Thanet Well Lodge Retreat
Stafford House(Greystoke)(Great Value!)
US$116
The Boot & Shoe(Greystoke)
TripAdvisor
Beech House(Greystoke)
All reviewshot tubwalk in wardrobesmall shop on sitewashing machinenearest supermarketlake districton arrivalfridge freezerwelcome packminute driveboot shoedvd playermaster bedroomfully equipped kitchenlong weekendmain bedroomsat nav
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in a superior VIP lodge (no 29) with a hot tub. Lodge itself was very nice, modern inside with a lovely lounge/kitchen/dining area and 2 very clean bathrooms and bedrooms. There was a little bit of mould in the en-suite shower and strange stain on the wall, but apart from this very good.

Our main complaint was the beds, which were horrendously uncomfortable. They are obviously very cheap and well worn - the double bed had visible dips in it and the area where the 2 bottom parts of the bed fitted together dug in your hips. All of the beds also had very cheap waterproof mattress covers on them, which make you sweat when in bed and are totally unnecessary. I stay in hotels a lot for work and rarely come across mattress protectors like this. The quality of the beds in what was supposed to be a superior lodge, did kind of spoil our holiday - when you don't sleep well, everything always seems worse! I am not the first person to make comments about the rubbish beds, several other people have, and yet they seem to have been ignored! My score would have been 5 if the beds had been good.

I also requested that the light above the bed was fixed (as I like to read in bed and also had to put the light on in the middle of the night for any loo trips). Lady on reception said she would get someone to sort this out, but still hadn't been fixed by day 2 of our holiday. So I asked if anyone had been to fix it. A different lady on reception very stroppily told me that of course the maintenance man had been in to try and fix it but couldn't as he felt it needed an electrician. So when I said that it wouldn't be fixed during our stay, she gave me a really filthy look and said "there is no way someone will come out here at a weekend to fix it". Whilst I appreciate this, I did not appreciate her tone and I also stated that maybe someone could have taken the time to leave me a little note to say this in the lodge, rather than me having to come back to reception and complain again. Again, with a major strop on she said she would pass my message on. A few other people in other reviews have commented on the attitude of a certain person at reception, so not sure why this hasn't been dealt with. All of the other ladies on reception were very nice.

Apart from the beds and the serious attitude problem at reception we did enjoy ourselves and thought the lodge was very nice and clean. The hot tub was amazing and we went in it, despite it blowing a gale and raining - it was divine! As other reviewers have mentioned, it would be nicer if the hot tub was a bit more private, as you do feel a bit on show, but it didn't stop us going in it.

Views were lovely and overall we had a good time. We weren't really bothered by the remote location as it did say this on the website, but we did need our sat nav. As this was supposed to be a break from work, it was probably a really good thing that the mobile and wi-fi reception were rubbish - but just be aware of this if you need to be contactable.

PLEASE sort out the beds and the stroppy mare at reception - take notice of what your customers are telling you!!!

Room Tip: Lodge 29 has a fairly good view although there is another row of lodges in front, but slightly lower down. Hot tub is partly sunken in the deck and can really only be seen by 4 lodges, with the one next door over looking it the most. Check they have sorted out the beds first, if you are thinking of requesting this lodge though!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Booked a Desire lodge and luckily after speaking with Hoseseasons to check on the view, established that a privately owned Desire Plus lodge had been made available for rent with uninterrupted views. Upgraded to this which also included flowers, champagne and chocs, fluffy dressing gowns and slippers which were a very nice touch indeed and well worth the cost of the upgrade.
The lodge (no.15) at the top of the hill, provided elevated, breathtaking views across the fells, a fabulously stylish, very clean luxury lodge with all modern and new fittings and with a fantastic hot tub. Despite the weather and strong winds, we still all managed to use the hot tub all weekend.
As previous reviews have mentioned, the hot tub area should be made more private from your neighbours.
The bathroom doors could also do with some hooks on the back of them to hang your gowns (minor point but point worth mentioning again).
Other than that, the lodge accommodation was exceptional in terms of cleanliness, spacious, quality of fittings, heating, TV + plenty of channels, open plan lounge with spectacular views etc etc etc...
The park is very secluded, and we found it difficult to find despite Hoseseasons directions. Sat nav brought us off M6 one junction earlier and written directions therefore then sent us ‘around the houses’ and into Penrith.
If you are looking for a lively village or town in the immediate vicinity of the park, then this is not the place for you. If you want a peaceful break and ‘away from it all’ to enjoy the views and lots of walks , then this will be for you. It is about 40 minute drive to Lake Windermere and only 25mins approx to Keswick which is well worth the visit through the narrow country lanes. Make sure you take everything you require with you as there are no shops nearby, however the park/reception does have a shop which they can open for you to sell you any essentials you have forgotten which is very handy.
Having relied on previous reviews, we ventured out to the ‘Boot & Shoe Pub’ one evening for a meal and wished we had eaten in instead. Very, very disappointing, lacking in personal service, and the food quality was far from what we had expected and therefore, sadly we would not recommend. Instead, we would recommend driving into Keswick where you have a vast choice of lovely restaurants to cater for your varying tastes.

All in all, we will definitely go back to Thanet Well – probably the best park/lodge we have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a lodge with uninterrupted views + hot tub. Well worth it.! Pity you can't book the weather..! :(
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wardI80
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked this lodge to take my mum away for a few days much needed rest. Superior VIP 2 with hot tub. The lodge itself was nice very clean , The hot tub is not completely fenced off, and not private enough for me . Could do with somewhere to hang towels/ dressing gown outside. Thanet lodge park is very secluded. If you are looking for a lively village or town this is not the place for you. If you want a peaceful break with beautiful views go for it. It is about 40 minute drive to lake Windermere. Make sure you take everthing you require as there are no shops near by.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have stayed here twice now in two different lodges and on both occasions have been blown away by the lodges. They are modern, clean and set in a beautiful location. A little remote so a car is needed however so many wonderful places to visit. The local pub The Boot and Shoe in Greystoke is truly a home from home. Filled with locals and their dogs, farmers with pheasants and the food is to die for - make sure you book early. We are already looking forwards to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Every valentines week/ weekend we go to a cabin, this year we was in lodge 28, apparently a 'superior VIP 3.' Im going to start with the only negative point as there was nothing at all superior about it, it was just a standard cabin. Maybe i've been spoilt for choice with the last one we went too in 2013, but it was a little disappointing. Even though it is the only negative, it was quite a big issue for me, mainly because it was described as superior. Anyway, it was a spacious cabin, and had more than what you needed in there I.e cutlery, utensils, washing machine, dishwasher and it was kept clean. The two owners there were lovely, and did what they could to make you feel settled and welcome, anything you need to know they are happy to help. Me and my Fiance did like it here though because of its surroundings, we enjoyed walking and venturing in to the lake district which is stunning!! The hot tub was good, unfortunately the cover kept blowing off so it made it freezing after one day :/ whilst we was there we had the bad storms and high winds of about 100mph+, typical eh, Our cabin was the only one to have a power cut, but within 5 mins there were people from the site to our rescue, thankyou! All in all I did enjoy myself, but I did expect a superior cabin that should have had a more VIP standard, I think a bit of modernising and upgrading and it would be perfect, especially the bathrooms! The beds are very uncomfortable too and the hot tub area should be much more private :( Lastly, it is slightly out of the way of towns etc, so you need to be willing to drive to the nearest store for food/ shopping too. I guess it makes it more exciting though :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple