“Lovely break with friends”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
liverpool United Kingdom
“Lovely break with friends”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just back from a two night break at the Lodore Fall Hotel. Arrived in pouring rain but we received a warm welcome from all the staff. Saturday's weather was hot and sunny, it was like being in the Italian lakes! There is so much to do in the area from lakeside walks, kayaking, treatments in the spa, lounging by the outdoor and indoor pool, drinking prosecco in the hot tub to keep guests occupied all day. Dinner on both nights was really delicious and good value, include coffee and petit fours in the lounge. The restaurant manager and his staff were friendly and attentive and arranged for a window table for the saturday night. Duck was very good and all of our party commented on presentation of the food. Breakfasts are very good too, enjoyed smoked haddock and poached egg but there is a good selection to choose from, full english, kippers, plus cereals fruits, pastries, hams and cheeses etc. Evenings are fairly quiet as there are lots of couples and music could do with being livelier but we still had a laugh! Our room (125) was good and the bed was so comfortable, we had a deck attached which was lovely as we could sit out and enjoy the sun. Slight problem with squeaky floors in rooms above but not a big problem. Nice to see dogs are welcome too!
Hotel overall probably needs an update but it is still charming and very clean; the spa, outdoor grounds, comfort of rooms, friendliness of the staff and the beautiful location meant we had an excellent break and I would consider going back. Nearby Keswick is quaint and worth a visit.

Room Tip: Book a treatment before you go as we left it until arrival and the appointments had all gone. Take y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great location. Good room, comfy beds. Phenomenal food. Beauty salon is lovely, they do a nice job at nails. However, the staff are so focussed on providing good service that it makes you feel uncomfortable. At dinner, we had interaction with 6 different wait staff, to the point we felt like it was time to leave. The staff are so tense that it becomes infectious, they just need to relax as they are working in a beautiful hotel in a very serene area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Phoebe S
London
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here for only one night only on a trip to visit Scafell Pike but wished I had stayed longer. Lovely secluded location, lovely views and plentiful off-road parking. The communal areas of the hotel are beautifully decorated in a warm, welcoming and stylish way. I had booked a standard room for single occupancy but it was very nice, with a double bed and lovely modern bathroom. Although we didn't eat dinner at the hotel that night, the breakfast the next morning was very good. Throughout our visit the staff were friendly and helpful. If I had only one negative comment to make it would be that, if you were booking a standard room, ask for it to not look over the kitchen area. My room was very close to the kitchens and it can become noisy around lunchtime and during the evening with staff talking/cooking etc. Fortunately about 11pm it all went very quiet and I had a very good night's sleep. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above....ask to be located away from the kitchens if you want an early night...or nee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Boxmoor
Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a lovely hotel, wonderful gardens great food and bar.
We stayed in room 208, lovely room with a lake view and double aspect over the lake and gardens, did not sleep well the first night but quite usual for me, the room was quite noisy, my second night was worse and I stated to Alex at reception the next morning that I thought a herd of elephants had been moved into the room above ours, also I could hear the guy in room 209 snoring all night. We will not stay in this room again.
Overall we enjoyed our stay very much, the staff were absolutely excellent, all characters in their own right, the food was great, with breakfasts to die for. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone of the staff.
Great base for Keswick and some amazing climbs. we managed Skiddaw and Little man, plus Latrigg hill with the girls, plus a couple of walks right out of the hotel, the weather stayed good for us. Thanks to everyone at the hotel for everything and for making our stay really special. I will ring the hotel and speak to Alex next time we visit and take him up on his offer to make sure we get a quieter room next time, then hopefully I will be able to give an excellent overall rating to the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a top floor room, if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rhizostoma
Milnthorpe
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Four of us (me my wife and our friends) came here for the Spa, arriving about 9am. We were served coffee and had some lovely fresh fruit on a plate. My wife and her friend went for a head massage first and me and my friend relaxed, then went and got changed ready for our turn. I had a back, neck and shoulder massage, it was very good. Afterwards we went for a jacuzzi a sauna and a cool down in the indoor pool. I had been over to look at the outdoor pool but was disappointed in it, there was quite a bit of debris on the bottom of the pool (leaves etc) and the temperature was only 20 degrees. I used to manage an outdoor pool myself so I know that it hadn't had it's daily vacuum! We got changed and had a wonderful lunch, it really was delicious and plenty of it too. We really enjoyed ourselves here the hotel public areas were very clean and the decor was very pleasing, the grounds were very well maintained and looked beautiful. I would like to return another day and have dinner and stay the night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed with my family in this hotel a number of times and have greatly enjoyed each of my stays.

Most recently we stayed in the hotel for a weekend to have a family catch up and celebration due to recent events in the family. Some of the family were given a suite on the third floor which boasted stunning views of the scenery and made for a brilliant place to relax in the evening after dinner in the restaurant.

The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard, although I did feel that some of the portion sizes were quite small, especially given the prices listed in the menu. The staff were attentive and quickly replaced a bottle of wine that was corked without any fuss or delay. After dinner, we were encouraged to have the post-meal coffee in the bar/lounge area, which also had great views of the countryside, the one issue I took with this was the fact that we had to move the seats around the lounge ourselves as we were a large group and most spaces couldn't accommodate us.

Alongside the restaurant, the bar food is also very good, I can recommend the fish and chips from the bar. It has a large selection of rather expensive drinks that are served by friendly and knowledgable bar staff.

The room I stayed in was large and spacious, if a little hot in the evenings. It was on one of the wings of the hotel that overlooked the building across the road (staff accomodation I believe) and the scenery around it. The cleaning staff were very good, although I left a "Do not Disturb" sign on the door when we went out for the day to save the cleaners from tidying our room (as it didn't need it) and came back to find the room cleaned.

I would definitely recommend the hotel and look forward to staying in it again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We were married here on 9 June. I have organised big events in the past at hotels and I have to say the team here make it easy! I organised my wedding here from abroad so it was mainly done by email and just one trip to see the venue. Erin and Donna were wonderful answering questions quickly and offering advice and ideas as needed.

On the day Jeanette was in charge of everything and she was a star! She even came in early on my wedding day to make sure I got away from the organisational side and she helped my sister throughout the day with various tasks that needed to be done including changes to decoration from day to night. I wanted to make special mention to the gentleman who was also present to help with organisation, I am sorry yo say his name escapes me. He was a great help and he even moved the music outside when we decided that we would do our first dance in the Gazebo at dusk, going so far as to dry the wet Gazebo floor for us so we didn't slip! The team here really is special.

I had a tear in the underside of my dress during the evening which was trailing and needed a fix. When i called for a sewing kit they brought it to my room in a flash and I was good as new in time for the first dance!

We chose a BBQ style menu which was delicious. Our guests all commented on how good the venue was.

I stayed 2 nights. One in one of the newer rooms which was smaller but comfortable and nicely decorated it was warm but opening the window helped with that. And the second night in the Tower Room which was stunning, and romantic and certainly fun trying to get up and down the stairs in my dress!! When one of our guests asked for a room change for a better view she got it even thought the hotel was very busy.

A huge thanks to all involved!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!