“A very short but lovely stay”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for just one night on the 13 th June. On arrival we were checked in very efficiently. Our case was taken to the room. Room 130. It was a very nice and clean room. We were very lucky to have a small wooden balcony. We had a lake view although it also took in the car park but that can't be helped.

My husband had ordered strawberries and Pimms which we had outside in the hotel garden.

The hotel is a few minutes stroll from the lake and you can take the bus to the much busier town of Keswick.

For those of you who stay longer than us there is a spa with hot tub etc and tennis courts.

We opted for the five course dinner which was delicious. The service again was very prompt and the staff could not do enough to please.

After a well cooked breakfast we had our last walk to the lake and then had to leave for the journey home

The cost of the hotel I think is a little overpriced but nevertheless would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room at the front of the hotel they all have large full size windows or a balcon...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Fay Cheshire

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore on this site.

I am delighted to read that all went well with your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Stephen Johnson

Write a ReviewReviews (2,202)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My initial experience of the Lodore was, sadly, not the best. I was sold the 'penthouse suite', mostly because of my personal situation and so that with an invalid husband, I could enjoy the leisure options offered and the treatment sessions. Very expensive but I felt the facilities would be worth it.

On entering the room, we were somewhat overcome by the smell of cigarette smoke. The lady showing us around said she couldn't smell it but there again said she had just had a cigarette so that was why. After she had left, a trip onto the balcony showed that this had not been swept in weeks and was littered with cigarette ends - I collected 10! The furniture was covered in cobwebs and all the paint was peeling off the balcony - not quite the luxury you would expect for £700 for two for two nights!

I set off to make appointments for treatment sessions, only to be told they were fully booked for the period we were staying but went off for a swim. The following day all leisure facilities were over-subscribed because the hotel was having a 'pamper day' so I could not even swim. What had I paid for? I was so incenced I drafted a note to the hotel manager who did not even afford me the courtesy of a meeting, a reply or even a telephone call.

The staff and food were the best attribute to the hotel and instead of the manager leading by example, they were in fact setting the tone for the hotel. Two friends joined us unexpectedly on the second day and as we had a second bedroom in the suite we asked if they could stay. That cost me a further £150 for the privilege including them having to share a bathroom.

Very disappointed and feeling very let down that I was not able to enjoy the privileges I had paid for in an effort to satisfy a very well earned rest for a 24/7 carer. It also saddened me that although the hotel is a little 'tired' in places, the overall ambience is one of good feeling and welcome, set in splendid grounds and with a good restaurant. It only takes and experience like this to leave a sour taste.

4  Thank Beryl S

Dear Beryl S

I am sorry that you felt it necessary to write such a one sided version of you recent stay with us.

I do admit that there were some cigarette ends on the balcony of you suite, for which we apologised and cleared away as soon as you had made us aware of the oversight.

It's such a shame that do don't mention the free upgrade you were given or the fact that our chef personally prepared dishes which were not on the menu. I also question that you couldn't have a swim, our leisure facilities are never so "over subscribed" that guests cannot use the pools and, having checked the levels of business on the days that you were with us, your statement just is not the case.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We first visited Lodore in February 2013 after getting engaged at Christmas. We were looking for a venue to get married at.
The service was fantastic! And the views were magical.
We therefore decided to get married there on 6th June this year.
We would highly recommend the hotel to anyone! The manager Stephen and all his staff are fantastic!
Our wedding day and the few days afterwards were amazing. Couldn't fault it one bit.
We will defiantly be returning!
We'd highly recommend the lake cruise which we took all of our guest on as well. The location and views are out of this world.
The food was delicious too!

Room Tip: Brilliant hotel in every way!

Dear Tracey B

Thank you so much for your kind words.

My team and I will remember your wedding fondly for many years to come as the whole day was wonderful and your guests were a great party crowd. I have passed on your fantastic comments to all concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Lodore in the future.

Stephen

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We spent 2 nights here in May with a group of friends, and we all enjoyed the occasion. The hotel has a large bar/lounge area with plenty of space and comfortable chairs. The room we had was large, with a very comfortable bed, good pillows, poor bedside reading lights. The bathroom was perfectly adequate and clean, but was small and needed modernising. There was a large, rather uninviting balcony which appeared to be part of a roof. We hadn't paid extra to overlook the lake and weren't expecting much but it was an unappealing view all the same.
The hotel is in a wonderful location and you can go on excellent walks straight from the hotel.

Breakfast was ok, but we have had a better choice of breakfast fresh fruit in B and Bs we have stayed in recently. We would have rated the hotel "good" rather than "very good", but there is not that option. We didn't use the swimming pool or spa, which presumably pushes the price up and it is not a cheap hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jandgro

Dear jandgro

Thank you for reviewing our wonderful Lodore on this site.

Having worked at this hotel for the last eight years I still get the "Wow Factor" every time I come on duty. It could be the magnificent location, it could be the stunning building, it could be the fact that we have invested over £2 million in refurbishments over the last few years, it could be the wonderful guests who stay with us or it could be the fantastic team of people I am privileged to share Lodore as a work place with.

I'm sorry you didn't experience the same joy, but would be delighted to welcome you back in the future so that we can change you opinion.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Where do we begin? There is just so much great stuff to say. From the first communication with Erin and Donna regarding booking the hotel for our wedding we realised this hotel was the one for us. The way Donna and Erin answered all our hundreds of questions was just amazing. All the information given was helpful and because we had brought it forward it was gratefully appreciated. Queries and emails were always dealt with promptly and we never felt like a bother to them. We booked Lodore house for ourselves and 8 other family members from the 30th of may until 6th of June and the pictures really do not do it justice. Family and friends also stayed in the hotel and felt equally comfortable and well looked after. We had our hen and stag night on Friday the 30th and just before venturing out we met the pure angel of a wedding planner Jeanette. She was just the best planner and all round lovely person anyone could wish for. She took control of a few last minute things and took the strain right off us. A true gem indeed. On the Sunday we got married at 3pm outside and once again everything looked stunning and went so smooth. The staff were all so helpful,and genuinely made us feel very special . The food was outstanding, we chose the Cumbrian menu and wow what a great choice. Every guest commented on how lovely it all was. The night do also went lovely and the atmosphere was perfect. Thank you so much for the best day of our lives. Even the cheeky flash under my husbands kilt of his bum was a talking point for days and the staff are just unbeatable. The hotel, house, staff, scenery, and everything else at Lodore falls is just out of this world. We will be back. X x Pamela and Tim Watson

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Pamothy

Dear Pamela & Tim

Many thanks for your wonderful review.

We were honoured that you chose Lodore as the venue to celebrate your special day and delighted that all went so well for you and your guests.

Thank you once again and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked this trip via secret escapes so this may have an impacted on my review as the package limited the food selection.
We arrived at lunchtime on Saturday the 14/06/14 to celebrate our anniversary. This unfortunately coincided with a wedding and the obvious increased demand on the limited car parking. Having pulled onto the hotel frontage the car was unloaded and my wife left to attend the bags while I tried to locate parking in what was a pretty full car park. This completed returned to the Hotel and completed the check in process.
Directed to room not shown as is often the case in the better venues, the room had a lake view and was tastefully decorated not to long ago. The en suite was new too if a little small and one of the biggest misses in the bathroom was a hook of any description to hang bathrobes etc.
The bar was very popular catering for a multitude of walkers along with the wedding guests and passing trade calling for lunches. This caused the not too surprising delays with both food and drink orders.
We contemplated travelling to Keswick not too far down the road by either the Bus service that passed at regular intervals or possibly the launch that was visible from the bar that was also pretty frequent. In the end we stayed and enjoyed lunch and a couple of drinks both of which were enjoyable.
I felt a residents bar would be of benefit or at least another option during high traffic times in the lounge.
Having enjoyed a short walk into Borrowdale and the nearby river we returned to dress for dinner.
We found the general dress code was casual as the cliental seemed to be more outdoor pursuits than fine dining and it seems the management have set out to cater for this.
The four course tab menu we were offered was limited but having considered the alternative menu at an increased price of £7.50 each this too seemed unadventurous.
Out of the three main courses the chocolate tart was the only one that stood out for me although my wife enjoyed the Thai fish cake .
The breakfast was of high quality and we both enjoyed the cooked element very much.
Checking out completed with only the wine and a couple of beers to pay for, purchased after the bar closed to accompany the England game and the remainder of the £50 upfront charge refunded we left for home. Only to find our initial journey would coincide with a cycle event also going to Keswick you just never know what else will affect you're trip !

Room Tip: Rooms facing south don't look to have any view.
3  Thank David B
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear David B

Thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore on this site.

Having said how much you enjoy the location, room and most of the food offered whilst staying with us last weekend, I do think that you have been very harsh in marking us down....surely we were better than 3 out of 5?

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Presently staying at Lodore Falls Hotel - The best hotel ever. I cannot think of anywhere i would rather be. I am seriously considering barracading myself in my room when the time comes to leave. Leaving here gets harder to do with every visit.
I stay at Lodore Falls Hotel as often as I can, usually four to five times a year and more if finances/time permits.
From the moment you walk in the front door there is a warmth and friendliness you can only dream of. The staff are so attentive, genuinely caring for your every need - nothing is too much bother. The staff make you feel so special; you are their number one priority and they simply want you to relax and do everything possible to make your stay magical.
Food and service is simply fantastic - the best ever. I have never had either as good anywhwere else and don't think anywhere else could ever compare consistantly on such a high level..
Although I live over five hours away I could not think of anywhere else i would rather get married than Lodore Falls (after observing many weddings whilst staying there over the years) and i did just that last November. The staff made sure it was the most magical and most special day of my life, and for that, i will always thank them from the bottom of my heart.
Don't take my word for it, go find out for yourself, i can guarantee you will not be dissapointed, although really, i should keep it my little secret!!!!!
Special heartfelt thanks to Stephen, Hans, Mike (top chef ) Alex, Jake, Felix, Jeanette,Orsi, Donna & Steph.
P.S. If i dont come down to check out on Monday you know where I will be.

Room Tip: Lake View Room. Although all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Teresa P

Thank so much for your wonderful review.

We love having you come to stay with us as well and I've just ordered an extra strong barricade to make sure that you stay with us a little longer!!

The whole team will be sad to see you check out but will eagerly look forward to your next stay.

Stephen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!