We stayed at Leathes Head for one night only on a DB&B basis.
The setting of the place is delightful - in beautiful countryside but 3 miles or so out of Keswick. Plenty of places to go for a stroll before dinner - we were out for 2 hours on a lesiurely stroll down to the lake etc - you dont need all the walking gear for that!
We stayed in room 5 which is just a classic bedroom - it was very clean and comfortable and contained everything that we needed. It looks like the bathroom had just been refurbished as it had a lovely walk in shower and a spa bath (although there was not enough hot water to fill it as the hotel was having "boiler issues" - i found out the next morning!) There were fantastic views over the fields to the lake in the distance - truly delightful.
Our evening meal was very good and the wine list relatively inexpensive - very good value. My only complaint was that i had cod on a risotto base as a main course and the whole thing was tasteless. It wasn't bad enough to send back but just disappointing, although i may have been expecting too much after my 'wild boar burger' starter which was exceptional. Breakfast was also excellent - plenty of food and very tasty indeed.
The staff were all very friendly and it was a very nice place to be.
Overall, for the price we paid, i don't think you could stay anywhere better. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Leathes Head is a magnificent eleven bedroom Edwardian Country House Hotel, situated in the unspoilt Borrowdale Valley. The hotel is set amongst three acres of private grounds and is surrounded by stunning scenery, meandering rivers and some of the most spectacular fells in North West England. With superb views across the valley and easy access to Keswick, this is the perfect place for a relaxing break. The entire Borrowdale Valley is ringed by glorious fells known and loved by seasoned walkers. Lake cruises, water sports, mountain biking trails and plenty of other Lake District activities are all within easy reach of the hotel. We are proud holders of two AA Rosettes for food, and our guests can enjoy dishes prepared using locally sourced ingredients; sit in the traditional bar to enjoy a drink or watch the wildlife from the comfort of the conservatory windows before retiring to one of the individually furnished bedrooms, with views of the surrounding countryside and hotel gardens. The hotel is proud to be nominated two years running for Hotel of the Year in the Cumbria Tourism awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Agoda so you can book your The Leathes Head Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leathes Head Country Borrowdale
- Leathes Head Country Hotel
- The Leathes Head Country House Hotel Borrowdale/Keswick