“Charming!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
London
“Charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here for only one night only on a trip to visit Scafell Pike but wished I had stayed longer. Lovely secluded location, lovely views and plentiful off-road parking. The communal areas of the hotel are beautifully decorated in a warm, welcoming and stylish way. I had booked a standard room for single occupancy but it was very nice, with a double bed and lovely modern bathroom. Although we didn't eat dinner at the hotel that night, the breakfast the next morning was very good. Throughout our visit the staff were friendly and helpful. If I had only one negative comment to make it would be that, if you were booking a standard room, ask for it to not look over the kitchen area. My room was very close to the kitchens and it can become noisy around lunchtime and during the evening with staff talking/cooking etc. Fortunately about 11pm it all went very quiet and I had a very good night's sleep. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above....ask to be located away from the kitchens if you want an early night...or nee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Boxmoor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a lovely hotel, wonderful gardens great food and bar.
We stayed in room 208, lovely room with a lake view and double aspect over the lake and gardens, did not sleep well the first night but quite usual for me, the room was quite noisy, my second night was worse and I stated to Alex at reception the next morning that I thought a herd of elephants had been moved into the room above ours, also I could hear the guy in room 209 snoring all night. We will not stay in this room again.
Overall we enjoyed our stay very much, the staff were absolutely excellent, all characters in their own right, the food was great, with breakfasts to die for. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone of the staff.
Great base for Keswick and some amazing climbs. we managed Skiddaw and Little man, plus Latrigg hill with the girls, plus a couple of walks right out of the hotel, the weather stayed good for us. Thanks to everyone at the hotel for everything and for making our stay really special. I will ring the hotel and speak to Alex next time we visit and take him up on his offer to make sure we get a quieter room next time, then hopefully I will be able to give an excellent overall rating to the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a top floor room, if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rhizostoma
Milnthorpe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Four of us (me my wife and our friends) came here for the Spa, arriving about 9am. We were served coffee and had some lovely fresh fruit on a plate. My wife and her friend went for a head massage first and me and my friend relaxed, then went and got changed ready for our turn. I had a back, neck and shoulder massage, it was very good. Afterwards we went for a jacuzzi a sauna and a cool down in the indoor pool. I had been over to look at the outdoor pool but was disappointed in it, there was quite a bit of debris on the bottom of the pool (leaves etc) and the temperature was only 20 degrees. I used to manage an outdoor pool myself so I know that it hadn't had it's daily vacuum! We got changed and had a wonderful lunch, it really was delicious and plenty of it too. We really enjoyed ourselves here the hotel public areas were very clean and the decor was very pleasing, the grounds were very well maintained and looked beautiful. I would like to return another day and have dinner and stay the night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed with my family in this hotel a number of times and have greatly enjoyed each of my stays.

Most recently we stayed in the hotel for a weekend to have a family catch up and celebration due to recent events in the family. Some of the family were given a suite on the third floor which boasted stunning views of the scenery and made for a brilliant place to relax in the evening after dinner in the restaurant.

The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard, although I did feel that some of the portion sizes were quite small, especially given the prices listed in the menu. The staff were attentive and quickly replaced a bottle of wine that was corked without any fuss or delay. After dinner, we were encouraged to have the post-meal coffee in the bar/lounge area, which also had great views of the countryside, the one issue I took with this was the fact that we had to move the seats around the lounge ourselves as we were a large group and most spaces couldn't accommodate us.

Alongside the restaurant, the bar food is also very good, I can recommend the fish and chips from the bar. It has a large selection of rather expensive drinks that are served by friendly and knowledgable bar staff.

The room I stayed in was large and spacious, if a little hot in the evenings. It was on one of the wings of the hotel that overlooked the building across the road (staff accomodation I believe) and the scenery around it. The cleaning staff were very good, although I left a "Do not Disturb" sign on the door when we went out for the day to save the cleaners from tidying our room (as it didn't need it) and came back to find the room cleaned.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and look forward to staying in it again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We were married here on 9 June. I have organised big events in the past at hotels and I have to say the team here make it easy! I organised my wedding here from abroad so it was mainly done by email and just one trip to see the venue. Erin and Donna were wonderful answering questions quickly and offering advice and ideas as needed.

On the day Jeanette was in charge of everything and she was a star! She even came in early on my wedding day to make sure I got away from the organisational side and she helped my sister throughout the day with various tasks that needed to be done including changes to decoration from day to night. I wanted to make special mention to the gentleman who was also present to help with organisation, I am sorry yo say his name escapes me. He was a great help and he even moved the music outside when we decided that we would do our first dance in the Gazebo at dusk, going so far as to dry the wet Gazebo floor for us so we didn't slip! The team here really is special.

I had a tear in the underside of my dress during the evening which was trailing and needed a fix. When i called for a sewing kit they brought it to my room in a flash and I was good as new in time for the first dance!

We chose a BBQ style menu which was delicious. Our guests all commented on how good the venue was.

I stayed 2 nights. One in one of the newer rooms which was smaller but comfortable and nicely decorated it was warm but opening the window helped with that. And the second night in the Tower Room which was stunning, and romantic and certainly fun trying to get up and down the stairs in my dress!! When one of our guests asked for a room change for a better view she got it even thought the hotel was very busy.

A huge thanks to all involved!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked a secret escapes night on 27th June 2014 to finish our holiday.
Greeting: we arrived at 5.20 from Oban. We were immediately told we were too late to have the prepaid Pimms and strawberries which was part of the booking. They stop serving food in the bar at 5pm. I explained that no time limit was mentioned at time of booking. At 6.30pm other guests were served Pimms etc., in the bar.

Restaurant: We were shown to a table almost adjoining another and asked the Maître D for a different table, plenty available. He made an issue of our request which was most embarrassing. My starter of crab and avocado was unappetising, very little crab and very under ripe hard avocado. We asked for coffee and were told it would be served in the bar. We waited for 20 mins for coffee, the service was dreadful despite the fact the bar was quiet with plenty of staff.

Room. Room 138, is in corner of building, it overlooks a flat roof and bedroom patios. is very small, angular, hot and noisy. The bathroom is badly designed, opening the shower screen blocks the handbasin. The noise is due to generator etc., We did not sleep with the noise.

Breakfast: Chipped cup, silver ware, coffee pots etc., past their best.
Porridge very poor, ran out of croissants at 8.45 Sunday morning.

Checkout: Receptionist asked if we enjoyed stay and we replied 'no'. She asked if we would like to speak to someone and summoned the manager. Mr Johnson, was not the least bit interested in our experience. He was most defensive and when we mentioned room 138 he replied 'I know it is noisy, I have stayed there many a night' . I asked why we had been allocated this room if he knew they had problems with the room. He said we had got the room for the best available price.

We left feeling we had booked a cheap one night experience costing £155 with secret escapes in a two star hotel. Our experience has not only marred our stay at this hotel but we also have concerns with booking Secret Escapes again.

I told Mr Johnson I would for the first time write a trip advisor review. He said he would reply! I am sure he will do his utmost to find something positive in my review. This is our personal experience and not one to be repeated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Pamela
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Pamela

It goes without saying that I was expecting your review, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to depict such a one sided and, frankly distorted, version of our conversation when you departed the hotel last Saturday morning.

The offer you stayed on did include Pimms and Strawberries on arrival, you were advised that the bar lounge finished serving food at 5pm, but that you were welcome to have the Pimms and strawberries the following day. You accepted this at the time of check in and only mentioned the "other guests" the next day. I advised that I didn't know why they were served Pimms and strawberries after our normal finishing time and that had I been aware of your feelings I would have certainly arranged for you to have been served at that time.

Our guests are allocated tables at the beginning of their stay and as window table become available we allocate them, you stated to me that you didn't like the table offered and you wanted a window table. My restaurant manager had merely advised you that other guests would be using them and that one could be arranged for you the next day. He was not the one making an issue or being embarrassing.

I was pleased when you advised me that the restaurant team quickly replaced the starter which you didn't enjoy. We serve after dinner coffee in the Lake View bar lounge, none of the staff on duty that recall any issues or delays but I do apologise for a clear oversight in not having spotted you waiting.

Room 138 is one of our standard rooms, which has been very recently refurbished to a wonderful standard. I did state that had we been aware of your feelings, we would have been delighted to have offered you an alternative room and that I was disappointed not to have had the opportunity of doing so.

We don't use chipped cups, I do apologise if one slipped through the net as I can assure you that we spend a considerable amount of time and money ensuring that our standards are maintained to the highest possible level. My restaurant manager has confirmed to me that at no time did we run out of croissants during last Saturday's breakfast service, there may have been a point where fresh stocks were being brought through from the kitchen and, if this led to the buffet being temporally depleted, why not ask your waiter for some?

Pamela, I am somewhat taken aback by your comment that I wasn't interested in your experience as I spent a considerable amount of time with you last Saturday trying to resolve the issues you raised. One thing does baffle me though.....why tell me, and the millions of readers of this site, that you've never written a review before when your profile shows this this work is in fact your Fifth review?

I am pleased to have had the chance to put the record straight.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at Lodor Falls. It is very well run with friendly staff who ensure everything runs smoothly. The rooms and restaurant are all a little bit basic and dated, but the food is decent and the views across Derwent Water are stunning. Excellent value for money.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Naa25
Dear Naa25

Many thanks for your kind words following your recent stay with us, I am delighted to read that all went well and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,233 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!