“Sorry to hear that the food is still poor”

The Borrowdale Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the Borrowdale in Summer 2012. Our room was good, and the location was great, but I was terribly disappointed with the food. Since the hotel still sends me promotional emails, I thought I would see what other people are saying about the food now - unfortunately, nothing much seems to have changed! Our food was bland, not homemade, and had weird combinations such as a vegetable lasagne served with the same vegetables provided for a pork chop (and the vegetables were just dumped on top of the plate full of.sloppy lasagne).
What really upset me was that we spoke to the manager who implied that we were in the wrong, and that he had had no other complaints.
This hotel would really benefit from getting a good chef who can advise the manager about current food styles.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay T
Leah D, Guest Relations Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Kay

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts on the Borrowdale Hotel from your stay in 2012.

I’m glad that you were happy with your room and the location; however I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meals. We receive many compliments on the standard of our food and can only apologise that we have not met your satisfaction on this time.

We take everyone’s comments into account and try to use these to make improvements where needed.

We hope that this experience will not put you off returning to the Borrowdale Hotel, however If you would like to forward your email address to leah@lakedistricthotels.net I can remove you from our database, to stop any further promotional material coming your way.

Leah

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was really disappointed with this hotel. I booked to celebrate my hubby's birthday and so chose a place which claimed the food was exceptional rather than a place with a spa and we were both disappointed with the food. The Hotel is beautiful, clean and comfortable, pleasant staff - though some are rather 'in your face' . The hotel feels very formal and would benefit from some background music to soften the atmosphere. It was priced at 5 star but didn't manage to achieve this with the lack of professional waiting staff, ambience or small touches such as the paper not being delivered to the room, not being shown to your table and waiting staff not responding to needs eg being offered cheese or coffee. The meal choice was taken whilst having pre dinner drinks and when the chap told you your table was ready you then had to find your way to the restaurant and were left waiting to be shown to your table. I noticed that one person was left to carry his drinks and struggle with his mother on his arm to find his way to the restaurant. Once in the restaurant the real saga began...The food was less than acceptable. For example. Tomato and mozarrello salad was literally cheap, tasteless tomato with a little mozarello and no sort of seasoning. Fragrant rice was actually quick boil white rice with some watered down pesto drizzled on top, walnut pudding and custard was a muffin with cold tasteless nasty yellow sauce around it...and these were the dishes that were totally inedible the rest was just about adequate. I noticed the yorkshire puddings on other tables were left as they were too hard to cut, and another couple we spoke to said the beef had no taste at all. At breakfast one morning a chap in chef whites (which were actually washed out grey) came out and started clearing the tables - he did not look very presentable or particularly clean and if he was responsible for cooking then it explained a lot. At both evening meals I explained to the head waiter why the mean was not acceptable and both times he sympathised but did nothing to resolve the situation other than to say 'hmm others have said similar and we are having a new chef in 2 months' . We purchased wine on both nights and I half expected at least one to be deducted from the bill...they weren't. When we were checking out, I handed over the feedback form and asked that I receive a response to it but 2 weeks have passed without any contact. I can see from some reports that they found the food to be ok, I am really have given an honest account of my findings and the fact that the head waiter said they had received other complaints bear this out. I do hope they respond to my complain and maybe even a complimentary stay once they have a decent chef in place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Holidasyrus

Dear Holidasyrus

Thank you for taking the time to review the Borrowdale Hotel.

I’m glad to hear that you found the hotel to be beautiful, clean and comfortable with pleasant staff. The hotel has had all of the bedrooms refurbished in the last three years and have finished off the ground floor conservatory and bar lounges this March, bringing the whole hotel to a high standard of quality and comfort.

You state that we are priced at 5* however we are in fact a 3* hotel and if you take the time to look at other 3* hotels in the Lake District, you will see that our prices are very reasonable. Taking this into account your review is slightly misleading and perhaps you were expecting more from the hotel than we are able to offer.

We have many compliments regarding our food and service and on this occasion I am sorry to hear that this did not meet your requirements.

We hope that this experience will not put you off returning to the Borrowdale Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

lovely location, very good service, and very nice traditional food. Good selection of wines with reasonable prices. Stayed here lots of times and always enjoyed it. Traditional in many ways and long may it remain so

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeCowdenbeath
Leah D, Guest Relations Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Mike

Thank you for leaving a 5* review for our hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and for returning to the hotel once again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 March 2014

After having stayed at The Lodore Falls on the last 5 occasions for a short break and we fancied a change so opted for the sister hotel down the road The Borrowdale Hotel in the Borrowdale valley just outside of Keswick. We love The Lodore so were hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed by our decision to have a change and we were not. The location, staff, room, quality of food and service were excellent. Overall we had an wonderful stay. The Borrowdale has everything the Lodore has except for the health club (which you can use if you like) but on a quieter and smaller scale. This however gave us a much more personal service. As usual everything was perfect and the staff could not do enough and after every "thank you",the staff reply "it's a pleasure" and it really is. I hope that we don't offend the wonderful Lodore by saying that The Borrowdale is now my favourite?! We hope to return to The Borrowdale very soon.

1  Thank gittinsclan

Dear gittinsclan

Thank you for your lovely 5* review of our hotel. It’s great to hear that you decided to have a change and stay with us at the Borrowdale Hotel and that you enjoyed your stay just as much as previous breaks at the Lodore Falls Hotel.

I’m pleased that you were looked after by our friendly team and that your stay was satisfactory. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Borrowdale Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The place is very nice but despite the room being very nice we couldn't help but feel very underwhelmed with the prestige room in view of the hotel pictures and the price to stay here. This was disappointing. The manager gave us a bottle of wine on the house when we mentioned this and the quality of the stay was otherwise good. But a few simple tweaks would make a difference. Such as delivering your paper to the room instead of simply finding out that it is just kept in reception. At least mention this please if this is the case. A nice place that lacks a few special touches and feels overly formal. Too expensive even at the discounted rate we had. A good hotel that just doesn't seem to have the right balance and so leaves you feeling a little disappointed. The price and expectations pitch at the 5 star level. The food and service stand up to this but other things aren't special enough.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Borrowdale hotel before and reviewed it on here. We returned with great expectations. Our room was clean warm and comfortable. The hotel had been refurbished and was a little more boutique than country living. The staff were friendly though our welcome was not like before, the girl seemed unsure and we even had to ask for the key. We love Borrowdale and hope visit more often but will choose a different hotel because of the dining experience. Our waiters were excellent friendly and hard working. We were horrified to see the Maitre D change his smile to a scowl and tell a waiter to earn some money, to see to bread and water. Nervous looks were being exchanged all night amongst the staff and the atmosphere was uncomfortable. The food last time was delicious. This time some if it was inedible, cold and bland. I ordered a vegetable pie which was topped with mash and served with salad, which was strange. Under the mash was some bland tomatoes chopped carrots and peas. I ordered maple pudding and custard which was like a finger of cake from a smart price cake pack, hard and the custard was curdled. The starter of mozzarelLa and tomatoes was tasteless without even a basil leaf in sight. If I had been doing a blind taste test I would have thought it was all purchased from Iceland. There seem to be strange food combinations like gravy on your ham, salad with mash? Risotto was cold and tasteless. The lamb was over cooked. We appreciate everyone has different tastes but last time everything was delicious, so we were disappointed. The Maitre D speaking to staff in front of paying customers is the reason we will not be returning. The staff are all friendly and hard working and should be appreciated!

2  Thank saffron_yellow

Dear Saffron_yellow

Thank you for your comments and for your returning visit to Borrowdale Hotel. I am however sorry to hear that your second experience to the hotel has not been a memorable one like the first.

I would like to thank you for your comments as they have been taken into account and I hope that your recent experience of the hotel has not put you off and that you will continue to return to the Borrowdale Hotel.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had such a lovely time! My mum gave me a voucher for a "Lazy Sunday", I can thoroughly recommend this as a treat for yourself or a gift for somebody special.
We stayed in a Standard Room which whilst compact provided all we needed.
The food was delicious.
The staff were attentive and friendly.
A very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: March 2014
Leah D, Guest Relations Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Kate_mc75

Thank you for your lovely review from your recent stay with us. I’m really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.

Leah

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Lodore Falls Hotel
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#7 of 17 in Keswick

Been to The Borrowdale Hotel? Share your experiences!