donna who we liaised with via phone and emails to plan the day. And of course jeanette who was our main point of contact during the day she really did make sure everything ran smoothly, (and even offered to push my toddler in the pram to get him to sleep! ). And the last thank u to the porter who was on the 18th and 19th he made lots of trips to my room with baggage and various requests I phoned down for he was very friendly and polite and I didn't have the opportunity to thank him myself so please can the lodore pass this message to him. I highly recommend the lodore for weddings, we will be back to spend weekends away there as it is such a special place to us now. X x

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for one night in August 2013 and wish we could have stayed longer. As it was our 'honeymoon', I had asked for a 'nice' room when I booked and we were given a lovely room with small balcony overlooking the lake. My only slight gripe was that we did get there early but had to wait quite a long time for our room to be ready. However we spent the time having drinks and cake in the bar so it worked out fine. The evening meal was absolutely amazing, I have not had such a good meal in a long time.
The leisure facilities are o.k, the pool is quite small but the outside jacuzzi is a nice touch. We found all the staff very pleasant and helpful.
Yes there is a small road between the hotel and car park but its a quiet country road, not the m25 as some reviews led me to believe before I stayed there! All in all a lovely hotel and we shall certainly be going back.

Room Tip: Ask when booking for lake view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on the new year break. Excellent!
Food first class,Staff extremely helpful, wonderful location(shame about the weather).
Entertainment package good.
We were in room 111 which looked like it had been renovated and was excellent apart from the bathroom which was cold.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Visited the Lodore Falls Hotel for a pre Xmas short stay. Lovely location and very good facilities and open fireplaces in the lounge areas. Our particular room was of on the small side but reasonably well appointed. The restaurant prepared food was excellent, if I were to give any criticism it would be that it is maybe some of the dishes are a little too over the top; the service and presentation was immaculate however! The Staff were very friendly and polite. The pool, sauna and outdoor jacuzzi were great.

Improvements - Shelf or stand in the room / closet to put luggage on, background music in the spa facilities.

Overall very happy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#7 of 12 in Ambleside
The Keswick Country House Hotel

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!