“Exceptional two night stay in a fantastic hotel”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
lincolnshire UK
“Exceptional two night stay in a fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Our two night stay started with a complimentary upgrade to a suite - a welcome surprise !! Room 31 was beautifully presented and had a lovely view to the lake from both the lounge and the bedroom. That evening we enjoyed a meal that was both interesting and flavourful - I was particularly impressed as I am vegetarian (Which seems to be a real irritant to other hotels) and was presented with a full vegetarian menu !! We enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi with a glass of wine the following day - you have to book it but then you have it for your sole use which is a lovely idea, we also took a short walk to the falls just behind the hotel.
That evening we chose to have room service which offered reasonable portions for the charge.
This hotel is genuinely one of the best I have ever stayed in - the staff, service, cleanliness and ambience are second to none and we will be back!!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is the third time my husband and I have stayed at the Lodore Falls Hotel, and once again we had a really memorable experience at this unique hotel that is right on the lake, in a stunning location.

Our Fell room was of a high standard and we both loved the comfortable Queen size bed.

I was pleased to see that some of the staff were still at the hotel some being there for many years which is a good sign and all staff were very friendly. Complementary hot Pimm's and crumpets on the first afternoon by a log fire was a nice touch and so relaxing.

Only slight problem was in the restaurant on the first evening. We had been asked to dine at a quarter to 8pm rather than at 7.30pm which we had booked due we were told to too many bookings which was no problem. However getting served was very difficult and after waiting for nearly 40 minutes for our main courses with not a waiter in sight I had to get up and find one. Asking a waitress what was the best time to eat she said 7pm and added that the kitchen cannot cope later on. The next evening we booked for 7pm, few people in and service was completely different with lots more waiting staff and we got served very quickly. We did receive a lot of apologies about what had happened the first night which we accepted though I would recommend that if what the waitress said was the case then the management needs to address the problem as when we come again we would really prefer to eat later.

Overall a lovely relaxing two nights break in a beautiful hotel that has a warm and friendly atmosphere. I would recommend staying here and the deals are really very good value for such a super hotel.

Room Tip: Have previously had a room looking over the lake which are the best as the views are stunning.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My fiancé took me here for my 30th birthday. The room was beautiful and very clean. Couldn't fault it. The staff were very friendly and as I was 8 months pregnant at the time they couldn't do enough for me. In the restaurant the food was beautiful and the staff very chatty and approachable. They were very quick to ensure I was comfortable and that my dietary needs were met. They also made a fuss over me as it was my birthday :0) I can't wait to go back there. Thank you for looking after me.

• Stayed February 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A much anticipated double birthday (40th and 65th) / Mother's Day stay did not disappoint.

Built as a state-of-the-art private house in the 60s, it has amazing views of Derwentwater and the mountains and the best possible accommodation. The four bedrooms and three bathrooms along with an enormous lounge and dining room were perfect for our our three generation group which included a three year-old and a a five month-old baby. It's almost on one level, with only a few steps separating the sleeping and living accommodation, so great for families.

Chose it for the flexibility of being able to use the hotel restaurant or have the full menu brought across to the house. All meals (mostly taken in the house) were superb and the service excellent. One of the staff, Orsi, took us under her wing and made sure our every need was catered for.

The only hiccup was when, late on the first night, we found we had no hot water in the bathrooms. The staff on duty did what they could but without success. An electrician came early next morning and it was fixed by 9 a.m.

Location is superb and we were able to walk Catbells, visit Keswick by car and use the Keswick Launch with minimal travel.

The £1200 for 3 nights rental looked pricey but when you work it out at £100 per room per night for top-class accommodation, it 's well worth it. . They left us enough in the fridge for two hearty cooked breakfasts and cooking facilities were excellent. The hotel food, however, at £33 for a three course meal, was good value for that standard of cuisine so we made the most of that in the evenings.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lancashire, England
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Came to this delightfully situated hotel when the weather was not exactly perfect ( in fact, it was doing a fair impression of "raining cats and dogs"! And when it rains in the Lake District......head for cover! However, because we had chosen the Lodore, the weather was NOT a problem as we curled ourselves up by the fireside, on comfortable sofas, helped ourselves to the myriad of excellent reading material, and, helped by a warm and spicy Pimms, settled into a wonderful experience. Lunch in the bar area started things off well ( the Pulled Pork is mouth-wateringly splendid) and very well priced, too. We stayed for 2 days, the menu, which was excellent, from the choice, the presentation, the cooking and the service, was changed daily, We were shown to a different table each night, and at breakfast, too, the latter being served at the table ( buffet was restricted to the cereal, fruit etc etc,) always a sign of a good hotel. Can't beat freshly cooked food- piping hot and delicious, in this case. As we were on a special package deal, we did not expect the finest of rooms.......we were correct, as we were placed at the rear of the hotel with a non-too-spendid view of the top of the restaurant and lounge rooves- however, the room itself was spotlessly clean, very well appointed and the beds/pillows were so comfortable. Bathroom again was beautiful with very pleasant toiletries. The surrounding countryside is "Lake District", so HAS to be perfect, whatever the weather - go in the summer months and you can take a ride on the Derwentwater boat ( or hire your own!) Bus stop right outside the door, with good services to Keswick and other places - leave the car and explore on foot- great! Don't hesitate to book here - there are plenty of deal from which to choose. There is only one drawback: if you 're not a dog lover, the fact that dogs are allowed in the hotel ( not sure whether into the bedrooms, but I trust NOT) may not appeal- just thought you might like to know. Another thing - if you fancy a Spa treatment you will need to book in advance- gets busy and is poorly staffed. Hope all this helps you to have as good a stay as we did..........we shall DEFINITELY go back.

Room Tip: If you can, try for a "better than Standard" room - most of these are being up-graded and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cumbria
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have often been to the Lodore over the years and I am a weekly visitor to Lake District Hotels group, so my partner bought my daughter and myself vouchers for massage and afternoon tea via Travelzoo. Due to ill health and access problems, it was difficult to redeem the vouchers before the 31st March cut-off and even though I explained to various members of staff that I was in and out of hospital, they were not willing to be flexible. I therefore had to sacrifice the 2 massage treatments, with no refund- not the treat we were hoping for. Presumably, they are not worried about local custom when the tourist season is about to start.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CumbriaCharlie
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear CumbriaCharlie

I have read your review with great concern and can assure you that we do care about all of our guests, whether they be from our beautiful county or indeed elsewhere.

Please feel free to contact me on 017687 77285 or stephen@lodorefallshotel.co.uk so as I can discuss your situation personally.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We came with friends to celebrate birthdays. We told hotel we would not be there until about 4.30 and they said fine. We booked in which was fine given our vouchers for crumpets and Pimms one for money off treatments. We went to room to unpack and freshen up before coming down for our crumpets and Pimms. This was 5.05 girl said too late finished at 5. We stood our ground and we were served these. A few minutes later another couple came in with their voucher and were turned away. Surely when booking in guests should be told of the time limit. Dinner was a choice of 2 menus one was £6 each extra which we all went for as the choice was better. It was good but not marvellous as previously experienced. Breakfast was good except I ordered waffle with coulis and cream - the waffle was brought and put in front of me without the extras nothing was said but I had seen these on counter with cereals so had to get them myself. All staff seemed pleasant enough but certainly not as good as it used to be. Will be trying somewhere else on next visit to the lakes

Room Tip: Noticed dog beds outside room next door so if any allergies make sure you get rooms that hasn't...
Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!