“Embletons”

and 1 more site!
Thanet Well Lodge Retreat
“Embletons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at these lodges for the second time this year and they are excellent. The owners are lovely people and cant do enough for you.we had booked a 4 bedroom and they upgraded us to a 6 bedroom one with a utility room and bigger television. Which came in very handy as we have children and dogs. If I was being picky the only fault I can find is the shower room does have a bit of limescale but that does not alter the fact that these log cabins are superb. We will definately be coming back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy E

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My wife son and I stayed in a superior vip 2 lodge. On arrival I found the staff pleasant enough,when we walked into the lodge we were very disappointed to say the least. The lodge was dirty around the work tops,couch and the master bedroom bathroom had lots of lime scale. To be honest the whole lodge looked dated, the view was nice but the window desperately need cleaning. I spent 2 hours cleaning before we unpacked. we couldn't use the hot tub because of the water quality according to the staff was poor. We took our son to the play area again very poor. you need to drive 9 miles to the nearest supermarket as the shop on site has very little to choose from. All in all We would not go back. It is a shame It does not live upto how its shown on hoseasons site.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
North East England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just spent a lovely week here with my husband and our one-year-old after the site was recommended from a friend and we found a special offer online. We loved the site and loved our lodge, it was alot more spacious than we were expecting and very child-friendly for our toddler to run around and explore. It was spotless on our arrival. There was loads of storage space, probably more than our 3-bed house!! My husband and I loved the peaceful evenings sitting on our balcony after our daughter had gone to bed. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

But a few minor niggles - ours (71) was one of two lodges on site without a washing machine - bit of a pain with a messy toddler and we'd packed minimal clothes thinking we'd be able to wash them during the week. But big thanks to the lady at reception who did two washes for us! No bath plug, we used the one from kitchen sink which didn't really fit properly. Very uncomfortable mattress on the double bed, although we got used to it as week went on. Shower doors in the en-suite were pretty much hanging off.

The site really is in the middle of nowhere and has no on-site entertainment facilities (apart from kids play area) so be prepared to travel, which we didn't mind. The Boot and Shoe pub at Greystoke has an amazing garden out the back with lots of games for kids, we had a lovely evening meal there (food served in the evenings from 6pm) while our toddler kept herself entertained.

Room Tip: As we checked out, receptionist told us to ring the site directly next time when we book as its chea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ilovethenortheast
Hull, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My daughter, myself and my parents have just had a week at Thanet Well lodges and I have to admit to being disappointed.

I'm guessing that they started off on the wrong foot by ringing me 4 days before my much anticipated holiday to say that we would not have the hot tub as they were all being taken out of service that week for 'maintenance'. So I booked this lodge specifically for the hot tub and the views and 50% of that was already going to be missing.

We finally found the site and was pleasantly surprised by the space in the lodge (we stayed in lodge 12) and on first impression it looked modern, clean, spacious and the views from the picture windows were stunning even in the rain and they just got better throughout the week :) however as the week progressed I became more disappointed with what was sold as a "superior VIP" lodge. It was far from superior being a bit worn and shabby and just not what I was expecting for a £700+ per week accommodation.

The walls were painted but then had been patched with a different shade which looked shabby, the door locks were faulty taking several attempts to lock them, the main bedroom door didn't shut properly offering no privacy, the water system I still never worked out as it ran uber hot for 20 seconds, then ran cold and by the time it ran hit again the cold had negated any of the hot hence my poor daughter having lukewarm baths and don't get me started on the beds!! They were by far the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in ever with the thinnest, cheapest pillows and duvets. For "superior VIP" I would have least expected decent feather pillows!! Everything throughout was the cheapest most basic things with no little extras like soap or some washing up liquid, spare bin liners etc or even a pint of milk in the fridge would have been nice as the on site shop was never open and I'm sure things are left behind by people such as I left liquid soap as the dispenser wouldn't shut to take home but I'm guessing that won't have been left for the next inhabitants instead squirrelled away by the cleaning company. Other simple things like operating instructions for the oven, dishwasher etc, information on the local area would have been handy plus a list of emergency contacts which are things I've always had wherever I've stayed in the past.

The oven blew all the electrics on the Sunday evening and the guy came over but couldn't do much other than tell us to just keep switching it back on and cook in 10 min stints as this was the longest it would stay on before tripping. We were told on the Monday that the oven was unfixable so was given the keys to a neighbouring lodge to use their oven as a new oven would be a couple of day however all week went by without a new one arriving. We were given the option of moving but with one child and two disabled people in the party the option of moving was a lot of trouble plus I had paid for the lodge with a view not a lodge further up the park!!

The lodges were also quite close together with just parking for one car and if the hot tub had of been working there was certainly no privacy from neighbouring lodges who both looked straight onto the decking were the hot tub was situated.

All in all did I feel like I was staying in a superior lodge? No!! Did I feel like a VIP? No!! Would I return?? Highly unlikely!!

Room Tip: Opt for a lodge with a view it's worth it. We stayed lodge 12 - stunning uninterrupted views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaz502
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Booked a Mon-Fri holiday with my family and wasn't disappointed! Ok, so it was a little (read a lot) difficult to find but once there we were over the moon.
The log cabin was spotless with more enough room for the five of us.
The hot tub was fantastic, the views were amazing and the staff very helpful.
Would love to go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ustwoJnA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Myself, partner and our two dogs stayed in lodge 77. The weather wasn't the best on the wknd we stayed but it didn't stop us getting out and about. When we were forced to stay in, the lodge was the best place to be to just listen to the rain on the roof and unwind, it hasn't a hot tub or view but that didn't matter the quality of the lodge more than made up for it. All of the staff we happened to meet were very friendly and helpful from reception to maintenance guys to cleaners all were more than happy to help should you need. In conclusion we would deffinately return if we get the chance!

• Stayed May 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We ave just returned from a 3-night stay in lodge 14. Okay - it was not the Hilton BUT it was clean, spacious, had views that were magical and changed every 5 minutes or less (better than the TV which we hardly used). There were 2 bathrooms one with a shower over bath and the other with a walk-in shower. Beautiful white towels on our beds. Kitchen was more than adequate - we were on a relaxing weekend not a cookery course. The lounge area was big enough for us all to sit and see the amazing views in comfort and the hot tub, well words fail me. The wind was blowing a gale, it was chilly (not cold) and the hot tub was out of this world. We went in every night and chilled out in the heat! The site staff were welcoming, friendly and informative - nothing was too much trouble - brilliant. If you want rest and relaxaion - this is the place to go and the cost was less than £100 each for the 3-night stay. Excellent value. Hopefully we will be visiting again in the very near future - it would be daft not to!

Room Tip: The superior VIP suites have the best views anywhere in the UK and beyond.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FMD55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greystoke
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Keswick Country House Hotel
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Thanet Well Lodge Retreat? Share your experiences!