“Afternoon tea - lovely”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My friend and I took the ferry from Keswick over to Hawse End and walked around Derwentwater and back to Keswick stopping off for afternoon tea at the Lodore Falls Hotel. Rather than the full afternoon tea we opted for scones, jam and cream and tea. The scones were warm and light, the jam was full of flavour and the cream was clotted and not whipped or squirty as often found in some teashops. We ordered at the bar and the tea was served to us in the garden by very professional waiters. The bill was perhaps a bit more than you would pay in other establishments but in my opinion was worth it. I will return.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have just come back from staying one night in this lovely hotel,we stayed in the fells room 111 and it was really clean and quite a good size and very comfy, we upgraded to the five course meal in the resturant and it was delicious and served by very attentive and professional staff,had a very comfy nights sleep,I loved the waterfalls in the grounds and the views are amazing,I cant recommend enough thankyou.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Lodore Falls Hotel for one night and ate dinner in the restaurant and breakfast the following morning. The food was of a very high standard on both occasions, but the dinner was excellent. There was a separate vegetarian menu which was a pleasant surprise and the mushroom ravioli (if memory serves, I was meanwhile tucking into duck) was pronounced absolutely delicious, as was the beef fillet my husband had and the other vegetarian (lentil) dish. There is an extensive wine list and we enjoyed a lovely Sancerre and some very drinkable house red. As we all love cheese we had an assortment between us - all good - so I cannot comment on the tasty sounding desserts. The service was impeccable throughout. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

After a strenuous day walking the lovely fells we called at the Lodore Falls Hotel for a late lunch. What a wonderful comfy hotel with large sofas and chairs you can sink into and quirky little sections with real fires and decent food.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The setting was great and the meal pricey enough to lead you to expect something a little bit special. Sadly though it fell short rather short of expectations. My starter of smoked slices of poultry was good and beautifully presented on a round slate. Unfortunately after that it went downhill. The main, seared cod placed on top of a stack of four jumbo chips looked rather silly and the accompanying pea puree was oversalted almost to the point of being inedible. Meanwhile my dessert of sticky toffee pudding was so over sweet that a few spoonfuls were more than enough. However friends I was with, who ate the same courses seemed to enjoy their meal, hence a three star review rather than just two.