“Poor food, not on the lake, behind a road near the lake”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was taken here for my birthday, plus my Doberman of ten had just died, so we took our to Shitzus with us which is a positive for the hotel. the room was shabby with torn wallpaper, bad decorating for £300.00 per night, we expected luxury for that. We arrived at 9pm and were pushed to eat as the kitchen closes at 9pm far too early for that price, then the head waitress was very rude and obviously just wanted to go home, the food was A la carte but it was not good enough, poor meat, tough, bad menu, lack of knowledge from the Waitress, the male waiters were very good and seemed to care. Terrible food, stick to pub food i think. Whilst sitting in the bar, the evening bar man talked very loudly to a dark haired waitress in the washing area for glasses and basically talked badly about customers and the English, I live in London and have never had this from other non British workers in the UK. We did tell the head barman who was very receptive to our feedback and shocked.
Overall the hotel is nice but some of the staff let it down massively, the managers need to pay more and get better staff.
The food is also a massive let down and very disappointing.
We asked to move to another of their hotels as the whole weekend was a disappointment, we moved to the Inn on the lake and it is.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Rebecca797
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Rebecca 797

I recall our meeting whilst you were staying with us very well, you made numerous complaints about the food, service and accommodation which I tried to resolve. You then stated that if I didn't offer you a significant discount, you would place a poor review on tripadvisor. I didn't give the discount, because I didn't accept your unfair criticism, and you have been true to your word.

As your review is so at odds with the vast majority on this site, I feel certain that readers will draw their own conclusions as to its validity.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night at the beginning of April. Ladore Falls is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful place with lovely views. We used the swimming pool and hot tub and both were great. The breakfast was also lovely, probably one of the best we have had. The only problem I had with this hotel was the room we were staying in. We had a family room at the end of a corridor, next to a fire escape. The room was clean, but felt cold and drab and had a poor view from the window. The main problem with the room though was the fact that the pipes which were running through it to the radiators made the most horrendous banging through the night, all night. The pipes were right next to where my daughters bed was too, which resulted in all of us having no sleep at all, which I just feel when you pay quite a lot of money for a one night stay you would expect to have a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Mrs D

Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the food and services to be very good.

I am sorry to read, and sincerely apologise, that your sleep was disturbed by some noise coming from the heating pipework and have instructed our maintenance team to urgently investigate what has caused this disturbance.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have stayed four times at this wonderful hotel. The situation couldn't be better, overlooking Lake Derwentwater. All the staff were helpful and courteous, the food superb and the public rooms comfortable. The easy chairs and fires inviting you to sit and read on the odd rainy day one expects in the English Lake District. Walking is great in the immediate area and a bus to Keswick stops outside the hotel if you feel like a change from driving. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 113kathleena
LodoreGM, Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay at The Lodore Falls. We do enjoy welcoming people back to the Hotel over and over again, it's always such a pleasure to see familiar faces.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed with Lake District hotels many times at Inn on the Lake and thought it time to try another. We were not disappointed. Our room was on a corner at the back but had wonderful views of the fells and also with a slight head twist the lake. It had been newly refurbished and the standard was excellent, with nice toiletries in the bathroom.
The hotel was very busy , it being Easter, but the food at dinner and at breakfast was of a very high standard and beautifully presented. The staff were courteous and helpful, so why four stars, some of the public areas were a little tired, worn carpet from the first floor on parts of the stairs and some paintwork in need of attention. Am I being picky? no I don't think so, the sister hotel has had a total refurbishment and looks great and this one has a higher room rate. We would must definitely stay again, ideal spot to leave the car in the car park and just walk.

Room Tip: Some fell view room do not have a good view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MillyWestYorks

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay in the Lake District. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodore Falls or any of our sister hotels in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Booked in for Mothers' Day lunch before we came down to the Lake District for a week's break. Despite the fact that it was very busy and it was a celebration day, the service was superb and the food was amazing! Four courses for £27 and flowers or chocolates for the mums. There were half portions (for half price) of the adult four course menu for my hungry nine year old son which he loved. Great value, great food, great staff, great location. We'll be back!

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your visit to The Lodore Falls on Mothering Sunday. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your lunch with us and the little gifts for the mums.

I hope it was a memorable day for the whole family and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had been looking for a mini break up in the lakes for a while and came across this hotel on secret escapes for a very good deal. We chose a lake view room and it was definitely worth paying the extra money for. Our room was lovely and had the only balcony that was great to sit on with the sunshine! The service from all the staff was great. They were all very friendly and ready to help at all times. The choice for breakfast and evening meals was good and the vegetarian options for evening meal were amazing! The only slight complaint was that breakfast took a while to be served on 2 out of the three mornings so be wary if you need to head off quickly. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bradders2112

Thank you for the delightful review you were kind enough to write following your Secret Escape with us. I have passed on the comments you make regarding service to my team who always enjoy hearing how much our guests enjoy their stay.

I am sorry to hear that the service of breakfast wasn't as prompt us usual, we pride ourselves in the service we provide, so I will investigate why this was on that particular morning. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I hope that we will welcome you back to The Lodore Falls in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have stayed at many top hotels and this is an absolute gem.
There was 40 of us staying, as a 'business' party. The quality of the food was excellent, the best Venison ever! The staff very friendly and professional. The rooms are of a high standard, clean, comfortable and quiet. And as you would expect in the Lakes, stunning views. We will definitely be staying again. To prove how good it is, this is the first time I have left feedback on any hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!