“Tired hotel with tired staff....”

Ennerdale Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cleator
Thurso, United Kingdom
“Tired hotel with tired staff....”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were recommended this hotel by a colleague who had been there a few years ago. I think the owners have either changed hands or have lost interest
The Hotel is set in lovely grounds but I'm afraid that's about it! The gardens are immaculate and are very pleasant to relax in with a glass of wine after a day in the office.
Most of the Staff were friendly and helpful however there were a couple of members of staff that let the hotel down. We arrived late and washed up before meeting in the bar. I was a little disappointed when the barman had shut the bar without asking us if we would like another drink. Understandably hotels choose when to shut their bars but as a resident It would have been nice if we were asked if we required anything more prior to the bar being shut.
The decor is very dated and the rooms and bathrooms require some drastic modernisation. The window frames are rotten and this causes some difficulty if you require to open your window for fresh air. It was very hot!
The breakfast was good with a good choice of both continental and full English dishes. The head waiter for breakfast was excellent however on the day he wasn't present it seemed to be a bit of bother to get a warm croissant!!
The wifi was non existent and when we queried the staff about the signal we were told that it didn't seem to be working that day and the next and the next
Overall not a great stay!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the gardens at the rear offer a nice vue and are very quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Brian G, Manager at Ennerdale Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at The Ennerdale.
I was sorry to note your disappointment with certain aspects with your stay, but can assure you they are at present being addressed.
The situation with the wi-fi was due to a problem external to the hotel affecting the guest wi-fi system. This has since been addressed, but was frustrating that it took almost a week for the system to be re-programmed. We are however looking at upgrading the whole guest wi-fi system to give a more reliable and stronger strength through out the whole hotel.
There is also a schedule being completed at present for the upgrading of the bedrooms. This will be starting in the near future and will be a big positive in addressing a number of adverse comments.
Caroline a new member to the management team will be addressing aspects of service standards which will enhance the guests stay.
If your business allows ( or pleasure ) I would like to welcoming your self back to the Ennerdale Hotel and show you the ongoing improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I love charming old hotels with a lot of history and I appreciate a professional staff that makes their guests feel welcome. The Ennerdale Country House Hotel has both of these qualities. The room is comfortable and clean. The breakfast was made to order and delicious. We also ate dinner there tonight and it was lovely. I would definitely stay here again because it worked well for our coast to coast walk.

Room Tip: We have a 3 person room and it is perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jayne S
NorthWestEngland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed on Saturday night (7th June) - myself and 2 sons sharing a 3-bed room. Great location, friendly staff, good breakfast, clean and tidy, large and airy. Will stay again when we're back next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle under lyme
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After reading other comments via trip advisor I arrived open minded but was quick to appreciate the comments made about the hotels tired apprearence.
When pulling up on the car park I didn't even recognise the hotel from the pictures at first as these are taken from the back off the hotel.
It's a shame because this hotel has alot of pertential, it is a lovely building set in lovely grounds but just needs a little love and attention. The outside needs a good repaint, furniture in the room was tatty and ripped covered with dirty doilies .
The gardens were disappointing also, not like in the pictures and the fountain was never turned on during our stay which was a shame.
Overall the room was ok, I managed to get a good price and therefore wasn't too disappointed.
I would have been though if I had paid the original asking price.
I stayed here for a special occasion with my partner as it was the cheapest available in the area offering a four poster bed with jacuzzi bath ( which we didn't end up getting)
The breakfast was delicious though. Staff were very friendly and polite although we didn't have much need if them once we had checked in. I emailed the hotel a few days before our arrival to request a later check out time and I had an almost immediate response which was fantastic and they offered me an extra hour for no additional charge which I thought was very kind.
This hotel allows dogs too which I'm all for being a dog owner myself but was a little horrified to open the small balcony/varander doors in the morning and find a rather large piece of poo on the floor. Well at least I presume it was dog poo! It had been there for some time.
So overall, it was ok, but we travelled for over 3 hours to get there and unfortunately I have to be honest and say it wasn't worth the drive. We probably would not return .

• Stayed June 2014
clairefitch
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I have just returned from ECHH and we had a brilliant time. The staff were brilliant happy and helpful, the chambermaids did a very good job even folding up our clothes, the building itself is very nice inside with a rustic charm, and the gardens are glorious. Very good value and the distance from local attractions such as Ennerdale Water, Whitehaven, and Cockermouth was reasonable in the car. My only gripe is that the room we stayed in was a little bit run down , but not massively don't get me wrong, I can imagine it would cost A LOT of money to revamp the whole hotel and it is quaint as it is. Thank you Ennerdale xx

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank clairefitch
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel is situated close to some of the UK's most outstanding scenery in the West Lakes.
On arrival into the car park I thought the outside looked a tad dated however the building does date back to AD868! My eye was distratced to the hotel growns which are stunning.
the hotel recpetion area isvery grand and the resturant is beautiful with large windows looking out to the grounds and large portrait paintings hanging on the wall.
I chose to eat in the bar which was vrey nice and the food (Cream of Tomoato Soup, Chicken Breat stuffed with Haggis & Strawberry Eton Messe) was delicious, really, really nice. Breakfast was good too.
However, the down side, when I opened the door to my room (Room 22) I was greeted with cream plain walls and two vey small window with privacy glass so I couldnt see out. However when I did a 360 degree look around the room wasnt has bad as first impression. It also had a massive bathroom too.

Room Tip: Room 22 did have free wi-fo but it didn't work!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this Hotel on 24th & 25th May. Staff were very friendly & made you feel welcome. A bit off the beaten track, a lovely Hotel with great food & reasonable prices. Would definitely visit this Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleator
Grove Court Hotel
#1 of 14 in Whitehaven
Parkside Hotel
Parkside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cleator

Been to Ennerdale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!