“Nice hotel. Rude waiting staff”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel. Rude waiting staff”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Had a generally lovely time for a weekend here with 3 friends. Hotel reception was excellent and friendly. Very efficient. As was the porter staff who helped with our bags. Rooms were nice and clean

1st nights meal was booked for 8. When we arrived the table wasn't ready but that was fine we went to the bar for a drink. When we were seated the waiting girl was not unfriendly but was a rad cold. Food was nice.

2nd night was also booked for 8. We changed it to 9 as we had the opportunity to have a hottub at 7:40 (you need to book) so when we arrived at 9:05 we were seated and in less than 2 minutes were asked for our orders. We asked for a few more minutes and were told the kitchen was closing. A total of 3 rude staff asked us to order.
My order was from the more expensive £42-50 menu (5course)this night and was told about the supplement. I said that was fine. When my starter we arrived before the 1st course I mentioned I was on the ungraded menu and was told I would get a 3 course meal. I then queried the supplement and was informed that I wouldn't have to pay!

You guessed it the supplement was on the checkout bill so we gad to explain the whole story. To which we were told the restaurant took bookings unto 9:15. I'm not sure what would gave happened if we'd be been any later.

Such a shame. When thus could have easily been a 5 star review!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Yarmy3
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Yarmy3

Many thanks for your kind words about our wonderful hotel.

I think you're being a little harsh on the team here when you describe them as "rude", I'm certain that all they were trying to do was give you great service, but I do apologise unreservedly if their enthusiasm came over as a little too much.

I'm pleased to note that the billing issue was quickly resolved prior to you leaving the hotel.

Thank you once again for your review and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to this wonderful corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Stephen Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for a Saturday night in April this year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were there for a break and also to check out the hotel as a potential wedding venue. The manager showed us around and he was very friendly and approachable. The location is beautiful with amazing views across Derwent Water. We were fortunate to have a first floor room with a picturesque view across the water. We were too late to dine in the restaurant and instead ordered room service which we didn't have to wait long for. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced. The room was very clean and well decorated. We slept well as the bed was so comfortable! The staff were all friendly, polite and helpful and the few queries we had were dealt with promptly and efficiently. We were not disturbed by the wedding that was going on while we were there. We enjoyed lunch at the bar the next day. The menu offered a good choice without being pretentious, the quality of the food was very high and the waitress was very friendly. We didn't have time to use all of the facilities, but would like to when we come again.
All in all we had a great time. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David_and_Sue2014
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear David_and_Sue20

Many thanks for taking the time to place this review.

I do indeed remember showing you around the hotel and sincerely hope that we will have the privilege of hosting your special day.

Thank you once again for your review and wonderful comments.

St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife, daughter and I had lunch at The Lodore Falls Hotel on the May 4th. I will say immediately that the food, main course and dessert was superb! However, after waiting over 30 minutes for our dessert we politely asked our waitress (Stephanie) who was very good if our dessert was on it's way. Upon her return she said it would be with us shortly. Another 20 minutes later we enquirer again about our desserts. On her return she was so upset she could barely speak to us. She managed to get out that she had been told to get out of the way before breaking down in tears! We tried to comfort her and she assured us that her tears were nothing to do with us just that they were so short of staff that they could not cope. After she left us I went to talk to a manager, I managed to speak to a senior lady, who simply kept telling me that our desserts were on the way, I had to basically interrupt her to tell her that we were not worried about our desserts, but we were worried about her staff. I was simply told that they take great care of their staff before simply walking away to carry on her chat with another of her staff. I should say that there was a wedding on that day, but I doubt that this was anything out of the ordinary for such a large hotel. When our desserts came we simply ate and left immediately. What an appalling way to treat not just customers, but staff also!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Lewis M
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Lewis M

Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful hotel on this site.

I am pleased to read that you thought that the food offered last Sunday was superb, and have passed this on to all concerned.

Our staff member who became upset during service has asked me to pass on her apologies for allowing a personal matter affect her work.

I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Lodore again in the future and thank you once again for your review.

Manchester
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed for a family birthday for 2 nights and had a fantastic time in this lovely relaxing hotel. The hotel is nice although we didn't have a great outlook from our room (fell view was stretching it a bit), and it was far too hot. The room was small but very clean and had everything you needed. The whole hotel is nice, with a large bar area, small swimming pool and cosy lounge area. But the best part is the amazing service and food in the restaurant. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff and the overall relaxed atmosphere - do not book this hotel for bed and breakfast, you will wish you had paid for dinner as well!! It is also great value when booked together. One tip; if you want to use the hot tub you will need to book it beforehand, although it is free. It's nice, outdoor (which is a little bit public), but you can buy wine, beer etc. to take in with you. A great treat and we will definitely go again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deano86
LodoreGM, Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your break and our team were also delighted to read your kind comments about the service you received.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodore Falls Hotel in the not too distant future.

Southern Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband, 2 daughters and I stayed here for three nights (in 2 rooms) on a Voyage Prive rate. I paid extra for lake view rooms and it was well worth it. The hotel sits on a small plot fronting a road which runs alongside the lake. The rooms were beautifully furnished and housekeeping should be congratulated for the thorough cleaning and servicing daily. The hotel restaurant was very good with attentive service but the dinners were not so good on the third night - food was cool and nobody checked if everything was ok. The breakfasts were served to order and alright - nothing spectacular but sufficient. I refused to pay the £3.50 supplement for scrambled eggs and salmon. Our deal included winter Pimms and crumpets on arrival. I was a little disappointed when this menu was off and we were given tea and scones - not quite the same! Also, being the uber prepared traveller, I pre-booked spa treatments for my eldest daughter and I, only to have them cancelled and changed to a different day. However, they were cancelled for a second time and we never got to use our £10 spa vouchers at all - £40 down the drain. The hotel's leisure facilities are limited with a very small indoor pool and an outside hot tub which you have to pre-book, situated round the side of the hotel and next to a public footpath - shrinking violets beware! The hotel has quite a homely feel with imitation coal fires round every corner and residents lounging around with their dogs - most seemed to have 2 - okay with us as we are dog lovers and don't mind the occasional hair, but may be a problem for some. When I checked out the reception staff made quite a fuss of another guest (I assume) who turned up and failed to ask me if I had enjoyed my stay. Pity really, as I did have some comments, after all I had spent upwards of £1,400 there. Quite expensive but as our daughters are over 12 years we had to pay for 4 adults. Would I go back? Probably, if I could get the family suite for a good price. Oh, my last little niggle - everyone checking out received a free bottle of wine except me! Now I'm being petty, aren't I?

Room Tip: Lake view rooms worth it. Some have ceiling to floor windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MumsTheWord57
Maybole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My stay was for two nights. The package included DBB plus afternoon tea one the day of arrival and a bottle of wine on departure. I found the hotel to be very well run. The staff were very efficient and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the lake. They have all been refurbished and have nice picture windows
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian150
LodoreGM, Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your delightful review following your recent stay at The Lodore Falls. It's always great to hear how much people enjoy the little extras that we include in our short breaks.

We hope that we will see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was taken here for my birthday, plus my Doberman of ten had just died, so we took our to Shitzus with us which is a positive for the hotel. the room was shabby with torn wallpaper, bad decorating for £300.00 per night, we expected luxury for that. We arrived at 9pm and were pushed to eat as the kitchen closes at 9pm far too early for that price, then the head waitress was very rude and obviously just wanted to go home, the food was A la carte but it was not good enough, poor meat, tough, bad menu, lack of knowledge from the Waitress, the male waiters were very good and seemed to care. Terrible food, stick to pub food i think. Whilst sitting in the bar, the evening bar man talked very loudly to a dark haired waitress in the washing area for glasses and basically talked badly about customers and the English, I live in London and have never had this from other non British workers in the UK. We did tell the head barman who was very receptive to our feedback and shocked.
Overall the hotel is nice but some of the staff let it down massively, the managers need to pay more and get better staff.
The food is also a massive let down and very disappointing.
We asked to move to another of their hotels as the whole weekend was a disappointment, we moved to the Inn on the lake and it is.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rebecca797
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Rebecca 797

I recall our meeting whilst you were staying with us very well, you made numerous complaints about the food, service and accommodation which I tried to resolve. You then stated that if I didn't offer you a significant discount, you would place a poor review on tripadvisor. I didn't give the discount, because I didn't accept your unfair criticism, and you have been true to your word.

As your review is so at odds with the vast majority on this site, I feel certain that readers will draw their own conclusions as to its validity.

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,258 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!