“A beautiful place with very friendly staff.”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My fiancé took me here for my 30th birthday. The room was beautiful and very clean. Couldn't fault it. The staff were very friendly and as I was 8 months pregnant at the time they couldn't do enough for me. In the restaurant the food was beautiful and the staff very chatty and approachable. They were very quick to ensure I was comfortable and that my dietary needs were met. They also made a fuss over me as it was my birthday :0) I can't wait to go back there. Thank you for looking after me.

• Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,202)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

A much anticipated double birthday (40th and 65th) / Mother's Day stay did not disappoint.

Built as a state-of-the-art private house in the 60s, it has amazing views of Derwentwater and the mountains and the best possible accommodation. The four bedrooms and three bathrooms along with an enormous lounge and dining room were perfect for our our three generation group which included a three year-old and a a five month-old baby. It's almost on one level, with only a few steps separating the sleeping and living accommodation, so great for families.

Chose it for the flexibility of being able to use the hotel restaurant or have the full menu brought across to the house. All meals (mostly taken in the house) were superb and the service excellent. One of the staff, Orsi, took us under her wing and made sure our every need was catered for.

The only hiccup was when, late on the first night, we found we had no hot water in the bathrooms. The staff on duty did what they could but without success. An electrician came early next morning and it was fixed by 9 a.m.

Location is superb and we were able to walk Catbells, visit Keswick by car and use the Keswick Launch with minimal travel.

The £1200 for 3 nights rental looked pricey but when you work it out at £100 per room per night for top-class accommodation, it 's well worth it. . They left us enough in the fridge for two hearty cooked breakfasts and cooking facilities were excellent. The hotel food, however, at £33 for a three course meal, was good value for that standard of cuisine so we made the most of that in the evenings.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Came to this delightfully situated hotel when the weather was not exactly perfect ( in fact, it was doing a fair impression of "raining cats and dogs"! And when it rains in the Lake District......head for cover! However, because we had chosen the Lodore, the weather was NOT a problem as we curled ourselves up by the fireside, on comfortable sofas, helped ourselves to the myriad of excellent reading material, and, helped by a warm and spicy Pimms, settled into a wonderful experience. Lunch in the bar area started things off well ( the Pulled Pork is mouth-wateringly splendid) and very well priced, too. We stayed for 2 days, the menu, which was excellent, from the choice, the presentation, the cooking and the service, was changed daily, We were shown to a different table each night, and at breakfast, too, the latter being served at the table ( buffet was restricted to the cereal, fruit etc etc,) always a sign of a good hotel. Can't beat freshly cooked food- piping hot and delicious, in this case. As we were on a special package deal, we did not expect the finest of rooms.......we were correct, as we were placed at the rear of the hotel with a non-too-spendid view of the top of the restaurant and lounge rooves- however, the room itself was spotlessly clean, very well appointed and the beds/pillows were so comfortable. Bathroom again was beautiful with very pleasant toiletries. The surrounding countryside is "Lake District", so HAS to be perfect, whatever the weather - go in the summer months and you can take a ride on the Derwentwater boat ( or hire your own!) Bus stop right outside the door, with good services to Keswick and other places - leave the car and explore on foot- great! Don't hesitate to book here - there are plenty of deal from which to choose. There is only one drawback: if you 're not a dog lover, the fact that dogs are allowed in the hotel ( not sure whether into the bedrooms, but I trust NOT) may not appeal- just thought you might like to know. Another thing - if you fancy a Spa treatment you will need to book in advance- gets busy and is poorly staffed. Hope all this helps you to have as good a stay as we did..........we shall DEFINITELY go back.

Room Tip: If you can, try for a "better than Standard" room - most of these are being up-graded and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have often been to the Lodore over the years and I am a weekly visitor to Lake District Hotels group, so my partner bought my daughter and myself vouchers for massage and afternoon tea via Travelzoo. Due to ill health and access problems, it was difficult to redeem the vouchers before the 31st March cut-off and even though I explained to various members of staff that I was in and out of hospital, they were not willing to be flexible. I therefore had to sacrifice the 2 massage treatments, with no refund- not the treat we were hoping for. Presumably, they are not worried about local custom when the tourist season is about to start.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CumbriaCharlie
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear CumbriaCharlie

I have read your review with great concern and can assure you that we do care about all of our guests, whether they be from our beautiful county or indeed elsewhere.

Please feel free to contact me on 017687 77285 or stephen@lodorefallshotel.co.uk so as I can discuss your situation personally.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We came with friends to celebrate birthdays. We told hotel we would not be there until about 4.30 and they said fine. We booked in which was fine given our vouchers for crumpets and Pimms one for money off treatments. We went to room to unpack and freshen up before coming down for our crumpets and Pimms. This was 5.05 girl said too late finished at 5. We stood our ground and we were served these. A few minutes later another couple came in with their voucher and were turned away. Surely when booking in guests should be told of the time limit. Dinner was a choice of 2 menus one was £6 each extra which we all went for as the choice was better. It was good but not marvellous as previously experienced. Breakfast was good except I ordered waffle with coulis and cream - the waffle was brought and put in front of me without the extras nothing was said but I had seen these on counter with cereals so had to get them myself. All staff seemed pleasant enough but certainly not as good as it used to be. Will be trying somewhere else on next visit to the lakes

Room Tip: Noticed dog beds outside room next door so if any allergies make sure you get rooms that hasn't...
Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned from a lovely 2 day break here. My husband and I have been coming here for over 18 years, also since it was the Stakis, then the Hilton. In those days it was quite dark and dreary décor especially in the rooms (with stuffed animals etc. on shelves). The service, though, has always been superb whoever owned it and also the food. The people who say it needs modernising I don't think realise the amount of work that has been done here to revamp it, but also to keep its 'old fashioned' charm. The rooms are always clean, when you come into the lounge someone comes to take your order. Sometimes it takes awhile to get your food delivered to the lounge, but I believe that is to do with the fact that it is all freshly prepared and not 'sitting around', waiting for someone to order it! The reintroduction of fresh linen at meal times was good, as that went out when it was taken over by the Hilton group. The little stations that were around the room and were taken out, has made it more spacious and easier for the staff to get around. We always have a superb stay here, enjoying being waited on at the end of a tiring day walking/climbing fells, hills and mountains. We shall be returning again at the beginning of May for another glorious 2 days (only thing that can mar it is the weather, but even then waterproofs are good protectors from the Cumbrian weather!)

Room Tip: try and get fell or lake view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived cold, wet and fairly miserable but were quickly transformed by the warm environment of this very good hotel.
The lounge and bar areas are especially comfortable with great views of the lake and hills. We also enjoyed looking onto the gardens and watching the birds (including a woodpecker) on the bird feeders.
We made good use of the indoor swimming pool and even made a dash for the outdoor jaccuzzi and sat there for 5 mins listening to the crashing of the waterfall and raging beck.
We thought the food was excellent and our rooms were perfectly clean, well equipped and comfortable.
I should imagine it would be lovely to stay there in summer and make use of the gardens, pool and tennis court.
All the members of staff were very well trained, helpful and friendly.
An excellent stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Geo47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!