“Quick bite and a pint”

The Woolpack Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Boot
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: On a small road between the Boot Inn and Hardknot pass.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Quick bite and a pint”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stopped here for something to eat on a Monday night. We ordered Cumberland sausage with chips and gravy and Yorkshire pudding, which I can definitely recommend. I also had a very nice pint of local ale which was recommended by the bartender who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
The pub was comfortable and convenient. I'd definitely go again.

• Visited April 2014

Stirling, United Kingdom
“DO NOT EAT HERE”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stopped off here on our tour through the Lake District. We popped into the Hardknott Bare and Cafe and wished we hadn't bothered.

Atmosphere was good, rugby was on and place was packed. We disappeared into the back where there was a free table and noise level much quieter. No problem so far. Ordered tea for two and I asked for a piece of ginger cake and my husband had a mars bar cake, that had rice krispies in it.

The young waitress was very friendly and delivered our cakes first, then our tea. Oh dear. The cups still had tea rings on the inside and the spoons had seen cleaner days. Hey, we can't all be perfect but when I went to cut into my cake and found mould all along the bottom of it...my stomach turned. My husband by then had nearly finished his cake and admitted that the rice krispies tasted a little stale. We took the cake back. No offer of a refund. The tray of cakes disappeared into the back and a few minutes later returned. I didn't get close enough to check if the cakes had been changed. I wanted out of there as quickly as possible.

I will not be going back and I will be advising others of my experience also.

Eat here at your own risk. I wouldn't like to guess how old the food is.

Such a shame.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Squiz W
Holmrook, United Kingdom
“St Valentines Dinner for two”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Woolpack arranged a special dinner for St Valentine's with food cooked by a guest chef- Tim Brown. After a drink at the bar we went to the Dining Room which was warm and cosy as an open fire was blazing. I had Carpaccio of beef followed by Venison with a TarteTatin to finish. My wife had a Beetroot salad with roasted cashews followed by a Tagine of Olives, tomatoes and chickpeas followed by the Tarte Tatin. The food was excellent and very flavoursome. My venison was extremely tender and could be cut with a fork! Service was good and attentive but we had plenty of time to talk as there was no hurry to finish. Tim Brown cooks every dish fresh from the time of order so we had plenty of time between courses to savour the food we had just had as well as anticipating the next dish to arrive!
We washed the food down with a bottle of Crozes Hermitage and repaired to the bar for a final coffee before going home in a happy and well-fed frame of mind!

• Visited February 2014
“Good family Pub!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Located just outside Boot, friendly owners and nice fires together with restaurant, old style bar and new cafe bar area.

Steak was good, spag bol tasty. Children's lasagne home made and looked good!

Pizza's also looked good.

“Excellent Country Pub”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We have just spent the weekend here and had a very enjoyable time. The staff were most friendly, the food very good and the atmosphere was buzzing.
The room was a bit tired, but we were comfortable and slept well.
Well worth a visit, especially if you enjoy the great outdoors.

• Visited November 2013