“Nice place”

Thanet Well Lodge Retreat
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival we where given Lodge number 84 vip with a hot tub. The interior of the lodge was outdated, and light shades missing of living room lights, on the bathroom cabinet there was blue tack instead of a catch to hold the door shut. The electric went off and the hot tub did not work as the controls were broken on it. Not much storage in main bedroom, no drawers for clothing I would of. We were given a choice to move to another Lodge number 82 vip which was much better, hot tub worked fine and we were always in it several times a day over 7 days. The two twin rooms have plenty of storage space and drawers and big wardrobe for clothing the lodge was great despite issues with first Lodge the 2nd Lodge was great and would recommend number 82 vip Lodge will be def coming back. Very nice for a quiet holiday as it is very remote, boot and shoe in Greystoke amazing for food. Lovely scenery and walks, there is a forest nearby and it's lovely.
The staff at thanet well are very polite and welcoming. The shop on the site doesn't stock that much but Morrisons is about 15min drive at penrith.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Thanet Well Lodge Retreat

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We booked a Desire Lodge for a special occasion, definately not the luxury we were expecting. Door handle hanging off, venition blinds to side windows and patio doors had slats missing and some broken so no privacy, stained sofas, gaps in tops of patio doors so wind howling through, fire broken, 3 tier rusty shelf in bathroom broken and proped up against wall, no mirrors in any rooms only in bathroom, so unable to do you hair and bedroom. Went and discussed with manager who did send someone to fix door hand and shelf and offered to refund us when we got back home. We asked if we could move to another lodge as it wasn't about the money we just wanted the luxury experience that we had paid for and we were told that all lodges we occupied, a blatant lie as there were several that we saw were empty!!
So when we came home we did as manager had suggested and contacted Hoseasons for a refund, surprise surprise, Thanet Well did not reply to any emails from Hoseasons and 3 weeks later Hoseason refunded our money themselves as a gesture of good will, Thank you Hoseasons. We will not be returning to Thanetwell and will not recommend them to anyone else!!

3  Thank joeden69
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed for three nights from the 28th March for my 40th birthday. The log cabins were great, clean and loads of storage space.we were there with our two children.mother in law and father in law and Two dogs.my sister and her family stayed in a separate cabin near us. These were by far the best log cabins we have stayed in. Our microwave didnt work.we told them and they were straight out replacing it with a new one.the only complaint I have was on our last night the young couples in the log cabin next to us partied to about 2.30am and kept us awake. Apart from that we have just got back and booked up straight away to go back in july.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank wendyembleton
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed for our honeymoon the last week in March in the Desire Lodge (Lodge 1) The Lodge is amazing beautifully decorated, immaculate and has every amenity you would ever need including a wine fridge :0) the view from the hot tub was just stunning. The lodges are ideally placed for travelling round the lake district but are also far enough away from the big towns to be very peaceful. The only thing I could fault with the lodge is the bed, the mattress was paper thin so you could feel every spring and also there is a sky light right above the bed that has a white blind over it so as soon as the sun is up so are you. Apart from that it is a lovely lodge and a lovely place, we will certainly be returning.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Group of six girls stayed from Fri to Monday-we knew it was in a remote setting, but we wanted a "get away from it all" type of weekend! The hot tub really made our weekend, it was great but I had trouble sleeping at night as I could hear it bubbling away all night...The park itself is lovely, and the lodges are clean and well presented - however, there were missing lamp shades and the toilet seat was loose, and as yo have to leave a deposit of £50 for risk of damages etc, we had to go tell them about a list of issues as soon as we arrived. For a lodge of six there was only seating for four in the sitting room, and hardly enough place mats for the table but I'm being pretty petty now!! Would I go again? Probably not. However, we had a great time and needed to re-charge our batteries which we achieved. Saw a few families arrive but think it would be too boring for them, would be great for couples!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to Thanet Wells. We have just come back from a 4 night stay in lodge 72. This dog friendly lodge was perfect for us and our siberian husky. Spotlessly clean inside for a dog friendly lodge. The lodge could not be faulted in any way. i love the enclosed balcony were you can let your dog out without fear of them escaping. Dishwasher and washing machine were a bonus. Phone reception was really poor but that is no fault of the Parks. They do have Wifi but the signal was low were we were situated. Overall another fantastic visit. I take my hat off to the cleaners as they do a fantastic job in preparing the lodges. Looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in a superior VIP lodge (no 29) with a hot tub. Lodge itself was very nice, modern inside with a lovely lounge/kitchen/dining area and 2 very clean bathrooms and bedrooms. There was a little bit of mould in the en-suite shower and strange stain on the wall, but apart from this very good.

Our main complaint was the beds, which were horrendously uncomfortable. They are obviously very cheap and well worn - the double bed had visible dips in it and the area where the 2 bottom parts of the bed fitted together dug in your hips. All of the beds also had very cheap waterproof mattress covers on them, which make you sweat when in bed and are totally unnecessary. I stay in hotels a lot for work and rarely come across mattress protectors like this. The quality of the beds in what was supposed to be a superior lodge, did kind of spoil our holiday - when you don't sleep well, everything always seems worse! I am not the first person to make comments about the rubbish beds, several other people have, and yet they seem to have been ignored! My score would have been 5 if the beds had been good.

I also requested that the light above the bed was fixed (as I like to read in bed and also had to put the light on in the middle of the night for any loo trips). Lady on reception said she would get someone to sort this out, but still hadn't been fixed by day 2 of our holiday. So I asked if anyone had been to fix it. A different lady on reception very stroppily told me that of course the maintenance man had been in to try and fix it but couldn't as he felt it needed an electrician. So when I said that it wouldn't be fixed during our stay, she gave me a really filthy look and said "there is no way someone will come out here at a weekend to fix it". Whilst I appreciate this, I did not appreciate her tone and I also stated that maybe someone could have taken the time to leave me a little note to say this in the lodge, rather than me having to come back to reception and complain again. Again, with a major strop on she said she would pass my message on. A few other people in other reviews have commented on the attitude of a certain person at reception, so not sure why this hasn't been dealt with. All of the other ladies on reception were very nice.

Apart from the beds and the serious attitude problem at reception we did enjoy ourselves and thought the lodge was very nice and clean. The hot tub was amazing and we went in it, despite it blowing a gale and raining - it was divine! As other reviewers have mentioned, it would be nicer if the hot tub was a bit more private, as you do feel a bit on show, but it didn't stop us going in it.

Views were lovely and overall we had a good time. We weren't really bothered by the remote location as it did say this on the website, but we did need our sat nav. As this was supposed to be a break from work, it was probably a really good thing that the mobile and wi-fi reception were rubbish - but just be aware of this if you need to be contactable.

PLEASE sort out the beds and the stroppy mare at reception - take notice of what your customers are telling you!!!

Room Tip: Lodge 29 has a fairly good view although there is another row of lodges in front, but slightly lower...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greystoke
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 6 in Bassenthwaite
Whitbarrow Village
Whitbarrow Village
#1 of 2 in Berrier

Been to Thanet Well Lodge Retreat? Share your experiences!