Recently our party of 5 stayed 5 nights at the Leathes Head Country House Hotel. Before going, I gleaned information from Tripadvisor which was mostly helpful. Our rooms were comfortable and roomy, and although we were unable to get the double aspect rooms, we still had wonderful views from our rooms.
Roy and Janice, the hosts, went out of their way to be friendly, helpful and accommodating. We arrived straight from our overnight flight from the US to Manchester and when I mentioned to Roy that we had had no lunch, he immediately went to the kitchen and rounded up tea, sandwiches and cake. We were most grateful. One day I was ill with a stomach upset and he graciously sent a tray of bread and assorted light things for me to nibble on if I could. That was a life saver.
Breakfast is fresh, cooked to order English. Dinner is outstanding every night with no repeats (not that we would have minded, it was that good!).
The grounds are lovely, with a nice "outdoor sitting room" where guests can gather in the early evening before dinner. Roy would bring us drinks and we would chat about the day's events. Indoors, there are 3 rooms linked together and each set up for comfortable seating and conversation. I have stayed in many country house hotels throughout Europe and this is the friendliest of all. The guests seem to all feel at home and it is reflected in the constant conversation. Staying 5 nights helps with this as it allows time for getting to know people enough for a real conversation.
The only thing that was a bit misleading in other reviews is the ease of transportation - and I think this is a matter background. We did not have our own car but were picked up daily by a driver/ guide for touring the area. If we wanted to go to Keswick (the nearest town), the boat on the Lake or the bus were available. Perhaps if you are used to flagging down a bus, walking a good little bit to a bus stop or to the boat launch, then this would not seem like a big deal. But to us car dependent Texans, we found the distance required to catch public transportation a bit inconvenient. Luckily it didn't matter in this case, but I would recommend having a car if you want to see the area. If you are just coming to walk or rest, then you are in a perfect place, even without a car.
One last recommendation: Read the books by Martin Edwards - The Coffin Trail, The Cipher Garden and the Arsenic Labryinth for an interesting and fun read about the area. And if you want outstanding guides for driving tours or for walking short or long trails, contact Cumbrian Discoveries. They are the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Leathes Head is a magnificent eleven bedroom Edwardian Country House Hotel, situated in the unspoilt Borrowdale Valley. The hotel is set amongst three acres of private grounds and is surrounded by stunning scenery, meandering rivers and some of the most spectacular fells in North West England. With superb views across the valley and easy access to Keswick, this is the perfect place for a relaxing break. The entire Borrowdale Valley is ringed by glorious fells known and loved by seasoned walkers. Lake cruises, water sports, mountain biking trails and plenty of other Lake District activities are all within easy reach of the hotel. We are proud holders of two AA Rosettes for food, and our guests can enjoy dishes prepared using locally sourced ingredients; sit in the traditional bar to enjoy a drink or watch the wildlife from the comfort of the conservatory windows before retiring to one of the individually furnished bedrooms, with views of the surrounding countryside and hotel gardens. The hotel is proud to be nominated two years running for Hotel of the Year in the Cumbria Tourism awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your The Leathes Head reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leathes Head Country Borrowdale
- Leathes Head Country Hotel
- The Leathes Head Borrowdale/Keswick