“A hidden gem of tranquility” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Leathes Head

The Leathes Head
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
“A hidden gem of tranquility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed here for one night in the superior room 4. The room was spotless and the views were stunning. Bathroom very well done though perhaps a tad cramped for a superior room.

The food was beautifully prepared and presented, only nighle I wasn't asked how I liked my steak and it came medium rare when I prefer well done, it wasn't a problem as it was sorted very promptly and efficiently.

Lovely breakfast on Sunday morning. The staff are extremely helpful and accommodating.

I would certainly recommend the leathes head for an adult only relaxing break away from the hustle and bustle of Keswick.... Near enough to visit but far enough away too.

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of July to cover some of the Coast to Coast route nearby. From the moment we arrived, we felt at home. The room while a little dated was very comfortable and met our needs. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel on both nights and the standard was very high. The staff pitched their level of attentiveness just perfectly to meet our needs. We were also provided with a substantial packed lunch for our walk on the Sunday which we very much appreciated at the top of High Stile Ridge. We are looking forward to returning soon. The garden was a most pleasant place to take in the views on a summer's evening with a glass of Rose!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YorkshireCelticTiger
Bexleyheath, Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

My wife and I booked a three night break, bed and breakfast staying in one of the superior rooms; we cannot wait to return. From the moment we arrived we knew we were in for a relaxing break.The hotel is in a beautiful setting, set back a short distance from the road with amazing views. The first thing that took us was how peaceful and quiet the area is.The staff were very helpful and the location is perfect being just a few miles from the centre of Keswick. The views around the hotel are truly breathtaking. The dinning room and lounges provide a beautiful and relaxing enviroment and the breakfast choice was very comprehensive. We also ate at the restaurant one evening and the food was excellent. We are already planning our return.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the superior rooms and the view from the bed room windows was amazing. The was p...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Our 3 night break was a surprise for my husband on our 30th wedding anniversary, and it couldn't have been a better choice!
The hotel is set in beautiful gardens,with its own privated drive away from the road. We had a lovely cosy room on the ground floor close to the back door, which was perfect for our 2 dogs. There was even a hose for cleaning them down and a drying room for the wet towels.
The countryside was perfect for walking, of course, with walking available right from the back door.
I am so glad I chose dinner, B&B, because the chef is in a class of his own! I wish I could have taken him home with me and the charming waiter, Ben!
The hotel is warm, comfortable, clean, relaxing and beautifully decorated. The staff are a joy.
We will be back!

Room Tip: We had dogs so we were allocated a classic double, which was surprisingly good for a "dog"...
1 Thank deborah s
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My Wife and I had a really enjoyable stay at Leathes Head over the weekend of 6/7/8 July. We cannot fault the standard of service, comfort,quality and dinning experience.Great location too being only a few minutes away by car from Keswick. The hotel is under new ownership and it is clear the new guys are making a real effort with a bedroom refurbishment plan well underway.We selected to dine in both evenings and are happy to confirm that the food is of a very high standard, being prepared, cooked and presented with flair.
Our tip for the owners would be to offer a little more choice at breakfast for those who do not wish for something cooked and prefer more of a continental style approach to breakfast.
We stayed in room 5 which is a large very well equiped and newly refurbished bedroom of an exceptional standard. We did notice however that not all the bedrooms were of this standard.

Room Tip: Room 5 is by far the best room in the house.
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We found this hotel from Online reviews.
We had a warm welcome and a very clean and comfortable twin room at the back. Lovely grounds and terrace overlooking the valley.
No twins have baths. Towels v thick and large. Energy saving lights mean poor reading lighting. Dinner good especially the deserts. Some may not appreciate the piped Muzak in the dining room and at breakfast. Breakfast however was quick and v tasty. Recommend to walkers and other tourists.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Southampton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in May and were in the largest room, which is newly decorated and has an enormous fabulous bathroom. You could fit at least a 5 a side team in the shower if you wished. Lovely lilac decor in this room- very 'now' but not in a naff way. You can see a bit of the lake out the window. The Sony Bravia tv in this rooms is gorgeous, as is the spa bath and double sink in the bathroom. There is a vent outside the window which makes a noise but it didn't go on too late or start to early to be disruptive.
As a walker I was very pleased with the location - lovely walks in every direction from flat around the lake to lots of 'up'. It was great to sit in the garden, or indoors, and watch the incredible variety of birds as well. It is handy for buses as well- only a short walk to the bus stop.
As someone who has a life threatening nut allergy I always worry about other people cooking for me but the hotel were excellent at allaying my fears and were prepared to be very flexible about what they made for me should I require it. The food was very good indeed. The service from Ben the waiter was first class - to be honest I don't think i've ever had better - and the other staff were very nice too and extremely helpful.
The only thing I didn't like about the stay was the bed. It was very soft and I find soft beds extremely uncomfortable. I actually had to sleep on top of the duvet. However I am used to sleeping on a firm mattress with a memory foam topper so am particular about these things. I also found the hotel rather hot but I am used to being in a cold house.
I would certainly choose to stay in this hotel again- particularly for the quality of the service. However I would be sure to ask for a room with a firmer mattress next time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Lodore Falls Hotel
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,551 reviews
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Leathes Head? Share your experiences!