“Tasteless food in a dated restaurant”

Lodore Falls Lake View Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Borrowdale
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I read the reviews on here and thought, yes, all good, I will eat there when I go on holiday. I have just read them again as can't believe this is the same restaurant!! Dining room not really what I expected, very old fashioned (as in worn 80s decor) and dated but it was clean. Restaurant full but guessing (after having eaten there) they were guests staying there on half/full board basis and therefore obliged to eat there. Reminded me of Faulty Towers! Not a good start as difficulty making the booking. As soon as I mentioned I wanted to use a restaurant card; buy 1 5 course menu, get 1 free, attitude changed. Had to call back twice as the lady didn't call me back as promised to confirm booking. When I asked why she didn't call me back, she didn't apologise and just said, 'Too busy'! What for 2 days?? So, not a good start but menu on their website looked appetising. On arrival seated and offered a cheaper 3 course menu as an alternative - no thank you. Menu not the same one as the one on their website and not the same price either so worth checking when you make the booking. 'Amuse buche' is the first course! This consisted of an inch long piece of noodle, 1 pea and a couple of strands of deep fried what I can only guess to be minced beef - crunchy. I should have noticed when choosing the starter that king scallop is written in the singular. Tiny queen (at best) scallop - yes just the 1 with a couple of pea shoots and a tiny smear of dressing. Very tasty but didn't fill a tooth. Raspberry sorbet very good but way too sweet and only suitable as a dessert, certainly not to refresh the palate. Venison carved very thinly and looked and tasted like roast beef from the deli counter. Didn't ask how I wanted it and, in my opinion, overcooked as dry and tasteless. Served with piped dry potato and a tablespoon of something like ratatouille underneath. No sauce. Needed lots of water just to eat it. So I had all hope dessert would reprieve the restaurant so asked the waitress what the woman at the next table was eating served on a slate plate as it looked delicious. Not sure what she served but it wasn't what I asked for. Staff very polite but slightly abrupt and miserable and English definitely not their forte. Coffee served in the lounge with sickly petit fours. Wine; chose a glass of Sauvignon Blanc to have with the starter. I had to send it back as not cold and it was of poor quality when it returned. Service very fast - in and out in well under an hour. Menu not worth £42.50 for 2. Should have gone to the Cottage in the Woods. There's a reason they are offering 2 for 1 - don't get anything for nothing!

2  Thank LokiLaaLaa

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We called in at the Lodore Falls hotel for a bite to eat, it was a busy Saturday lunchtime, and we hadn't booked. You can choose to either eat lunch in the formal restaurant (which looked very nice ) or more informally in the hotel lounge bar area. As we only wanted a mid day snack, we entered the lounge bar, which was fairly busy. We went to the bar to order the drinks and food, having quickly scanned the menu beforehand, deciding we fancied soup and a sandwich. So we were rather taken aback by the sarcastic attitude of one member of staff, named 'Jake'. As we gave him our order, we asked him what choice of sandwiches were available, he rolled his eyes then said ' Have you not seen the menu ? ' His colleague alongside was aware of his curt manner but didn't say anything. We both looked at the menu again & said, ok, beef would be fine thanks ! Unfortunately people with this unprofessional manner should not be in the hospitality industry , no matter how busy they are !! However, the food arrived promptly and the quality of the beef was excellent and the soup broth was tasty so no complaints here. We would definitely return again as we thought the dressed crab, fries & aioli looked a good choice for next time !

4  Thank Angie367
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We visited the Lodore Falls lake view restaurant and we had the 5course option, the food was 1st class and the service excellent it couldn't have been better and we will definitely return.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Booked 2 nights via Secret Escapes. Its not cheap but as with anything you get what you pay for. From arrival to leaving it was faultless. The staff are ultra attentive and incredibly polite. The food is top drawer. Not your usual pub grub. Smaller portions but presented with style and tasting like heaven. Breakfast is table served to order and again first rate. The rooms and all decor in the hotel are stylish clean and very comfortable. The leisure facilities are well maintained and worth a visit....indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub( free but bookable in 20 minute slots) plus a small but decent gym. Not a criticism of the hotel but more the standard of British staff available or willing in this day and age is that virtually all staff are foreign,,,,,again reiterating not a criticism as the staff are well spoken incredibly polite and have first class local knowledge. Would recommend without hesitatation a visit to this hotel

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went along to the Lodore for Afternoon Tea and Lake Cruise. We had our dog with us and as arranged we sat in the dog friendly area of the hotel which was lovely. The Afternoon Tea was second to none and there was not only lashings of fab fresh food, the service was excellent and topping up our pot of tea was no problem. Although our cruise on the Lake didn't happen because the water was too low for the boat to moor at the jetty, we were more than happy with a walk down to the Lakeside before leaving. A lovely afternoon and well worth a visit. Great to visit a nice hotel, who is dog friendly offering excellent service and food to match.