Another little treat for hubby and I staying over for dinner and one night at the Leathes Country House Hotel few mile outside of Keswick. It is located back from the road and in a very picture postcard area at the far end of the lake.Hubby and I were in room 6.I did detect a musty smell when entering the hotel from the back entrance as hubby missed the main turnoff up the the front of the hotel ..which may have looked grander then the rear of the hotel... The entrance does look quite grand on the website with the staircase and tiled reception area however, hubby and I did not accend said stair case but were allocated the rear accomodation. Still,the views were splendid. We had pre- dinner drinks in the conservatory which I found the furniture quite dated, binoculars were available to view the scenary. The hotel had been prepared for the christmas season and lit up with christmas trees and a roaring log fire in the lounge area. The bar was well stocked and a very pleasant young man assisted to serve hubby and I our fave tipple all evening...Dinner served in the dineing in very pleasant suroundings. Pear and brie, grouse and seasonal veg, choc torte for me. Pate, steak and sticky tofee for hubby... we are very predictable, bottle of pinot grigrio coffee and plenty of fave tipple...Not too keen on the starters too much Brie, grouse wonderfull meal could have been hotter, choc torte wonderfull. Hubby not to keen on his starter " nowt special" steak OK, pud, dee-lish.Dinner £65, added £4.95 supp for steak, wine £19.99 average price when eating out, bar bill a jaw dropping £65....had a good night! Room £100. As we were in the smallest room which is to be renovated I thought it quite pricey..Hotel is to close for three month for re- furbishment, I would like to revist again when the work is carried out and may be take our own "fave tipple".....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Leathes Head is a magnificent eleven bedroom Edwardian Country House Hotel, situated in the unspoilt Borrowdale Valley. The hotel is set amongst three acres of private grounds and is surrounded by stunning scenery, meandering rivers and some of the most spectacular fells in North West England. With superb views across the valley and easy access to Keswick, this is the perfect place for a relaxing break. The entire Borrowdale Valley is ringed by glorious fells known and loved by seasoned walkers. Lake cruises, water sports, mountain biking trails and plenty of other Lake District activities are all within easy reach of the hotel. We are proud holders of two AA Rosettes for food, and our guests can enjoy dishes prepared using locally sourced ingredients; sit in the traditional bar to enjoy a drink or watch the wildlife from the comfort of the conservatory windows before retiring to one of the individually furnished bedrooms, with views of the surrounding countryside and hotel gardens. The hotel is proud to be nominated two years running for Hotel of the Year in the Cumbria Tourism awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Leathes Head Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leathes Head Country Borrowdale
- Leathes Head Country Hotel
- The Leathes Head Country House Hotel Borrowdale/Keswick