I changed my opinion on this hotel during our one night stay in August. We had decided to add an extra night in the Lakes impromptu and after seeing good reviews, we booked a standard room. The staff we met (although we only saw about 2) were friendly. Our room was I felt a bit unexciting, the bland pine furniture making it feel dated. The heating was on which we initially appreciated as there was a nip in the air - but then we tried to adjust the radiator, and the valve seemed to just spin, so we ended up uncomfortably hot for the night -- the hotel is locked at 10.30pm so we did not attempt to find a member of staff to help but just stuck it out. By the morning we were feeling a bit disappointed with the room. However here is where I then changed my mind a little: breakfast was in a charming high-ceiling room with two large bay windows overlooking the grounds. We seemed to be only one of two couples staying, so a window seat was set for us and we enjoyed a very leisurely breakfast looking over the garden and hills/Derwent Water beyond. The choice of breakfast was good and we enjoyed the American breakfast with hash browns. The same man who had checked us in served breakfast and brought extra toast and drinks with a smile. We then took our coffee into the lounge and sat for an hour flicking through magazines and enjoying the view - and felt so thoroughly relaxed that when we checked out, I was fully prepared to give the hotel a good review, despite my initial disappointment.
It would be nice to have newspapers available though - at least in the breakfast room if not delivered to your bedroom on request.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Leathes Head is a magnificent eleven bedroom Edwardian Country House Hotel, situated in the unspoilt Borrowdale Valley. The hotel is set amongst three acres of private grounds and is surrounded by stunning scenery, meandering rivers and some of the most spectacular fells in North West England. With superb views across the valley and easy access to Keswick, this is the perfect place for a relaxing break. The entire Borrowdale Valley is ringed by glorious fells known and loved by seasoned walkers. Lake cruises, water sports, mountain biking trails and plenty of other Lake District activities are all within easy reach of the hotel. We are proud holders of two AA Rosettes for food, and our guests can enjoy dishes prepared using locally sourced ingredients; sit in the traditional bar to enjoy a drink or watch the wildlife from the comfort of the conservatory windows before retiring to one of the individually furnished bedrooms, with views of the surrounding countryside and hotel gardens. The hotel is proud to be nominated two years running for Hotel of the Year in the Cumbria Tourism awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Leathes Head Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leathes Head Country Borrowdale
- Leathes Head Country Hotel
- The Leathes Head Country House Hotel Borrowdale/Keswick